Morabito question | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Morabito question

Barnzy

What about me?
Mar 6, 2009
14 pages of discussion and the boy has already got his papers to Freo stamped. ;D

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Morabito

Well most pundits seem to have us taking Dustin Martin at pick 3.
There are others who rate Morabito a bit higher, some even say he may become the best from the draft.
I profess I don't know much about any of these players apart from what's written about them and video highlight packages.
I believe it's a given that Martin is close to elite with his kicking skills off either foot a natural footballer?
He's an inside and outside mid, has speed,good size, height, tough etc

Morabito, physically is an imposing specimen. But to me his kicking seems a bit hit and miss and up and under. (I confess, only going by video footage)
I know claw and Mr Magic rate Morabito very highly.

I was wondering what attributes may make Morabito a better prospect. Is he a better kick, dual sided, how do his footskills and overall skills compare to Martin's.
Or is it perhaps that physically, he's further advanced for his age group. Has he played senior footy at all? Will his (current) physique hold him in good staid playing at afl level (perhaps less of an advantage vs solid,hardened men as opposed to young players in his age group) vs any perceived skill set deficiency.
He's been compared as being "Goodes-like" has he as much upside? Or is it more X factor about him?

Is it natural footballer (Martin) vs x factor (Morabito).
Any opinions of those who may have seen both these boys play in the flesh would be appreciated.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Re: Morabito

Good poser that wil stir up the usual suspects Willo. ;D

Leysy isn't backwards in coming forwards when it comes to expressing his views on juniors. But really havent seen enough of them this year to have strong opinions.

But FWIW & from the games leysy has seen & heard there isn't a bee's pubic hair between them. Martin is a little but tidier by foot but Morabito has excellent depth to his kicking off either foot which leysy loves.

Morabito has also been good for a very poor team in the Peel firsts in the WAFL.

We're in a good spot where we have the choice between two very good & potentially excellent players.

Mr Magic

The Centre of Perfection
Dec 7, 2006

I am conflicted on this one, so will sit it out.

However what I can say is that the first time I saw Morabito play this year I left convinced I had just seen Pavlich MkII

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach

Mr Magic said:
I am conflicted on this one, so will sit it out.

However what I can say is that the first time I saw Morabito play this year I left convinced I had just seen Pavlich MkII
That sounds like a big wrap!

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia

willo said:
Morabito, physically is an imposing specimen. But to me his kicking seems a bit hit and miss and up and under. (I confess, only going by video footage)
I know claw and Mr Magic rate Morabito very highly.

Hey Willo. From what video I have seen of him on the net, the footage of Morabito was put together by the Dockers in a weak attempt to encourage us not to draft him. Of course, that might be a good tactic if the rumours about us drafting JON on video footage alone are correct.

I agree that his kicking doesn't look great in the footage I have seen. But it is not an accurate assessment. I saw this kid play 3 times this year for Peel, and he looks a player.

His physical characteristics are one thing, but he has very good skills to compliment this. His kicking is long and generally looks to have good penetration. The ball seems to stick to his hands, and he has great awareness when in a pack situation (reminded me a bit of James Hird). My only knock on him was that I saw him get run down from behind a couple of times. But that tended to be after he carried the ball 15-20m, meaning he had plenty of time to get rid of it. His decision making looks good, so I put this down to a lack of talk from team mates more than anything else.

To me, another big tick is his WAFL experience. As Leysy points out, he has been a standout in a very poor team, and has more than held his own physically.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach

Streak said:
Hey Willo. From what video I have seen of him on the net, the footage of Morabito was put together by the Dockers in a weak attempt to encourage us not to draft him. Of course, that might be a good tactic if the rumours about us drafting JON on video footage alone are correct.

I agree that his kicking doesn't look great in the footage I have seen. But it is not an accurate assessment. I saw this kid play 3 times this year for Peel, and he looks a player.

His physical characteristics are one thing, but he has very good skills to compliment this. His kicking is long and generally looks to have good penetration. The ball seems to stick to his hands, and he has great awareness when in a pack situation (reminded me a bit of James Hird). My only knock on him was that I saw him get run down from behind a couple of times. But that tended to be after he carried the ball 15-20m, meaning he had plenty of time to get rid of it. His decision making looks good, so I put this down to a lack of talk from team mates more than anything else.

