Morabito question | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Morabito question

Tigerbob said:
I will reply to you tomorrow Leysy Lad. Just busy doing a report right now.

Nice long post, but will have it out with ya on a few points from what I did read.

Fair enough Bob. Submissions for Newidea recipe's cutoff at 12?

Leysy Days said:
Fair enough Bob. Submissions for Newidea recipe's cutoff at 12?

:hihi

Not quite, but I will cop a grilling *boom tish* if I do not get this report in by tomorrow morning.

Leysy Days said:
Just bemused by the constant dissing of Morabito on here amongst the big 3....

Does Morabito have the tank to play as permanent midfielder?
If he plays as a wingman, is pick 3 too high a price?
Is he a sure bet with his kicking?
Is he capable of kicking regular goals?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning the his talent merely wondering if he's a midfield solution.

Just reflecting on the potential  'immaturity' of players like Morabito is it completely a bad thing? 

Going to the other end of the scale, with a player like Ben Cunnington, who is super professional (see the excerpt below) you do have to wonder how much room for improvement they have when they get into the AFL system.  Just a thought...

Falcons regional manager Michael Turner rates Cunnington as "the most professional player I have seen in 15 years of TAC Cup".

He monitors and measures his food intake and sleep patterns, and has travelled 2 1/2 hours by car, each way, to get from his home town of Princetown, to training each week for two seasons.

"It's always been my dream to play AFL footy and I've been doing everything I can, since I can remember to be able to get there," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ben-cunnington-set-to-make-big-impact-in-national-draft/story-e6frf9jf-1225781343235

WesternTiger said:
Be the first time in 5 years that the RFC coach has been at the draft camp would it not?

Yep. LOL at the people who defended TW not being there, if its good enough for the other coaches I'd say its an important few days.

I'm a Martin fan but if we did go Morabito it wouldnt bother me. It's not Cotchin/Morton panic stations.

Im starting to swing with the Morabito hype. Dont forget they plonked Martin in the centre of the AA team. I dont know much about rating juniors, but pretty excited well have one of Martin, Morabito or maybe even JT. My gut still says Martin, purely for his kicking.

Leysy Days said:
Leysy's normally with you on the boards Bobby. Couldnt be poles further apart on Morabito though Geordie lad.

On the draft camp. Leysy's long held the belief its an overrated tool. Good for the layman to get a lookin at some basic results perhaps. But clubs should have enough knowledge to have there likely selections down pat by now.

On the bolded above. Reckon you need to be VERY wary of dissing young 17 y.o kids because of interviews or supposed personities that you state we need to look out for.

Leysy's of the belief that you need to draft who you believe will be the most talented kids not next year but in the future. You should pretty much disregard phyche tests & interviews. They are bloody footballers for leysy's sake. Not civil engineers. & most importantly are 17 & 18 year old kids straight out of school that have a lot of maturing to do. Nearly all grow up once in the system along with natural maturity.

Heck look at us overlooking Buddy & Mitch Clark for similar "personality faults". DAre say there's another 20 seasons of near All Aus worthy seasons worth between them just there. :-\ Look at clubs overlooking Cyril for the exact same reason. John Beveridge overlooking the obvious talent for a solid workaholic ruck in McEvoy has without question cost his club & 100,000 supporters a premiership...

Back on Morabito's interview. He knows he will stay home & be drafted by Freo if we overlook him... Who could blame him for being laconic in an interview. If we deem him the most talented football it should be COMPLETELY disregarded. Once guys move into a new club they soon create a new circle of friends & nearly all never look back.

He aint an X factor ToO. He was WA MVP in the national champs & won the WAFL rising star.
He performed well in a woeful bottom of the ladder team in a strong comp against men. He was part of very young team & received little to no protection because of that.

Leysy's of the belief that RFC supporters (are perhaps quire rightly) burnt & scarred by picks in the past.

But facts are we overlooked the aforementioned supposed "loose cannons" like Buddy & Clark & have since taken the supposed sae option "footballers" that have dropped in the draft namely Hughes, Connors & Rance who were meant to go way earlier in recent years. We shouldn't be scared from taking player with a higher ceiling because of the past.

Saying that Martin looks an excellent prospect & Trengrove a better one that would suit us perfectly. Just bemused by the constant dissing of Morabito on here amongst the big 3....

Also more bemusing is the fact that Butcher (& leysy's no fan) was talked up by nearly all & sundry on here as who we should take at 3 a month ago....

He's played one game in the bush since & Martin none yet the heard mentality on here has swung totally around. (Which is quite right with those two yet amusing none the less). ;D

Okay, where do I start.

Yep, we are usually on the same page mate, but in this instance, we disagree. Not by much I might add, my thoughts on Morabito are is he is a good talent, I just have some queries. If all said and done Frank and Cameron think he is the best fit, well who am I to argue?

My thinking is on pure natural footballing ability. Martin is cleaner. He is more footballed skilled. He is a more natural football thinker. That's my observations.

