Midfield Depth | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Midfield Depth

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I think they have to get RCD in the side. For all his faults his one wood is first hands on the ball and ability to distribute out of the contest - we are in desperate need of that type of player. He kicks goals too.

We might just have to wear his lack of defensive ability and running capability… short bursts might be his go.
Riley has to play. if he fails? We move on..but we have to find out.

Reactions: 7 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
We had no money for Cerra. Can't fault the club for that.

Everyone on PRE spoke about us HAVING cap space to afford a free agent. I was with you in saying we had none but the prevailing wisdom was that we had the money to go after something.

If we have Cerra last night, it's a different game. But we were never in the hunt for him. And the price would've been the same as the Prestia in terms of draft capital. And we didn't even go after Dunstan. I think that's probably an indication of how tight our cap really is.

We need to bring in some free agents and draft mids. Our draft position has something to do it with it but we don't seem to like drafting them all that much.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
I think we saw last night what we saw in the last half of last season. The midfield just couldn't compete for long enough. Pickett was the only player who could cover the ground for four quarters. We were obliterated in the last quarter. Having Kaps back will help.

The club is probably a bit hamstrung by the contracts paid to the Chimp and Meatball. The Chimp will get a statue when he is finished but he is really battling. It looks like the Meatball and Lambert's bodies are shot. That is a lot of coin tied up in players who can't get on the park. If you put Cerra and Hewitt in our side we would have won.

I think we may be following the Brisbane dynasty of having four great years and then falling off the cliff. It is very difficult to balance paying the champs the right amount. The club has to balance their past deeds with what they are worth right now.

I think we are bottom six without Prestia. I am not sure we have drafted well from 2018 - 2020. Covid hasn't helped but I don't think there is one midfielder from that period who is guaranteed to make it. We need to find out about Ross, RCD, Dow, Martyn this year. It's no point carrying them if they aren't going to make it.

The undisciplined acts were disappointing. It's another sign of a great team frustrated by not being what they once were.
Excellent post.

Reactions: 4 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Everyone on PRE spoke about us HAVING cap space to afford a free agent.

If we have Cerra last night, it's a different game. But we were never in the hunt for him. And we didn't even go after Dunstan. I thnk that's probably an indication of how tight our cap really is.

We need to bring in some free agents and draft mids. Our draft position has something to do it with it but we don't seem to like drafting them all that much.

The cap space thing was fake news Scooper.

And yeah agree with everything else mate.

Reactions: 1 user

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
The midfield's problem isn't necessarily it doesn't win clearances. When we were dominating, we didn't win clearances. The midfield's problem is that last season and this game the midfield isn't able to affect opposition's clearances. The opposition's midfield waltz out of a stoppage with no pressure whatsoever which puts the backline under too much pressure.

Reactions: 8 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I've been banging this drum for years. Sooner or later it was going to haunt us.

Too many part time mids and not not enough true mids.
I'm not saying you're wrong, and I agree up to a point, but a busted clock is right twice a day :cool:

I think it will be a year of transition, assessment, development, the club has ample political credit for that, 2 years even. Cotch and Jack, at minimum, off the books next year frees up a heap of dough, we'll know where our young players are at, the good ones will be a year older, and the chances are we'll have some good picks.

The drum I've banged for years is that its a numbers game. We are and will continue to be above statistical trend draft-wise, but lack of early picks and paying top money for ageing legends will still get ya.

Last edited:

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
I think we saw last night what we saw in the last half of last season. The midfield just couldn't compete for long enough. Pickett was the only player who could cover the ground for four quarters. We were obliterated in the last quarter. Having Kaps back will help.

The club is probably a bit hamstrung by the contracts paid to the Chimp and Meatball. The Chimp will get a statue when he is finished but he is really battling. It looks like the Meatball and Lambert's bodies are shot. That is a lot of coin tied up in players who can't get on the park. If you put Cerra and Hewitt in our side we would have won.

I think we may be following the Brisbane dynasty of having four great years and then falling off the cliff. It is very difficult to balance paying the champs the right amount. The club has to balance their past deeds with what they are worth right now.

I think we are bottom six without Prestia. I am not sure we have drafted well from 2018 - 2020. Covid hasn't helped but I don't think there is one midfielder from that period who is guaranteed to make it. We need to find out about Ross, RCD, Dow, Martyn this year. It's no point carrying them if they aren't going to make it.

The undisciplined acts were disappointing. It's another sign of a great team frustrated by not being what they once were.
Agree with all, but not as strong re the last paragraph. Maybe a few of the 50’s

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The midfield's problem isn't necessarily it doesn't win clearances. When we were dominating, we didn't win clearances. The midfield's problem is that last season and this game the midfield isn't able to affect opposition's clearances. The opposition's midfield waltz out of a stoppage with no pressure whatsoever which puts the backline under too much pressure.

Yep, both - can't win the clearance and allow the other side to get clean clearances as opposed to pressuring them and their clearance is a dump kick forward.

But, while we did often lose clearances when at our best, we fixed that up in the finals in 2020 as we knew it was a problem. However, it was a temporary fix and now it needs to be a permanent fix.

Get RCD and Dow in so we can see if they are good enough. If Ross plays, it is in the middle as he is not quick enough for the wing. Let's see what they have to offer so we can make decisions about their future at the end of the year.

DS

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
It's not as simple as saying we need big, pure midfielders.

This club is in a defiant tactical position - we still like to set up a choking, turnover game, despite rule changes making that less viable for us. Let the oppo clear it if they have beasts at the coal face but degrade it if possible. We like mids who can win loose ball gets, run and link, pump out repeat 200m sorties up and down the length of the ground.

That's how we won our flags - not by having 190cm leviathans ripping the ball out of congestion.

This is not to say we don't have a midfield depth problem. But targeting ball winners doesn't serve the turnover template.

Are we a club evolving the turnover format? Possibly. We've already selected as much height as we can cram in.

We can't add ball-winning power. We don't have it. The coaches will work out another way. Dimma hinted at it - one thing we CAN do is shore up team defence against teams with big-bodied clearance mids.

I don't think we respected Carlton enough TBH.

Watch out for a VERY defensive game against GWS next week. Gonna be real interesting. If I was a betting man I'd be banking on a result under two goals either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
He had a disrupted preseason. I reckon he will be in once fit- though it might be next week regardless, for Prestia.
He had sore ribs for a week and a half.
Prior to that he had a very solid body of work.
Watched the magoos with Caesar yesterday. He is miiiiiiiiiles off it. Looks to be carrying too much weight around the flanks and his running from contest to contest has not improved. More or less unsighted for the entire game.
Be careful what you wish for bringing him into the side.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
He had sore ribs for a week and a half.
Prior to that he had a very solid body of work.
Watched the magoos with Caesar yesterday. He is miiiiiiiiiles off it. Looks to be carrying too much weight around the flanks and his running from contest to contest has not improved. More or less unsighted for the entire game.
Be careful what you wish for bringing him into the side.
Give us some hope DA? How did Dow play?