Movies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Movies

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Watched Goodfellas for the umpteenth time last night.

“You think I’m funny? Funny how? Funny like a clown? Do I amuse you?”

One of the greatest scenes ever.

Rumoured that none of the actors other than Pesci and Liotta knew about the ‘What’s funny?’ part of the script, which is why they look so stunned and uncomfortable when he’s saying it.

Reactions: 1 user

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Watched the Black Phone the other night, not bad, not an all timer but very solid movie.

Was very meh for me.

It didn’t know whether it wanted to be a horror or a thriller.

And no idea why Ethan Hawke played the role when he hardly showed his face. You could have had anyone play that role.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Was very meh for me.

It didn’t know whether it wanted to be a horror or a thriller.

And no idea why Ethan Hawke played the role when he hardly showed his face. You could have had anyone play that role.
Decided not to watch it. Not sure what communication with the dead or other trapped victims does for this film.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
One of the greatest scenes ever.

Rumoured that none of the actors other than Pesci and Liotta knew about the ‘What’s funny?’ part of the script, which is why they look so stunned and uncomfortable when he’s saying it.
When Pesci was young, he worked as a waiter at a restaurant.

While attending a mobster, he made a compliment by saying “that's really funny”, but the comment wasn’t taken so well.

When working on Goodfellas, Pesci shared this anecdote with Scorsese, who liked it so much he decided to add it to the film.

However, he didn’t include it in the shooting script, so only Pesci and Liotta knew what was happening in the scene.

It was improvised and rehearsed by them, but kept a secret from the rest of the actors in the scene in order to catch their genuine reactions.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Going through the Dirty Harry series of movies again at the moment. Watched the first Dirty Harry (71) and Magnum Force (73). Some classic names - David Soul, Robert Ulrich etc. Fantastic scenery of San Francisco. And the clothes ….heh heh heh.

“Well do ya’ punk ?”

• Love

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Going through the Dirty Harry series of movies again at the moment. Watched the first Dirty Harry (71) and Magnum Force (73). Some classic names - David Soul, Robert Ulrich etc. Fantastic scenery of San Francisco. And the clothes ….heh heh heh.

“Well do ya’ punk ?”
Done this before and was thinking of doing this again recently, but might leave it for another couple of years as I can still remember the films. Didn't watch The Gauntlet (not Dirty Harry) just last week either.

The car chase scenes are fun to watch in those Streets of San Francisco .

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Done this before and was thinking of doing this again recently, but might leave it for another couple of years as I can still remember the films. Didn't watch The Gauntlet (not Dirty Harry) just last week either.

The car chase scenes are fun to watch in those Streets of San Francisco .
Well, speaking of Streets of San Francisco, my old girl bought me the entire box set of that tv series a few years ago. All before my time but I love that stuff. Karl Malden and Michael Douglas. They don’t make ‘em like that anymore. Classic stuff.

Last edited:

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Well, speaking of Streets of San Francisco, my old girl bought me the entire box set of that tv series a few years ago. All before my time but I love that stuff. Karl Malden and Michael Douglas. They don’t make ‘em like that anymore. Classic stuff.
Agree. Shocked that no FTA or Foxtel channel can show it again. Funny how Michael Douglas was known as Kirk's son back then compared to 15 years later when Gordon Gekko made him more famous than his dad.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Agree. Shocked that no FTA or Foxtel channel can show it again. Funny how Michael Douglas was known as Kirk's son back then compared to 15 years later when Gordon Gekko made him more famous than his dad.
It’s a great show. The music, the scenes, the era etc.

“Hey Buddy Boy”.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
It’s a great show. The music, the scenes, the era etc.

“Hey Buddy Boy”.
Yeah I always loved the 70s opening and closing theme tunes (inc. McMillan and Wife, Starsky & Hutch, Charlie's Angels etc)

As for the scenes and the era, do you ever get a feel for those times when heading to the US? I suppose we don't see those long cars anymore. :mhihi

Reactions: 1 users

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021

“Well do ya’ punk ?”
San Fran man what can U say aye :love: I've got to get there one day :cry:
One of my mates lived there for 25 years and seen it all from that era like 1978-2003 before moving here.
The Streets of San Francisco a great show, Karl Malden was great in everything he did.
Urich also was on that other 70's show that wasn't too bad - S.W.A.T. - with STeve Forrest.

I freak out when I go back and look at old TV series or movie casts. The Dead Pool Dirty Harry has Liam Neeson and Jim Carrey in it, so watch out for them :eyes

1676539810525.png

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yeah I always loved the 70s opening and closing theme tunes (inc. McMillan and Wife, Starsky & Hutch, Charlie's Angels etc)

As for the scenes and the era, do you ever get a feel for those times when heading to the US? I suppose we don't see those long cars anymore. :mhihi
Funny you say that Forces of Nature.

