Movies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Movies

Watched Jobs the other night and thought it was quite good. Kutcher very good as Jobs too.

Phantom said:
Is Rush the film about F1 car racing during the 1970s, including James Hunt?

I meant to see this film but didn't quite get around to it, then forgot what it was called.

That's the one. Ripper film. Both central performances are top shelf.

Watched Wolf of Wall st. Typically good stuff from Dicaprio and Scorsese but 3 hrs??

tigertim said:
Watched Wolf of Wall st. Typically good stuff from Dicaprio and Scorsese but 3 hrs??

Yeah, way too long. Complaints in the Gulf about 44 or so minutes (the naughty bits) being cut out. I could have easily taken 44 mins out of it but they wouldn't have been the same as what the Gulf censors decided to snip.

antman said:
Yeah, that was a great ending to the Return of The King - Saruman, having has lost his magic, has become a cheap standover hoodlum going by the name of Sharkey and has a party of evil men and hobbits (including Grima Wormtongue) running standover rackets and generally terrorising the Shire, our hobbit heroes return and kick arse. HOBBITS GONE WILD

The Scouring of the Shire would have made a great little short film all by itself!
For all it's faults, (I first read the Lord of the Rings as a 12/13yr old & about 10 times over the years), I really enjoyed the movies.

Took my daughter to see the second Hobbit movie on Tuesday - rather than get annoyed by Legolas being in it etc I watched it as a seperate entity to the book, thought it was pretty good overall, dwarf barrel ridiculousness aside, & Smaug was teriffic.

Finally.

Rush 10/10.
Bloody fantastic.

Great performances by our own Chris Hemsworth as James Hunt and Daniel Bruhl as Niki Lauda.

A great story that actuallly happened in real life.

Incredible racing cinematogrophy that matches the real life footage almost exactly.

You get to see those magnificent racing machines of the 70s with humungous rear tyres and the magical looking Tyrell with the four front wheels.

Lauda had balls of steel while Hunt used his in a different way. :hihi

Top film.

Tigers of Old said:
Mud was worth a watch. Matthew McConaughey in his best ever role.

Cheers ToO, and CMT will give it, and Dallas Buyers Club and Rush a go. Not sure when I'm going to get any work done.

Saw a very interesting film on the city of Rome, last night, La Grande Bellezza (The Great Beauty).

Journalist Jep Gambardella has charmed and seduced his way through the lavish nightlife of Rome for decades. Since the legendary success of his one and only novel, he has been a permanent fixture in the city's literary and social circles, but when his sixty-fifth birthday coincides with a shock from the past, Jep finds himself unexpectedly taking stock of his life, turning his cutting wit on himself and his contemporaries, and looking past the extravagant nightclubs, parties, and cafés to find Rome in all its glory: a timeless landscape of absurd, exquisite beauty. (Wikipedia)

It reminded me of La Dolce Vita and many other Frederico Fellini films that offer a narrative critique of the upper circles of a corrupted Roman / Italian society.
It's not for everyone but for those with an acquired taste for these films. I enjoyed it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxWdwx5Hkiw[/youtube]

Not quite a movie, but last night we went to the new Plenary at the back of the MCEC to see the Doctor Who Symphonic Spectacular, performed by the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra to videos from both the classic and modern series.

The performances, running in Australia and New Zealand from last night to February 22nd, are based on the Doctor Who at the Proms 2013.
Not only was there music and video, but also had Daleks, Cybermen, etc on stage and moving through the audience.

I have attached a video of the Proms version to give you an idea of how spectacular it was.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3MLU6fvlzE[/youtube]

Well we were just talking about him, sad news this morning that Phillip Seymour Hoffman has died, probably from a drug overdose, RIP.

IanG said:
Well we were just talking about him, sad news this morning that Phillip Seymour Hoffman has died, probably from a drug overdose, RIP.
Bugger me! That's terrible. Loved him.

And in other news, the daughter of Woody Allen and Mia Farrow has confirmed that he did sexually abuse her:

http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/01/an-open-letter-from-dylan-farrow/

I don't see how he can come back from this.

IanG said:

Geez we really put the mockers on him, talking him up like that. RIP