Movies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Movies

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Saw the third part of the excellent "Spanish Apartment" trilogy, Chinese Puzzle, on Friday night at the Kino.

Some of you may remember "Spanish Apartment" in 2002, when the group were at university, followed by "Russian Dolls" in 2005, when they are adults.
"Chinese Puzzle" deals with part of the same group in their parental years and how their lives evolve.

Stars Romain Duris, Audrey Tautou, Cecille De France, Kelly Reilly, amongst others.

Love the hypocrisy of the French!
They hate Americans but love New York, McDonalds & The Simpsons.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The French have always been big fans of American culture - in film, art, literature and music. The French were big fans of the American Revolution - they gave them the Statue of Liberty, after all. This is just another one of those myths - a myth often repeated by Americans who tend to dislike the French because of the propagation of this myth.

The French do think their language and culture is superior, but not just to Americans... to everyone, but that's another story. :hihi

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Yes, I still remember 30 years later, when standing at the front of the ticket queue in central Paris, buying a Magic Bus ticket back London.
There was a queue a mile long behind me.

The ticket attendant waited for 15 minutes until I had my French grammar absolutely perfect, before selling me the ticket.

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
Phantom said:
Saw the Grand Budapest Hotel, an excellent film by Wes Anderson.

Some of you may be familiar with Anderson's previous films - Royal Tenenbaums, Life Aquatic, Darjeeling Limited, Fantastic Mr Fox, etc.

Excellent cast including Ralph Fiennes, F Murray Abrahams, Bill Dafoe, Jeff Goldblum, Harvey Keitel, Jude Law, Bill Murray, Ed Norton, Jason Schwartzman, Tilda Swinton, Owen Wilson, etc.

Well worth viewing.

I saw that last week at the Nova Cinema.

Very clever film and one I reckon would be even more enjoyable with repeated viewings.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Just saw Edge Of Tomorrow.
Shameless mashup of other films but great entertainment none the less.
Tom Cruise in fine form and good visual effects.
Recommended for the big screen.
4 stars.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Tigers of Old said:
Just saw Edge Of Tomorrow.
Shameless mashup of other films but great entertainment none the less.
Tom Cruise in fine form and good visual effects.
Recommended for the big screen.
4 stars.

I'll check it out, looked good but was waiting for a real person review rather than reviewer review.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I've been watching a lot of older films. The Man Who Would Be King, starring Sean Connery and Michael Caine, is an absolute ripper.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
spook said:
I've been watching a lot of older films. The Man Who Would Be King, starring Sean Connery and Michael Caine, is an absolute ripper.

Me too Spooker.

I've been going through the Sean Connery back catalogue. Apart from the Bond movies and The Untouchables, smaller films like Outland and The Russia House are well worth a look.

And one of my old favourites is Zardoz. A lesser known gem!

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Carter said:
Me too Spooker.

I've been going through the Sean Connery back catalogue. Apart from the Bond movies and The Untouchables, smaller films like Outland and The Russia House are well worth a look.

And one of my old favourites is Zardoz. A lesser known gem!
I've seen The Russia House but a long time ago. Haven't seen the others. Have you seen my one?

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
spook said:
I've seen The Russia House but a long time ago. Haven't seen the others. Have you seen my one?

It's Michael Caine. Course! Old school greatness.

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
All This Mayhem.

Brilliant documentary about the Pappas brothers from Melbourne who were skateboarders who became the best in the World then their lives fell apart.

I'm not a skateboarder myself and I really enjoyed it.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I watched Non Stop with Liam Beeson and 3 Days to kill wih Kevin Costner (playing a Now Liam Neeson role) and both were better than I thought they'd be.

Also saw Enemy with Jake Gyllenhal and it was just ok but a strange ending.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
Calvary is a cracker. Some may have seen The Guard, by the same director.

One of the best 3 first lines in a movie I have seen...