Movies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT! Our inbox is full of email errors from members who have not updated their emails, please follow the instructions on how to update here
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Movies

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Coming 2 America is fun. Great to see Eddie Murphy in fine form (and looking barely 49, much less 59), bringing back all his and Arsenio's characters from the original, even the old Jewish bloke from the barber shop who should be at least 100 by now.

Wesley Snipes has a blast in his role, and there are cameos from James Earl Jones and Morgan Freeman in what in essence is a celebration of African America. An easy-to-swallow, light-hearted tonic evoking simpler times.
wow there is a spook post I didn't expect to read. Haven't seen it but he review I read said the whole film made no sense as he original came to America to avoid the male/female stereotypes of his nation yet in the sequel he effectively overlooks his own daughters in search of a male heir

spook

Tiger Legend
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I couldn't even watch it for 10 minutes. Just made me feel old & the whole thing felt tired & cheap.
The first film whilst funny in parts honestly wasn't deserving of a sequel IMO.
I had to resist turning it off at the start, then I relaxed and enjoyed it for what it is. And it does get better.

wow there is a spook post I didn't expect to read. Haven't seen it but he review I read said the whole film made no sense as he original came to America to avoid the male/female stereotypes of his nation yet in the sequel he effectively overlooks his own daughters in search of a male heir
Haha! It's not high art by any means but it is amusing.

In the orig, he goes to America because he wants to find true love, rather than accept an arranged marriage with a woman who doesn't challenge him in any way.

According to this movie, it is the law of Zamunda that the king must produce a male heir. Wesley Snipes' character is the general in charge of the neighbouring country Nexdoria and the brother of the barking bride Prince Azeem rejected in the orig. He's going to invade if the two countries can't merge via a wedding. Then a bit of convenient deep fake flashback bullshit reveals that - no, wait! - Prince Azeem does have a bastard son in Queens! And so they go to bring him back to marry him to Snipes' daughter and maintain peace. You can probably figure out what happens from there.

It's totally lightweight fairy floss but that's ok. I think I'm right about the African-American (big fan) celebration thing. Eddie, Arsenio, James Earl Jones, Morgan Freeman, Snipes, Leslie Jones, Tracy Morgan, En Vogue, Salt'n'Pepa, John Amos, Trevor Noah, Gladys Knight, Rick Ross, John Legend, Dikembe Mutombo all make appearances, and all the memorable characters from the first pop up, including the beatboxing/rapping twin sisters, and of course Randy Watson and Sexual Chocolate, and Hall's sleazy preacher.

It's not going to win any awards and at points I found myself scrolling through my phone, but if you're like me and enjoyed the original as a teen, I reckon you'll find yourself smiling at the end of this.

Reactions: 2 users

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I had to resist turning it off at the start, then I relaxed and enjoyed it for what it is. And it does get better.

Just watched it and I agree with everything you're saying.

By most measures of a movie it is absolutely awful. The plot is just nonsensical, probably as bad as has ever been made into a movie.

Having said that though, if you like Coming to America it just kind of works, mainly because it is in on the theme that is just a pointless walk down memory lane, it even says so halfway through.

My only issue by the end was not enough time in the barbershop.

Reactions: 1 user

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Watched Un-hinged , pretty predictable once you’ve seen the trailer , bloody good actor is Russel Crowe .

Also watched Joker, for my very untrained eye it was underground trying to be mainstream or mainstream trying to be underground, doesn’t do enough for me just dribbles along, however thought Joaquin Phoenix was brilliant , just like he was in Walk the Line.

Watched American Sniper again , love the real stuff , what a story, man those men and women have some “balls” . great Actor in a variety of roles is Bradley Cooper , in saying that Lady GAGa not doubt carried him in a star is born :))

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Champion
Apr 29, 2006
Re-watched Captain Fantastic. Love it even more. Great work by the director, who plays Gavin Belson in Silicon Valley.

Reactions: 2 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Just walked out of seeing the little things , not even the brilliant Denzel W could save that storyline. I did like the fact I had the cinema to myself

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Watched Greenbook, it’s cliche and a little cheesy at times but I enjoyed it far too much.