One of my personal interests is old time USA and it’s history - meaning from the 1800’s onwards. I especially have an interest in buildings (especially old Art Deco and Beaux Arts ones l) in the USA. I have endless subscriptions to retro sites and stuff on social media, I read books, watch stacks of documentaries and what not.

Each and every time I go to the US I specifically seek out places of old time interest and compare the “then to now”. A few weeks ago in NYC I went to a bunch of old time places with old original photos and web links on my phone and compared it all in the present - live in front of me. Right now I’m doing it again with the photos I took v old time ones. Heh heh heh… I even went to the East Village and found the street and police precinct that they used to film NYPD Blue. Took heaps of photos etc and have been freeze framing the shows and comparing ! Hah hah hah …ah geez.

I’ve been to San Francisco 4 or 5 times and I’m going back in August as part of a California and Vegas trip. LA, Santa Barbara, Carmel, San Francisco, Vegas etc. Super excited.

San Francisco has quite a bit of history to it. Spectacularly scenic city with an old gold rush feel to it and a seedy underbelly as well. The whole Northern California scene just has that different sort of vibe about it. The beaches and sea, the cooler air. The whole John Steinbeck thing. The Cypress trees, bit of old California etc.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Each and every time I go to the US I specifically seek out places of old time interest and compare the “then to now”. A few weeks ago in NYC I went to a bunch of old time places with old original photos and web links on my phone and compared it all in the present - live in front of me. Right now I’m doing it again with the photos I took v old time ones. Heh heh heh… I even went to the East Village and found the street and police precinct that they used to film NYPD Blue. Took heaps of photos etc and have been freeze framing the shows and comparing ! Hah hah hah …ah geez.
I do this when comparing places from an old film (i.e. 1940s) to what it looks like now going by imdb's 'filming locations'. :))

I also did this more when watching all Prisoner episodes a few years ago. The old 70s/80s Melbourne.....

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Funny you say that Forces of Nature.

One of my personal interests is old time USA and it’s history - meaning from the 1800’s onwards. I especially have an interest in buildings (especially old Art Deco and Beaux Arts ones l) in the USA. I have endless subscriptions to retro sites and stuff on social media, I read books, watch stacks of documentaries and what not.

I’ve been to San Francisco 4 or 5 times and I’m going back in August as part of a California and Vegas trip. LA, Santa Barbara, Carmel, San Francisco, Vegas etc. Super excited.

San Francisco has quite a bit of history to it. Spectacularly scenic city with an old gold rush feel to it and a seedy underbelly as well. The whole Northern California scene just has that different sort of vibe about it. The beaches and sea, the cooler air. The whole John Steinbeck thing. The Cypress trees, bit of old California etc.
Man seeing the NYPD set, freaking one of my fav show growing up. With Hill Street Blues, got to find that set Red ;) But "Let's be careful out there!!" :D
That sounds awesome, only L.A. and Phoenix for me so far, the rest might have to be doco's still :notworthy:

One of the Niner podcasts I listen to, the guy a couple of months ago was raving about Clint's old Hogs Breath Inn in Carmel.
He went for a drive down there from San Fran and back just for lunch.
And then I looked it up and didn't realise Carmel was like 2 hrs to SF, I assumed it was like closer to L.A. :LOL:

1676542374963.png

Hogs Breath Inn - Carmel
1676542749672.png

1676542764867.png

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
I do this when comparing places from an old film (i.e. 1940s) to what it looks like now going by imdb's 'filming locations'. :))
I use this, now my son does as well :eyes

But we're well me sports, and movie nutters - both of us.
After footy season my routine of seeing one of the better films goes from on Tuesday night to pretty much every Sat/Sunday until we get back our footy next month :D

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yep. So do I.

Which reminds me. Another thing I did a few weeks ago (one of dozens) was go to the DUMBO area in Brooklyn where they filmed the really cool scenes in Once Upon A Time In America …where the young kids are traipsing through dirty old 1920’s Brooklyn and one of them gets shot.

1676543499670.jpeg

1676543523666.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Yep. So do I.

Which reminds me. Another thing I did a few weeks ago (one of dozens) was go to the DUMBO area in Brooklyn where they filmed the really cool scenes in Once Upon A Time In America …where the young kids are traipsing through dirty old 1920’s Brooklyn and one of them gets shot.

View attachment 18071

View attachment 18072
What are they filming, what's the barriers up for? :unsure: