Mid season Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mid season Draft

I don't get it, are we gonna retain the majority of the existing list? And if so, WHY?!

Think the plan is to deal with it at the end of the year. Given how few successes come from the MSD I can understand. The year is a write off anyway

Reactions: 1 users
Payne, Blight, Scaife are the names being tossed around who else.

That Davidson lad looks to have something about him in the Tiges VFL side

Reactions: 1 users
If we drafted El Nour and Davidson I would be reasonably happy as both have showed they are a level above VFL.

I know El Nour is injured but is only 6 weeks away.

I believe that we will be drafting for long term players not stop gap players as despite having up to 4 picks Yze only spoke of 2 picks being used.

Reactions: 4 users
Sam looked way off and not the player he once was, but I just think he’s a long work in progress. Ryan is really underwhelming atm and it wouldn’t take much to be than him. I hope you’re right with May, but he hasn’t impressed me so far.
Archie puts himself into positions where he has 4-5 shots at goals per game. He is only now getting rewarded with improved kicking. Some of the others mentioned here for the MYD are nowhere near his level of forward craft or contested marking. Davidson and May loss to another club would be another wasted development effort.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I don't get it, are we gonna retain the majority of the existing list? And if so, WHY?!
Saving money as there are only a dozen games left, but with our injury strike rate we better hang on. I think they're banking on a few blokes returning.

Reactions: 1 user
Archie puts himself into positions where he has 4-5 shots at goals per game. He is only now getting rewarded with improved kicking. Some of the others mentioned here for the MYD are nowhere near his level of forward craft or contested marking. Davidson and May loss to another club would be another wasted development effort.
I disagree with your comments on May bc ATM he would be just a long term project with the possibility of being another Kosi. I don't think he will get picked up by any club as he's miles away , so watch his progress in the VFL for the rest of the year as we can always pick im up in the draft or Rookie draft. There's no reason to panic as there are better options than him currently available.

Graigy
The player chooses to select 18month contract or 6 months.
Over 400 kids have nominated.
Pick 6 of the best contested marking kids who have selected 6 months.
We need to find a Milocheck
Not a bad idea zips if they put 6 months on themselves they’ll be likely to work harder too knowing there is no safety net

Every kid we sign who has nominated an 18 month term will cost the rfc a ND pick basically.

That means the club would need to cut more players.

I don’t think the Tigers are going to cut deep enough at the end of the year to be honest.

Should just take those on 6 month options that way yoh either keep or delist come October rather than have 3 more duds clogging the list for smother 12 months.

That’s my take I might be wrong

• Sad
You can't make a decision on a 6 month contract without a proper preseason or 2. Fact is for every MSD pick you use, you forgoe a ND pick. With the draft picks we have for trading this year we'll have some decent earlyish picks. Would be surprised if we pick more than 1 in the MSD.

You can't make a decision on a 6 month contract without a proper preseason or 2. Fact is for every MSD pick you use, you forgoe a ND pick. With the draft picks we have for trading this year we'll have some decent earlyish picks. Would be surprised if we pick more than 1 in the MSD.

I tend to agree though I think the injuries to Young in particular but also to Naismith may force our hand.

As you say, its unlikely that we make a decision on a MSD recruit within 6 months so we forego a ND pick, so if we take a look at the out of contract players it gives us a gauge as to what they are thinking listwise.

So those out of contract

Likely to be resigned - Miller, Ralphsmith, Ross, Tresize, Smith, MRJ, Lefau, Ryan, Campbell, Green, Dow, Nankervis
Potential retire - Prestia, Martin
Potential trade - Graham, Baker
Probably retire - Grimes, Naismith
Probable delist -
Unsure - McIntosh, Pickett, Coulthard, Cumberland

Colina doesn't matter as he's a Cat B rookie and can only be replaced by another.

There just aren't enough list spots that will be opened IMO to take a heap of players in the MSD, the view that we take a few with a view to discard them is a horrible approach to list management.