On the main point about interviews, I still value them very highly. At Brisbane, one of the main people behind the recruiting was a man by the name of Phil Jauncey. He was the psychologist and would often talk to the kids and give them tests to fill out. A key requirement with Brisbanes recruiting was having strong personalities and strong natural leaders. If you got to the say third round and there was two kids that were of similar talent, the intellectual process would come into play and be an important component in which way they would recruit. It is about covering everything to the maximum to optimise your selection. A kid will no doubt change as he matures from a 17 to 18 year old, but their key principles and make up would be known by that age. To argue the point more accurately I would need to get a qualified psychologist to discuss it further, it certainly isn't in my knowledge base, but in my opinion, intellectual research and tests are a very important aspect in the recruitment process.

We did overlook buddy and Mitch Clark, but funny enough the two clubs with the best intellectual processes got these two youngsters in Hawthorn and Brisbane. Funny how that works sometimes. Did they find something that others could not see? If Morabito wants to act out staying in Perth fo Fremantle, I wouldn't blame him either, but would avoid him all the same. Hopefully we have testting that does get the right reading on him. Looking from the outside in, and again I am no expert, he looks a little aloof and I have my doubts. Again, just my opinion.

I will agree with you on one regard, and that's Richmond supporters might be a bit put off with past records by our club. To me, Morabito still needs a bit of work fundamentally in terms of his skills. Far too many fumbles and floaters. Where Martin is more cleaner and a much better kick and disposal player. We just need to refine his physical attributes. I can't help but think because we are Richmond, Martin is the safer and better choice for us.

Whatever said and done, both are fine prospects and hopefully the guys in charge make the correct choice. We just cannot stuff this choice up. Just can't.

Not bad Bob, makes sense but stick to Newidea recipe's all the same when it comes to Morabito. ;D

I am not going to be shattered if we get Martin.

Young gun Morabito showing all the Goodes

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/85568/default.aspx

Geez after watching some highlights of him the way he moves is Adam Goodes down to a tee.

Having said that though, I'd still rather Martin or Trengove at 3.

would morabito be a bit like lids with his speed, marking and goal kicking, would be nice to have 2 super quick mids that can go forward and do damage, lids shouldnt come off the ground in 2010, should start in the mid and then rest in the pocket,

skiptomystu said:
Geez after watching some highlights of him the way he moves is Adam Goodes down to a tee.

Having said that though, I'd still rather Martin or Trengove at 3.

Not as tall as Goodes though and never will be.

The secrecy surrounding Morabito is amazing,very much like Franklin a few yrs ago.You can find as many vid clips and opinions as you like about Trengove,scully,Butcher,Martin,etc,But even searching WA articles and wafl news,hardly a thing.It was exactly the same as Franklin and Morabito has a so called minor injury at present and has not trained for 5 weeks.When the 2 wa clubs were recently asked about him,the calmly both said yeh,we will look at him with nobody from wa willing to elaborate too much at all about Morobito.The only clips that can be found of him seem to be ones that show little errors and so called kicking defitioncies and not the true facts that he and to a lesser extent Rowan,are the two most explosive players in the draft and it is clear that nobody from wa wants a vic club to draft Morabito.Also,forget the stories about off field issues with him,just another put off line,and the only wa person that has been honest about Morabito has been Robert Wiley who says he will be anything.Would be my pick even if we had pick 1,and the honest pundits know he can pass a ball bullet like 50m on to the chest of a lead,and can break tackles at will and weave around players like no mans buisness.I personaly hope the dees do not take him as i believe with development he will prove to be the best in this draft.My only querie is if we pick him,Hardwick must find out the thoughts of Morabito and suss out if he is one that may get home sick and eventualy want to head back to wa,if that can be sorted,Damien,i hope you take him! p.s,at 17,there is every chance he will grow very close to another 4 cm,if not 3,so will be very close to Goods height anyway.

Dreamtime the old WA guys are at it again trying to play their talent down. If we were a side with a proven track record of development then this could be a great coup but the problem is we are not and therefore need the proven talent of which Trengove and Martin are so they are the safer pick.

Any chance Scully may drop ? Any chance Melb would go Trengove & Morabito - wouldn't that change things !

Will watch Morabito with interest in future but I imagine he will be at Freo - suitable replacement for Headland.

For what it's worth I reckon Morabito might not come up smelling of roses in the interviews.

No chance Scully will drop,there has been too much hype about him for almost a year now.Yes,trengove a slightly safer bet,and may even end up better than rich,so we will leave the headache to the dees.All in all,Morabito is not the risk some are saying,it is all part of the undersell surrounding Morabito,i have never seen a player kept virtualy hidden from clips and info,and i can assure,it is not for no reason and if he does reach what most wa people think without saying so,he is just going to be something special.As said earlier,the same secrecy surrounded buddy Franklin and Morabito can be explosive in the mid,or key posi,however,Trengove,or especialy Rowan would please me no end with Rowan an absoloute star of the future with his kicking efficiency of 77% unmatched by any at the camp,that is stunning,77% and he runs through packs and is up near the top in the sprints.By the time draft comes,Scully will still be rated number 1,but i think there are 2 or 3 players that will be better,time will tell,but for me,Morabito,Rowan,Trengove in that order with scully,Martin next.

You may well have found clips,but they wont be showing anything of his best,wa are making sure of that,they will show only the odd good thing but they are going out of their way to try and put melbourne clubs off because they have seen him grow up in their ranks.