Movies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Movies

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Seen the original 1975 a few times but never really understood this film. Bit of a bore in fact as most of us were brainwashed believing it was a true story. Just a fantasy based on indigenous spirits more than anything else.
Well, you’ve sort of answered your own question. Your take on indigenous spirits whisking them away is countered by about a dozen other interpretations, the mystery with it all being that the author of the book created a final chapter that explains what happens, but it was never released and she’s never disclosed.

Also, like most popular novels, there’s another bunch of interpretations as to the meaning, themes etc of the book and what the author was trying to convey.

The movie itself is considered a bit of a masterpiece as well for its cinematography, music, acting yadda yadda yadda.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Well, you’ve sort of answered your own question. Your take on indigenous spirits whisking them away is countered by about a dozen other interpretations, the mystery with it all being that the author of the book created a final chapter that explains what happens, but it was never released and she’s never disclosed.

Also, like most popular novels, there’s another bunch of interpretations as to the meaning, themes etc of the book and what the author was trying to convey.
Maybe it was 1975, but besides the beautiful girls, did you find the film a bit flat? Maybe it's just me.....

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Maybe it was 1975, but besides the beautiful girls, did you find the film a bit flat? Maybe it's just me.....
Like you, when I was younger and saw it for the first time there was that non fiction blur which made it mysterious but otherwise it’s just the quality of the film itself particularly given it was 1975. The cinematography, haunting music, acting, themes, scenery etc. That’s what it’s really known for, not so much the story and mystery of the girls going missing.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Like you, when I was younger and saw it for the first time there was that non fiction blur which made it mysterious but otherwise it’s just the quality of the film itself particularly given it was 1975. The cinematography, haunting music, acting, themes, scenery etc. That’s what it’s really known for, not so much the story and mystery of the girls going missing.
Good point Redmond. I've seen other films I've liked but felt a bit empty in satisfaction. Just expected a bit more out of it.

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I was today years old when I found out Picnic at Hanging Rock was fiction.

Thought it actually happened.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
It's about female sexual awakening. Once she finds her special secret spot, the little girl disappears.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I was today years old when I found out Picnic at Hanging Rock was fiction.

Thought it actually happened.

Went to Hanging Rock some years ago and people were discussing where they got lost, sometimes you have to explain it was a novel.

Pretty sure the mysterious last chapter was released years ago but, from memory, it is a bit wacky so best to leave it to speculation. A much better story without an explanation.

The movie is atmospheric so it can feel flat. It looks like it is moving slower than it really is. I always liked the movie and it was all part of that renaissance of Australian cinema. Could have done without the pan pipes but they have become a defining feature.

DS

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Now I’m no movie buff, however I watched Maverick the other day, imhoTommy was very good , the rest of the cast was a tad cringeworthy poor , the plot was ruined by the previews as it left nothing to the imagination , in saying that I still enjoyed it.

Theme song absolutely outstanding, not sure who the artist was :cool:

• Haha

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
It's not a movie but related to 'Hanging Rock' that you're talking about above, and the mystery of the area o_O
You all know about 'Anti-Gravity Hill' right? Straws Lane, Woodend.
It faces The Rock and if you start your car at the bottom of the hill, put it in 'Neutral' gear and the gravity pulls you up the road to the top of the hill.
Used to take visitors to Melbourne there years ago, they like us couldn't believe it.
Roll tennis balls up the hill then as well o_O
Mate would even jump out of the driver's seat as the car rolled up the hill :LOL:

Video's in the links

1663383410965.png

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
It's not a movie but related to 'Hanging Rock' that you're talking about above, and the mystery of the area o_O
You all know about 'Anti-Gravity Hill' right? Straws Lane, Woodend.
It faces The Rock and if you start your car at the bottom of the hill, put it in 'Neutral' gear and the gravity pulls you up the road to the top of the hill.
Used to take visitors to Melbourne there years ago, they like us couldn't believe it.
Roll tennis balls up the hill then as well o_O
Mate would even jump out of the driver's seat as the car rolled up the hill :LOL:

Video's in the links

View attachment 16810
Really weird how these roads work. It's all optical illusion but difficult to comprehend how it works when you notice the surroundings.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Really weird how these roads work. It's all optical illusion but difficult to comprehend how it works when you notice the surroundings.
Yep, optical illusion no doubt, even the engineering guru's I have been up there with can't explain it. There's four of them in OZ - Bowen Mountain in New South Wales, at Moonbi in New South Wales (near Tamworth), Orroroo in South Australia and near Hanging Rock in Woodend.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Being that time of the year , September 11, there’s a new doco film on Binge called “9/11 Life under attack” where it’s all just footage from members of the public who recorded footage on their video cameras (obviously before we could film on our phone). Still harrowing stuff to watch 21 years later.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Bloody hell. Just watched The Outpost, based on a true story about a US army platoon stationed in an "obviously indefensible" camp in a valley of the Afghanistan mountains, under daily Taliban attacks. Intense.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Matrix Resurrections. Mildly interesting for the first hour then just mindless gobbledygook crap with lots of explosions and fights to distract you for the next hour and a half!

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Bloody hell. Just watched The Outpost, based on a true story about a US army platoon stationed in an "obviously indefensible" camp in a valley of the Afghanistan mountains, under daily Taliban attacks. Intense.
What brainiac puts a base in that valley. No wonder they couldn't beat them.