Movies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Movies

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
The Banshees of Inisherin. Fecking brilliantly bleakly blackly funny and sad. Gleeson and Farrell, what a pairing. McDonagh, what a writer. The Irish, what can you say. The poetry and pain of life, it's in the blood.
Looking forward to seeing this. Thanks for the review

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Looking forward to seeing this. Thanks for the review
One thing I forgot to mention was the performance of Barry Keoghan. Steals every scene he's in. There's one in which he's being painfully socially awkward and I could not stop laughing at his manner and mannerisms. Brilliant work.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
The Banshees of Inisherin. Fecking brilliantly bleakly blackly funny and sad. Gleeson and Farrell, what a pairing. McDonagh, what a writer. The Irish, what can you say. The poetry and pain of life, it's in the blood.
There's been some ripping Irish movies over the years, 'Waking Ned Devine', 'Sing Street', 'The Commitments', and 'The Van', just to name a few.
The Irish are great story tellers.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
There's been some ripping Irish movies over the years, 'Waking Ned Devine', 'Sing Street', 'The Commitments', and 'The Van', just to name a few.
The Irish are great story tellers.
I revisited The Commitments a few months ago for the first time in decades. Simple story, well-told, well-acted, with fantastic music.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
I revisited The Commitments a few months ago for the first time in decades. Simple story, well-told, well-acted, with fantastic music.
Yeah, was on TV a week or so back, can just watch it from whenever you come in. Pretty sure the DVD and CD soundtrack are still around the house somewhere.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Re watched The Guard. Brendan Gleeson in fine form. Fun movie.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Watched an entertaining/funny movie called Shiva Baby. released in 2020.

Not sure how any jewish viewers would find it, but a terrific performance by the main actress Rachel Sennott.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Watched IcaRus last night on Netflix - bloody cheating Russians - how they were allowed to compete in Rio astounds me - and to host the Sochi Olympics and the WC Soccer and look what they are doing now in Ukraine - they have taken every for a ‘ring a ring a rosie’.

Spook - this one’s next for me, I want to watch it on the big screen.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Watched IcaRus last night on Netflix - bloody cheating Russians - how they were allowed to compete in Rio astounds me - and to host the Sochi Olympics and the WC Soccer and look what they are doing now in Ukraine - they have taken every for a ‘ring a ring a rosie’.

Spook - this one’s next for me, I want to watch it on the big screen.
I watched IcaRus a couple of weeks ago, yott. Amazing the level of corruption. Putin, what a thug. The poor fella who's now in witness protection away from his family was a real character.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Watched an entertaining/funny movie called Shiva Baby. released in 2020.

Not sure how any jewish viewers would find it, but a terrific performance by the main actress Rachel Sennott.

It's pretty funny! Director is a young Jewish woman herself so I'm sure most New York Jewish people would enjoy it.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
A couple of foreign language flicks I've seen recently:

RRR: Indian action movie. Hilariously over the top (one of the heroes throws a leopard at a baddie) but immensely enjoyable romp. Streaming on Netflix or Prime, can't remember.

Official Competition: smart, funny Spanish satire of movie making. Penelope Cruz is great as the auteur director and Antonio Banderas almost as good as the vapid movie star she pairs with a critically acclaimed actor for a film. Excellent. (Dunno where you can see it, the version I watched fell off the back of a truck. Worth tracking down.)

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
A couple of foreign language flicks I've seen recently:

RRR: Indian action movie. Hilariously over the top (one of the heroes throws a leopard at a baddie) but immensely enjoyable romp. Streaming on Netflix or Prime, can't remember.
Watched it with the kids last night. Terrific entertainment. We all loved it.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Watched it with the kids last night. Terrific entertainment. We all loved it.
There are some good Indian movies out there. They love a song and dance! Three of my faves:

Lagaan: fictionalised account of the first time Indians played cricket, against the British colonial military, for the prize of paying no tax (lagaan is tax) if they win or paying triple lagaan if they lose. Saw it 20 years ago, very entertaining.

3 Idiots: the best college comedy ever made, even better than Revenge of the Nerds.

My Name Is Khan: dramatic film, no songs and dances. Quite moving.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
There are some good Indian movies out there. They love a song and dance! Three of my faves:

Lagaan: fictionalised account of the first time Indians played cricket, against the British colonial military, for the prize of paying no tax (lagaan is tax) if they win or paying triple lagaan if they lose. Saw it 20 years ago, very entertaining.

3 Idiots: the best college comedy ever made, even better than Revenge of the Nerds.

My Name Is Khan: dramatic film, no songs and dances. Quite moving.
Lagaan, same saw it ages ago and really liked it. Rewatched it about a year ago, again with the kids and they loved it.

Haven't see the others, will look them up.