Movies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Movies

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
It's always the way. They really should stop at the first movie. Perhaps one sequel. But that's it. A bit like Taken. Great first movie, progressively worse after.
Agree. Most sequels are inferior. Exceptions?

for me: Empire Strikes Back (better than 1), Back to the Future (as good), Toy Story (better), Lethal Weapon (not as good but still good) Godfather (as good, maybe better) Mad Max (hard to compare, both great but very different), Terminator (as good, both great)

Hmmm, strong cartoon/ sci fi theme here. Also, all are blockbusters.

Reactions: 1 users

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
What happened to Denzel Washington’s career? He’s more like Denzel Washup these days. Has not aged like a fine wine as an actor.
He couldn't keep up with the droopy bottom lip thing he was supposed to have in Equalizer 3.

So bad!

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
What happened to Denzel Washington’s career? He’s more like Denzel Washup these days. Has not aged like a fine wine as an actor.
Not many leading roles for 60+ actors. He's gone the B-grade action hero way of Liam Neeson.

Spiderman doing well lately.
Watched Across The Spider-verse the other night. Even better than the first, I think. Very inventive.

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Saw Scorsese’s Killers of the Flower Moon last night. (Spoilers)

Pretty epic at 3.5 hours duration.
Overall I liked the film a lot & found the topic really interesting. Probably padded a little but the time went quickly. Unlike Oppenheimer I remained engaged in the story throughout. Scorsese has made another excellent film.
The star of the show is Lily Gladstone. I’d not seen her before but she nails the lead role.
DeNiro is in fine form & his character is a ripper but whilst largely a fan of his previous work I found Leo’s performance a bit OTT & distracting.
Still it wasn’t enough to spoil a very good movie. Recommended. 8/10

Reactions: 2 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

Overall I liked the film a lot & found the topic really interesting. Probably padded a little but the time went quickly. Unlike Oppenheimer I remained engaged in the story throughout. Scorsese has made another excellent film.
The star of the show is Lily Gladstone. I’d not seen her before but she nails the lead role.
DeNiro is in fine form & his character is a ripper but whilst largely a fan of his previous work I found Leo’s performance a bit OTT & distracting.

Saw it yesterday as well and loved it. Agree that Lily Gladstone is fantastic , she's the emotional centre of the film.

Reactions: 1 user

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane

Loved the book. Now just gotta convince someone to sit with me through all 3.5 hours of it. They should bring back intermission (that way I could've left the Barbie movie and not come back).

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
They should bring back intermission (that way I could've left the Barbie movie and not come back).
Deserved everything ya got for going to watch Barbie. You do realise though Fiten that you didn't need to wait for an interval to leave. Crap is crap, just walk out the door n check to make sure there's nothing smelly stuck under your shoe on the way out.

• Haha

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Loved the book. Now just gotta convince someone to sit with me through all 3.5 hours of it. They should bring back intermission (that way I could've left the Barbie movie and not come back).
You didn't like Barbie? I thought it was hilarious.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Watched the sci-fi epic The Creator yesterday. (spoilers)

Pluses were it's a visually stunning bit of work. Same director who did Star Wars - Rogue One & it has a similar feel.
Cinematography & special effects are top shelf.
Acting was good & I like that it's a reasonably original film that explores the hot topic of what AI might look like on a future earth.
Yes I know this has been covered before in other movies but some of the ideas were new.

All these things should make for a great movie but overall IMO it just misses the mark.
Reasons being whilst it has some interesting concepts, the ambitious plot becomes a bit jumbled at times.
Also the characters whilst intriguing are hard to connect to.
Dunno what it is exactly but IMO it just falls short with the all crucial engagement factor & ultimately ends up being another effects over story piece.

Overall though it's worth & watch to make up your own mind (especially on the big screen) & far better than most of the rehashed Marvel garbage out there now.
7/10

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
David Holmes: The Boy Who Lived about Daniel Radcliffe's stunt double on the Harry Potter movies who injured himself (severely) is terrific (IMO). On Foxtel/Binge.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Agree. Most sequels are inferior. Exceptions?

for me: Empire Strikes Back (better than 1), Back to the Future (as good), Toy Story (better), Lethal Weapon (not as good but still good) Godfather (as good, maybe better) Mad Max (hard to compare, both great but very different), Terminator (as good, both great)

Hmmm, strong cartoon/ sci fi theme here. Also, all are blockbusters.
Aliens was another sequel that was arguably better than the original.

Reactions: 3 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
watched Oppenheimer. Liked it. For the first time in a very long time I watched a 2.5h-plus film all the way through with no interval, which speaks volumes. There will be Blood I think was the last which was a very long time ago. The movie itself is good without being great, some irritating hollywood set pieces, but its a hollywood movie, but the story is so compelling it stands alone, hard to make uninteresting.

They do capture the high-as-it-gets high stakes politics.

also watched Barbie, or the first 2/3, less said about that the better. Gotta give it to the Hollywood hype machine, I genuinely tips my hat. I think the whole thing was driven by Margo Robbie wanting to be Barbie myself, and good luck to her, and they just retro-fitted a narrative around that, which was never gunna work.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Watched 'A Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes' yesterday with youngest daughter.
Enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
Haven't been to the pictures for ages.

Last edited: