Movies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Movies

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Watched the six Death Wish films (5 x Bronson plus 2018 Bruce Willis remake) over the last week. Dad liked old Charlie but I always thought he was the most wooden of actors, and fortunately this series doesn’t strain his acting capabilities. The original is regarded by some as a classic, but “poor man’s Dirty Harry” sums it up for me; just a decent film. I rated the others in the order 5-2-3-4. 5 is a half-decent film; the reviews I read later were all bad and appear to have pre-judged it. 2 is the most graphic, 3 the most fun and 4 is pretty much violence for the sake of it with all plot credibility gone.

The Willis remake is far from a copy and stands on its own. I missed it completely upon release, perhaps because it never received the approval of the Hollywood left, touching as it does on the increasingly controversial subject of gun laws. Willis looks old but once it got going, it was surprisingly entertaining. Obviously it raises the subject of vigilante justice, but is not as effective in this as the original. Not a classic and hardly light entertainment, but it doesn’t overburden the viewer with ethical dilemmas as it might’ve. It’s different enough from the original, with its modern technological twists, that it really didn’t need to borrow the original’s name. 6 or 7 out of 10, depending on how charitable I’m feeling.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Sc-fi/comedy Love & Monsters on Netflix was great (if not formulaic) fun. Think Zombieland, Stranger Things etc.
Reminded me of the films I loved as a kid in the 80s. Pure popcorn.

Last edited:

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
If anyone has someone close to them suffering from dementia I suggest you watch The Father. Unlike other movies on this subject it is made from the perspective of the person suffering from dementia and the confusion in the movie represents the confusion in the person's mind. It is initially hard to follow until you understand what it is doing.
Anthony Hopkins is phenomenal in the lead role.

Reactions: 1 user

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
If anyone has someone close to them suffering from dementia I suggest you watch The Father. Unlike other movies on this subject it is made from the perspective of the person suffering from dementia and the confusion in the movie represents the confusion in the person's mind. It is initially hard to follow until you understand what it is doing.

Best film of the year.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Absolutely loved it, Hopkins and Colman together was something else, that's acting right there And even Rufus Sewell, one of my favourite actors from the dystopian TV series The Man In The High Castle, good to see him again :)

And let me know what you think of the Danish film 'Another Round' with Mads Mikkelsen, very very enjoyable movie on alcohol and excess drinking. Didn't know he was a qualified gymnast and dancer, and what he does at the end of that movie

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
And let me know what you think of the Danish film 'Another Round' with Mads Mikkelsen, very very enjoyable movie on alcohol and excess drinking. Didn't know he was a qualified gymnast and dancer, and what he does at the end of that movie
I saw a trailer for that movie and wasn’t intending to see it.
I assume from your comments you think it is worthwhile making the effort?

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
I saw a trailer for that movie and wasn’t intending to see it.
I assume from your comments you think it is worthwhile making the effort?
Everyone is different so what I like may not be what you like, I'm not big on horror or scary movies as an example, my son loves them. I didn't think Nomadland was as good as they are claiming, definitely not the best pic of the year they're making it out to be, this flick and Minari naming just two are better, IMO :))

I've been watching a couple of Danish TV series lately, saw this movie pop up at the same time last month, went and saw it and enjoyed it a lot. It has 7.8 IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes 92% ratings, so seems to be liked pretty highly :)

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Absolutely loved it, Hopkins and Colman together was something else, that's acting right there And even Rufus Sewell, one of my favourite actors from the dystopian TV series The Man In The High Castle, good to see him again :)

Another Round is OK. It will be a crime if it beats Quo Vadis, Aida? at the Oscars for best international film. QVA is a masterpiece. It has replaced The Father, one day later, as my favourite film of the year.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Off topic but The Man In The High Castle was excellent until the last season

• Love

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Another Round is OK. It will be a crime if it beats Quo Vadis, Aida? at the Oscars for best international film. QVA is a masterpiece. It has replaced The Father, one day later, as my favourite film of the year.
Sorry for late reply. I didn't know about this 'Quo Vadis, Aida, thanks for the advice, got it now so hopefully have a look at it in the next few days.

You see Minari, the American filmed Korean language film? I believe Brad Pitt executive produced it. Any thoughts on it if you have. Thought it was pretty good myself. :)

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Off topic but The Man In The High Castle was excellent until the last season
Yeah let's not get into 'last seasons' aye ;)there's been a few that had so-so last seasons, be pretty hard to keep sustaining it year after year. I mean most sports dynasties fade out after 4, 5 maybe 8 years max. Just hard to come up with fresh ideas and sustain your excellence.

On a side note lol, there was another series similar to Man In The High Castle, 'SS-GB'.

It lasted 5 episodes but got bad reviews on the sound quality and inaudible dialogue and ratings in UK went from 8.5M to 3.5M by the end.

I thought it was okay just for the take on what the UK would have been like to live in under German rule. Like the movie Fatherland with Rutger Hauer, from the Hitcher and Blade Runner fame, that stuff is interesting to me, what would the world be like if they had won.

An Englishman's Castle, a 3 part British mini-series from 1978 is on a similar subject :)

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Oscars 2021 - :cupgold
Best International Feature Film - Another Round
Best Supporting Actor - Daniel Kaluuya - Judas and the Black Messiah
Best Director - Chloe Zhao - Nomadland
Best Sound - Sound of Metal (That was a really good movie, doesn't get talked about enough)
Best Animated Feature - Soul
Best Supporting Actress - Yuh-Hung Youn - Minari (Top flick)
Best Picture - Nomadland
Best Actress- Frances Mc Dormand - Nomadland (That's her 3rd Oscar) :cupgold:cupgold:cupgold
Best Actor - Anthony Hopkins - (That's his 2nd Oscar) :cupgold:cupgold

Done and dusted :cool:

Last edited:

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I miss going to the movies, haven’t been back since Covid.

Haven‘t had a movie that I have to see.

Feels like the entire industry has been flipped on its head for good.

• Sad

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Watched Nomadland. Now I’d heard it was slow ....but I didn’t realise it was that slow.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Covid has bit the movie industry hard. Started watching two absolute stinkers tonight on Prime & Netflix not even worth mentioning. Literally zero decent new content out. I miss good movies.

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Covid has bit the movie industry hard. Started watching two absolute stinkers tonight on Prime & Netflix not even worth mentioning. Literally zero decent new content out. I miss good movies.
Yeah, they’re slim pickings atm. Name names!

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Yeah, they’re slim pickings atm. Name names!
if I really must..I was really struggling for something to watch.

Awake - Netflix original. Got 20 minutes in & turned it off.
Horizon Line - Amazon Prime original. Just beyond stupid & poorly produced. Ended up laughing our way through it somehow.

Sometimes the streaming original movies are ok but not these.
Avoid like coronavirus.

• Haha

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Tried watching Woody Allen’s “To Rome with love” last night. Very ordinary, the more I watch Woodys movies the more I realise he has more misses than hits. Watched “A rainy day in New York “ a few weeks ago. Pretty terrible.