Movies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Movies

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Tigers of Old said:
Geez Aqua Man was an over produced pile of crap. Hated it.
Few more wooden actresses than Amber Heard out there.

What isn't nowadays. Hollywood rubbish keeps piling on.

Stick to the original and not the 'Jesus' look:

images

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
WesternTiger said:
Up there with black panther then.
BP was an even bigger overblown mess of jibberish nonsense than any of the other Marvel movies.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
I’ve watched 2 rather strange films this week. Velvet Buzzsaw and Mother. If you haven’t seen them I’ll do you a favour and tell you not to bother.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Just watched Black Butterfly (2017) on the IQ and geez.....this is becoming a real cancer in film making. The 'it was only a dream' twists at the end.

Great plot with two good actors inc. Antonio Banderas, but just another cheap ending. Too many films like this now.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
TT33 said:
Enjoyed, Bohemian Rhapsody.

As Molly Meldrum always says "Do yourself a favour"

Was released on Blu-Ray during the week. Just finished watching it.

If it had been a work of total fiction, about a fictitious band, it would've been a forgettable movie. What makes it is the identifiable landmarks in the band's history, and of course the music itself. That said, there are some jarring chronological inaccuracies that are very disorienting for fans of Queen. To name a few:

- Freddie viewing footage of the band performing in Rio before the biggest live audience ever. Movie says 1977, but this actually happened in 1985...
- ...shortly before their appearance at Live Aid. There was no band break-up, no "we haven't performed together in years", as ascribed to Roger Taylor in the movie.
- Freddie didn't tell the band he had AIDS until 1988, three years after Live Aid.
- conflict about his sexuality and his relaitonship with Mary Austin was documented, cryptically, in the 1974 track Lily Of The Valley, not sometime after 1980 as depicted in the movie.

Quite a long list of these anomalies could be made, which more or less spoiled it for me. Suspect that rumours of the band's influence on the plot are greatly exaggerated.

Rami Malek turned in a great performance in a very difficult role, albeit less convincing in the on-stage sets. And as already mentioned, Gwilyn Lee's resemblance to Brian May is miraculous at times.

All in all, a movie that turned out better than expected, but a mixed bag for fans.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

If it had been a work of total fiction, about a fictitious band, it would've been a forgettable movie. What makes it is the identifiable landmarks in the band's history, and of course the music itself. That said, there are some jarring chronological inaccuracies that are very disorienting for fans of Queen. To name a few:

- Freddie viewing footage of the band performing in Rio before the biggest live audience ever. Movie says 1977, but this actually happened in 1985...
- ...shortly before their appearance at Live Aid. There was no band break-up, no "we haven't performed together in years", as ascribed to Roger Taylor in the movie.
- Freddie didn't tell the band he had AIDS until 1988, three years after Live Aid.
- conflict about his sexuality and his relaitonship with Mary Austin was documented, cryptically, in the 1974 track Lily Of The Valley, not sometime after 1980 as depicted in the movie.

Quite a long list of these anomalies could be made, which more or less spoiled it for me. Suspect that rumours of the band's influence on the plot are greatly exaggerated.

Rami Malek turned in a great performance in a very difficult role, albeit less convincing in the on-stage sets. And as already mentioned, Gwilyn Lee's resemblance to Brian May is miraculous at times.

All in all, a movie that turned out better than expected, but a mixed bag for fans.

Most still saying Adam Lambert is the perfect fit for Freddie in concerts. I disagree.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
TigerForce said:
Most still saying Adam Lambert is the perfect fit for Freddie in concerts. I disagree.

Although I have the CD's and DVD's, I've never put them on, so I can't say I have an opinion. One day I'll get around to it, but I'm bound to be disappointed. Just glad they didn't go with Farnham...

Iron Maiden without Bruce, The Angels without Doc, The Doors without Morrison. It's just a bridge too far after that personal connection has been made. Some people don't even regard AC/DC without Bon as AC/DC, and they're often cited as the most successful transition.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

How did they handle their appearance at Sunbury? Have heard it said they were booed, not sure if that is a myth or not?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
22nd Man said:
How did they handle their appearance at Sunbury? Have heard it said they were booed, not sure if that is a myth or not?

