Movies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Movies

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
mexican_radio said:
I was more than happy with the ending. I thought it was a magnificent movie, loved the whole thing.

While I loved gravity and don't understand the criticism ('castaway in space') I thought the last 10 minutes took some of the gloss away. Not surprised it won best director. Mesmerising, edge of the seat stuff...

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Told that the new 300 film has come out, with extra nookies.

Always liked a good deep & meaningful historical drama with lots of savage nookies.

Chiang Mai Tiger

Time for some Tiger Payback
Jun 17, 2004
Thailand
Just watched 'Nashville' the 1975 Robert Altman directed film.

Hard to pin down an accurate description of the movie but a musical drama/satire about American politics, culture and country music is pretty close to the mark.

Many great characters and set pieces in this movie. The part where Sueleen is forced to strip at the political fundraiser is one of the most saddest scenes I've seen on film.

Well worth a view for those that haven't seen it yet.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Phantom said:
Emmanuelle star Sylvia Kristel dies

Whatever your feelings about Kristel and her film genre, movies are an incredible multi-media resource for learning and understanding. Kristel's films were an early insight into the sexuality of women, whether fictitious or not.
In retrospect, it tells a tawdry tale of her exploitation. Similar to Linda Lovelace & Edith Piaf, in their own ways.

An interesting story.

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/movies/emmanuelle-star-sylvia-kristel-dies-20121019-27uut.html

Hey Phanto, just noticed that Emmanuelle is on World Movies at 9.30pm next Thursday (March 20).

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I read that some Muslim countries will not be showing Russell Crowes new movie "Noah" because it's blasphemous to their God Allah.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
TigerForce said:
Hey Phanto, just noticed that Emmanuelle is on World Movies at 9.30pm next Thursday (March 20).

Uh!

Unfortunately, I don't have Foxtel.

Although, it would be interesting to see how the film has dated over the decades.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
Saw Nebraska last night. A road movie by the same guy who directed sideways and the descendants.

Really good movie. Bruce Dern is terrific and Stacey Keach has a small part which he plays well. Black and white which adds to the bleakness the movie portrays, yet warm and optimistic at the same time.

Worth a watch.

Reservoirtiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Nov 27, 2013
Finally got around to seeing captain Phillips... Thoroughly enjoyed it... Rare a movie can maintain being tense and gripping for the duration... Hanks was fantastic!

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Saw Fruitvale Station, brilliant. So simple and yet gripping as you know up front what the outcome is.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Took the kids yo see the Lego movie, quire enjoyable, doesn't take itself seriously (well, til the end bit anyway)

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
This is from 2008 but a music documentary called The Wrecking Crew named after a band of session musos who played on just about every hit in the US in the 60s.

Elvis, The Beach Boys,Mamas And Papas thousands more had these musicians as the backing.
Also did plenty of famous TV themes including The Pink Panther.

p.S. have been studying famous session drummers and didn't realise Jim Gordon who played on just about everything in the late 60s early 70s had acute schizophrenia and ended up stabbing his mother to death with a hammer in 1983 and is still in jail now.

He played on Imagine by Lennon,Rikki Don't Lose That Number by Steely Dan and co -wrote and played drums on Layla ,Eric Clapton's famous tune and countless other hits.
A sad tragedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfZWp-hGCdA

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Had my first free day of the term break and chose to see a couple of films.

Initially, for nostalgia's sake, I saw Peabody and Sherman, as I remember looking forward to it as a kid. The film was ok and I look forward to showing to the kids in my class, come the last week of term 2. History can be fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMl2tTVwsZA

Further, continuing a historical theme, I saw the 300 sequel, based on Themistocles and Salamis. It, too, was okay, though it stretched the historical account as far as it could go. I did like that they included Artemisia of Halicarnassus in a major role, although the script did fiddle with her historical background and aearole.
After all, Herodotus tells us that Artemisia advised Xerxes not to fight at Salamis, whereas the film has her as its major progenitor.
I look forward to Part 3 - Plataea, and
Part 4 - The rise of Macedonia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zqy21Z29ps

I was planning to see Noah as my third film for the day, but like the Richmond midfield, I ran out of gas.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Saw the Grand Budapest Hotel, an excellent film by Wes Anderson.

Some of you may be familiar with Anderson's previous films - Royal Tenenbaums, Life Aquatic, Darjeeling Limited, Fantastic Mr Fox, etc.

Excellent cast including Ralph Fiennes, F Murray Abrahams, Bill Dafoe, Jeff Goldblum, Harvey Keitel, Jude Law, Bill Murray, Ed Norton, Jason Schwartzman, Tilda Swinton, Owen Wilson, etc.

Well worth viewing.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The Railway Man. Wow. What a powerful story. My grandfather fought in New Guinea in WWII - he was lucky he only got shot in the leg and not captured.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Phantom said:
Saw the Grand Budapest Hotel, an excellent film by Wes Anderson.

Some of you may be familiar with Anderson's previous films - Royal Tenenbaums, Life Aquatic, Darjeeling Limited, Fantastic Mr Fox, etc.

Excellent cast including Ralph Fiennes, F Murray Abrahams, Bill Dafoe, Jeff Goldblum, Harvey Keitel, Jude Law, Bill Murray, Ed Norton, Jason Schwartzman, Tilda Swinton, Owen Wilson, etc.

Well worth viewing.

Yes we saw the Grand Budapest on Thursday night - agree really good film to watch - the black humour in it was great.