And watched Broadcast News again the other night. Boy it still holds up. Modern themes today set in 1987.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Watched the six Death Wish films (5 x Bronson plus 2018 Bruce Willis remake) over the last week. Dad liked old Charlie but I always thought he was the most wooden of actors, and fortunately this series doesn’t strain his acting capabilities. The original is regarded by some as a classic, but “poor man’s Dirty Harry” sums it up for me; just a decent film. I rated the others in the order 5-2-3-4. 5 is a half-decent film; the reviews I read later were all bad and appear to have pre-judged it. 2 is the most graphic, 3 the most fun and 4 is pretty much violence for the sake of it with all plot credibility gone.

The Willis remake is far from a copy and stands on its own. I missed it completely upon release, perhaps because it never received the approval of the Hollywood left, touching as it does on the increasingly controversial subject of gun laws. Willis looks old but once it got going, it was surprisingly entertaining. Obviously it raises the subject of vigilante justice, but is not as effective in this as the original. Not a classic and hardly light entertainment, but it doesn’t overburden the viewer with ethical dilemmas as it might’ve. It’s different enough from the original, with its modern technological twists, that it really didn’t need to borrow the original’s name. 6 or 7 out of 10, depending on how charitable I’m feeling.

Tigers of Old

Proud of our Club.
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Sc-fi/comedy Love & Monsters on Netflix was great (if not formulaic) fun. Think Zombieland, Stranger Things etc.
Reminded me of the films I loved as a kid in the 80s. Pure popcorn.

Last edited:

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
If anyone has someone close to them suffering from dementia I suggest you watch The Father. Unlike other movies on this subject it is made from the perspective of the person suffering from dementia and the confusion in the movie represents the confusion in the person's mind. It is initially hard to follow until you understand what it is doing.
Anthony Hopkins is phenomenal in the lead role.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Champion
Apr 29, 2006
If anyone has someone close to them suffering from dementia I suggest you watch The Father. Unlike other movies on this subject it is made from the perspective of the person suffering from dementia and the confusion in the movie represents the confusion in the person's mind. It is initially hard to follow until you understand what it is doing.

Best film of the year.

Ricemagic

Tiger Cub
Feb 8, 2021
Absolutely loved it, Hopkins and Colman together was something else, that's acting right there And even Rufus Sewell, one of my favourite actors from the dystopian TV series The Man In The High Castle, good to see him again :)

And let me know what you think of the Danish film 'Another Round' with Mads Mikkelsen, very very enjoyable movie on alcohol and excess drinking. Didn't know he was a qualified gymnast and dancer, and what he does at the end of that movie

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
And let me know what you think of the Danish film 'Another Round' with Mads Mikkelsen, very very enjoyable movie on alcohol and excess drinking. Didn't know he was a qualified gymnast and dancer, and what he does at the end of that movie
I saw a trailer for that movie and wasn’t intending to see it.
I assume from your comments you think it is worthwhile making the effort?

Ricemagic

Tiger Cub
Feb 8, 2021
I saw a trailer for that movie and wasn’t intending to see it.
I assume from your comments you think it is worthwhile making the effort?
Everyone is different so what I like may not be what you like, I'm not big on horror or scary movies as an example, my son loves them. I didn't think Nomadland was as good as they are claiming, definitely not the best pic of the year they're making it out to be, this flick and Minari naming just two are better, IMO :))

I've been watching a couple of Danish TV series lately, saw this movie pop up at the same time last month, went and saw it and enjoyed it a lot. It has 7.8 IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes 92% ratings, so seems to be liked pretty highly :)

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Champion
Apr 29, 2006
Absolutely loved it, Hopkins and Colman together was something else, that's acting right there And even Rufus Sewell, one of my favourite actors from the dystopian TV series The Man In The High Castle, good to see him again :)

Another Round is OK. It will be a crime if it beats Quo Vadis, Aida? at the Oscars for best international film. QVA is a masterpiece. It has replaced The Father, one day later, as my favourite film of the year.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Off topic but The Man In The High Castle was excellent until the last season

• Love