It's one of many interesting episodes that didn't make the script. There's no Queen footage from Sunbury that I'm aware of, but it's common belief that they were booed off. Early 1974... one album in and yet to have a charting single anywhere in the world. And they were two hours late.

Freddie a couple of months after Sunbury... not hard to believe they were booed amidst the Sunbury dirt and booze.

[youtube=560,315]8UmIVOOAwE4[/youtube]

One other small detail about the movie struck me as odd - R.E.O. Speedwagon being mentioned among the luminaries appearing at Live Aid. I’m sure a fan will set me straight as to how good they were!

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Although I have the CD's and DVD's, I've never put them on, so I can't say I have an opinion. One day I'll get around to it, but I'm bound to be disappointed. Just glad they didn't go with Farnham...

Iron Maiden without Bruce, The Angels without Doc, The Doors without Morrison. It's just a bridge too far after that personal connection has been made. Some people don't even regard AC/DC without Bon as AC/DC, and they're often cited as the most successful transition.
Dragon without Mark, Skyhooks without Shirl, INXS without Hutch and few other lesser known bands...

AC/DC worked because Bon was only there for 7 years before his death and Brian for 30+ years. I accept both, but Axl Rose as the new frontman is definitely a no-go now.

As for Adam Lambert, he's an American and also dresses like a new romantic, which for Queen, IMO doesn't fit.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
TigerForce said:
AC/DC worked because Bon was only there for 7 years before his death and Brian for 30+ years. I accept both, but Axl Rose as the new frontman is definitely a no-go now.

Reckon it worked because straight away they had an all-time classic album and became much more successful than they'd been before. Still, most of the tracks that endure are from the Bon era when Malcolm was churning out those memorable riffs. From the last 35 years or so, only Thunderstruck and Who Made Who really have claims to belonging in any greatest hits collection.

Similarly I much prefer Queen's 70's catalogue to what they produced from The Game onwards, although there were still highlights to follow. The stage act grew quite bombastic. I recall a former roadie claiming Freddie had to be doped to the eyeballs to get out in front of the audience in the 80's, then would collapse once off stage and be physically carried to the car after the show.

In one of the later scenes, the four of them are standing in a group, and Rami Malek appears rather diminutive (he's about 5' 9" IRL). The band were all around the 5' 10"-11" mark, except for Brian who is 6' 2".

Something else that was omitted from the movie (chronologically, it didn't fit) is that the band were Jimi Hendrix fanatics. Freddie constructed his university arts thesis around Hendrix. Brian had the nickname 'Brimi' for a time, and booked Hendrix to play at Imperial College where he was on the entertainment committee. Roger based his style on Hendrix drummer Mitch Mitchell, and said of the nascent band, "We came together through Hendrix. When we spoke to Freddie, we discovered we had the same musical tastes. He was a complete Hendrix freak. He once saw him 14 nights in a row, in different pubs every time." Not sure about John Deacon, he practically never spoke to the press.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Bosch said:
Free solo , had to look away at times. The guy is demented!

Dimma is using the 2015 roped climb as their inspiration this year - similar to the one step at a time Everest thing.

Needs to update to the 2017 Alex Honnold climb. Ridiculous effort.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
It's one of many interesting episodes that didn't make the script. There's no Queen footage from Sunbury that I'm aware of, but it's common belief that they were booed off. Early 1974... one album in and yet to have a charting single anywhere in the world. And they were two hours late.

Freddie a couple of months after Sunbury... not hard to believe they were booed amidst the Sunbury dirt and booze.

[youtube=560,315]8UmIVOOAwE4[/youtube]

One other small detail about the movie struck me as odd - R.E.O. Speedwagon being mentioned among the luminaries appearing at Live Aid. I’m sure a fan will set me straight as to how good they were!

See what you mean.... Might have been a bit too much for those raised on Billy Thorp and Chain.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
scottyturnerscurse said:
Knock Down the House on Netlfix is worth a viewing if you're into AOC. Bravo to the filmmaker for taking a punt.
I’ll give it a go.

Watched the Ted Bundy movie “Extremely wicked, shockingly evil and vile” with Zac Efron as Bundy which was very good too.