I’d take two players on 18 month contracts (key forward and key back - best we can find that we think are worth investing in. We’re rebuilding as of now) and two more players on six month contracts (best available ruck and best available midfielder).

I tend to agree though I think the injuries to Young in particular but also to Naismith may force our hand.

As you say, its unlikely that we make a decision on a MSD recruit within 6 months so we forego a ND pick, so if we take a look at the out of contract players it gives us a gauge as to what they are thinking listwise.

So those out of contract

Likely to be resigned - Miller, Ralphsmith, Ross, Tresize, Smith, MRJ, Lefau, Ryan, Campbell, Green, Dow, Nankervis
Probable delist -

Colina doesn't matter as he's a Cat B rookie and can only be replaced by another.

There just aren't enough list spots that will be opened IMO to take a heap of players in the MSD, the view that we take a few with a view to discard them is a horrible approach to list management.
Did exactly this exercise with my mates on Saturday who were arguing for 3 or 4 MSD picks. When they went through who would leave/be delisted we came up with 7 max (we had Dusty and Prestia staying). If you get good draft selections for Baker and with some good trading for draft selections I can see 3 probably 4 top 20/25 picks. Take those and 2 MSD picks and the list is full.

If you're looking for mid to long term structural set up then we came up with Mutaz and Archie (or Sam) as the ideal selections. Note: We limited it to players we know from our VFL list. If there are better options at other clubs (but of a similar ilk) with a 5+ years of potential AFL football ahead of them then I would say chose them.

On a slight side note I am bemused by the criticism of Archie. He's 19 and 199. Takes contested marks and on Saturday beat an AFL listed player. Curious as to what people want him to do.

So those out of contract

Probable delist -

I see the following player exits this year:

Likely to be resigned - Miller, Ralphsmith, Ross, Tresize, Smith, MRJ, Lefau, Ryan, Campbell, Green, Nankervis
Potential retire - Prestia, Martin, Pickett, KMac , Grimes
Delist - Naismith, Coulthard as 18 months are up
Unsure - Cumberland -delist likely, Dow- probably survive

Colina doesn't matter as he's a Cat B rookie and can only be replaced by another, but will be delisted.

Between 7-11 players need replacing.

I see the following player exits this year:

Likely to be resigned - Miller, Ralphsmith, Ross, Tresize, Smith, MRJ, Lefau, Ryan, Campbell, Green, Nankervis
Potential retire - Prestia, Martin, Pickett, KMac , Grimes
Delist - Naismith, Coulthard as 18 months are up
Unsure - Cumberland -delist likely, Dow- probably survive

Colina doesn't matter as he's a Cat B rookie and can only be replaced by another, but will be delisted.

Between 7-11 players need replacing.

I suspect only 2 or 3 of those in the potential retire column will leave, we won't let all that experience leave and most are still best 22 or borderline best 22 anyway.

Reckon we'd be looking at around 7 maybe 8 leaving, if we take 2 in the MSD then we can only replace 5-6 at the ND and RD's. It still goes back to the same point, with the hand we have, we won't want to be losing flexibility due to the MSD picks we take. We will take 1/2 on 18 month contracts, there is a chance that we take a ruck on a 6 month contract just to get us through to the end of the year, but that pick is likely to be purely insurance based if we do.

I suspect only 2 or 3 of those in the potential retire column will leave, we won't let all that experience leave and most are still best 22 or borderline best 22 anyway.

Reckon we'd be looking at around 7 maybe 8 leaving, if we take 2 in the MSD then we can only replace 5-6 at the ND and RD's. It still goes back to the same point, with the hand we have, we won't want to be losing flexibility due to the MSD picks we take. We will take 1/2 on 18 month contracts, there is a chance that we take a ruck on a 6 month contract just to get us through to the end of the year, but that pick is likely to be purely insurance based if we do.
Martin and Prestia will be offered contracts.

Prestia will transition into an assistant / development coach similar to Lambert.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users