To me, another big tick is his WAFL experience. As Leysy points out, he has been a standout in a very poor team, and has more than held his own physically.
Thanks for your opinion Streak, its a bit hard to gauge from 1 video clip. I'd rather an opinion from someone who has actually watched him play. Playing in WAFL seniors would only enhance his prospects I'd imagine.
Just wanted to put the topic out there as there are conflicting reports on Morabito. Rumours the dockers may overlook him vs some who reckon he could evolve into the best from the draft.
Appreciate your input.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

Agree with all of what Streak says. I saw him twice live at the u'18's champs and was super impressed both times. Also got some tape on him from the WAFL this year. Just knew that I was watching the next Adam Goodes. PRE has been sent into hyper drive by the pro Dustin Martin faction who have slammed Morabito at every chance.

Many on here have never seen him play and are already talking his kicking down. His kicking is quick through the air and always has penetration. Morabito rarely double grabs the ball, is very clean in the air or on the ground. The thing that I liked about him was the fact that he was a great tackler and always looked to sheppard and block for his team mates.

In three years I think Morabito can pinch hit as a hard running CHF, can be the ideal third tall running from the back half but I really see him being a Adam Goodes type ruck rover.

Either way we go with Martin or Morabito we get that bigger onballer with class. It is super close between the two.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach

SCOOP said:
Agree with all of what Streak says. I saw him twice live at the u'18's champs and was super impressed both times. Also got some tape on him from the WAFL this year. Just knew that I was watching the next Adam Goodes. PRE has been sent into hyper drive by the pro Dustin Martin faction who have slammed Morabito at every chance.

Many on here have never seen him play and are already talking his kicking down. His kicking is quick through the air and always has penetration. Morabito rarely double grabs the ball, is very clean in the air or on the ground. The thing that I liked about him was the fact that he was a great tackler and always looked to sheppard and block for his team mates.

In three years I think Morabito can pinch hit as a hard running CHF, can be the ideal third tall running from the back half but I really see him being a Adam Goodes type ruck rover.

Either way we go with Martin or Morabito we get that bigger onballer with class. It is super close between the two.
Who's your fancy Scoop?

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia

For anyone interested, Morabito played an absolute blinder in a Freo intraclub game yesterday. Thank God Martin looks the goods, and hopefully it will be the Demons who have to deal with "Buddy/Bling" syndrome.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

Streak said:
For anyone interested, Morabito played an absolute blinder in a Freo intraclub game yesterday. Thank God Martin looks the goods, and hopefully it will be the Demons who have to deal with "Buddy/Bling" syndrome.
Intraclub = probables against maybes in a bit of touch footy, similar to our game at Craigieburn pretty irrelevant compared to a real game or even a NAB game.
Won't be surprised at all if Mora becomes a quality player along with Scully, Trengove and our very own PitBull. They were all seriously rated at juniors.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia

TigerMasochist said:
Intraclub = probables against maybes in a bit of touch footy, similar to our game at Craigieburn pretty irrelevant compared to a real game or even a NAB game.

Maybe TM, but he really dominated. There was certainly no Docker who could match up on him. Think he is going to be a nightmare for opposition coaches.

Barnzy

What about me?
Mar 6, 2009

Streak said:
Maybe TM, but he really dominated. There was certainly no Docker who could match up on him. Think he is going to be a nightmare for opposition coaches.

I heard he was decent also but from most reports from Freo fans who went said his kicking was average. I'm happy we didn't select him.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

Streak said:
That wouldn't surprise me streaker, I would have been happy to pick up Mora at the draft but we took Dustin. Can't really see anyone being unhappy with any of the first four picks.

Uncle

" Black ops?"
Apr 24, 2009

Clinton said:
Im glad we picked Martin, seems to be the better player of the 2 at the moment.
Agree , but Morabito IMO will need a couple of years before you see him at his best.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

Shattered for him. Showed heaps in his first year. And got better in the finals.

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005

Confirmed second reco required.

Be devastating to be drafted at 4, a big rep with the sporting world at your feet to be hit twice in 3 years.