MLB 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MLB 2023

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
All the Oakland teams end up in Vegas :LOL:

View attachment 21083
The owner is an absolute douche but it’s the right move regardless. The Colosseum in Oakland is a disgrace. It’s in a dangerous area and completely run down. Last time I was there was about 2008 and there was raw sewage running down the walls inside the stadium walkways. I can only imagine what it’s like now. The city has never shown much interest in funding a new stadium and the fan base is on the marginal side.

Vegas has 3 million people now and growing at a phenomenal rate. The location (next to MGM Grand) of the new stadium and the plans are outstanding. They’ll sell that place out regularly, unlike Oakland which struggles to get 20,000 and is mostly away fans in any case.

Reactions: 1 user

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
The owner is an absolute douche but it’s the right move regardless. The Colosseum in Oakland is a disgrace. It’s in a dangerous area and completely run down. Last time I was there was about 2008 and there was raw sewage running down the walls inside the stadium walkways. I can only imagine what it’s like now. The city has never shown much interest in funding a new stadium and the fan base is on the marginal side.

Vegas has 3 million people now and growing at a phenomenal rate. The location (next to MGM Grand) of the new stadium and the plans are outstanding. They’ll sell that place out regularly, unlike Oakland which struggles to get 20,000 and is mostly away fans in any case.
I agree, Oakland just doesn't have the money and is in the right area in town to keep them. They should have gone years ago from Oakland cause the council never gave them any love.

As an example, 49ers moved from their outdated stadium to a place in a better area, A's finally did the same thing (y)

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Largest contract in sports history has been signed.

Ohtani to the Dodgers for $700m (USD). Or, in Australian dollars, $1.06 billion.

How much is Dusty on again ?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Don’t really follow the MLB.

Is any or all of that contract guaranteed?

He's deferring nearly all of it until he's contract's up :oops::unsure:

Also, my understanding as well as helping the team - see below, he's making $50-100M a year from endorsements, so he don't need that $700M immediately :rolleyes:

"In an effort to enable the Dodgers to continue spending around stars Ohtani, Mookie Betts and Freddie Freeman, Ohtani agreed to defer all but $2 million of his annual salary — $68 million of his $70 million per year — until after the completion of the contract.

The deferred money is to be paid out without interest from 2034 to 2043.

That means the Dodgers will only pay $2 million per year during the years of Ohtani’s contract, then $68 million in each of the next 10 years after the contract.

Screenshot_20231212_222446_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231212_222210_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231212_222200_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Thinking about it, a good strategy by Ohtani :unsure:

Re California Tax, he'll pay tax on $2M a year the next 10 years.

Then goes back to Japanese and receives $68M a year for 10 years.

And gets taxed at lower rate than if he was receiving $70M a year living in California :cool:

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
I think most Boston fans want Henry and FSG out too.
Letting players like Mookie Betts go, especially to the Dodgers was bad for the organisation. You just can't let players like that go, especially as you won a World Series in 2018, he's a Dodger by 2020 :(

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Letting players like Mookie Betts go, especially to the Dodgers was bad for the organisation. You just can't let players like that go, especially as you won a World Series in 2018, he's a Dodger by 2020 :(
It’s not just Betts, it’s a host of players plus an unwillingness to go hard in the FA market which all the big teams do. Red Sox fans are not used to that and demand better. Henry and FSG are on the nose big time in Red Sox Nation.

2023 they had the 13th largest payroll. 13th ! They are supposed to be 1 or 2.

Henry is a proper ahole too.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Thinking about it, a good strategy by Ohtani :unsure:

Re California Tax, he'll pay tax on $2M a year the next 10 years.

Then goes back to Japanese and receives $68M a year for 10 years.

And gets taxed at lower rate than if he was receiving $70M a year living in California :cool:
He probably doesnt play the last year he's on contract, so he can live in Japan or Bermuda or wherever.
Plus Dodgers skimp on the lux tax, build a stronger roster so he's a better chance to get onfield success.
Smart play.
Can see it becoming more common in more sports. Would tou do a similar contract for Shai? Yep.

Interestingly Phtani is injured and u likely to pitch in 24. May still bat though.
Long term plans

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
He probably doesnt play the last year he's on contract, so he can live in Japan or Bermuda or wherever.
Plus Dodgers skimp on the lux tax, build a stronger roster so he's a better chance to get onfield success.
Smart play.
Can see it becoming more common in more sports. Would tou do a similar contract for Shai? Yep.

Interestingly Phtani is injured and u likely to pitch in 24. May still bat though.
Long term plans
Dudes also making over $50M a year from marketing, so it's not the $2M a year will be bad for him for 10 years. And likely to increase now he's a Dodger.

So I'd definitely do a similar deal to bring an international team mate, and help the team add more good/great players to the roster. For sure (y)

I looked at the Dodgers attendance last year, they led the league.

As they're on the better side of America for the travelling Japanese fans to go and see them, the West Coast, they're a good chance of reaching the stadium capacity for 81 games a season over the next 10 years.

Even guessing the extra 9,000+ fans a game at say $100 a ticket avg is around $1M a game, close to $70M in revenue a year.

Even an avg of $50 a ticket x 81 games is $32M a season which makes the deal by the Dodgers, adding all the merchandise, food and drinks spent, an awesome deal for them (y)

FB_IMG_1703247591088.jpg