Movies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Movies

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Kimi. Hitchcockian thriller from Soderbergh. Rear Window meets Blow Out for the digital/COVID age. Pretty good. Big bonus: lean run time, just 83 minutes. Additional bonus: Zoe Kravitz.
How close to Rear Window was this as it shows on Foxtel this Friday? IMDB trailer makes it look more like that Dragon Tattoo trilogy.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
How close to Rear Window was this as it shows on Foxtel this Friday? IMDB trailer makes it look more like that Dragon Tattoo trilogy.
It has shades of Rear Window (no pun intended) and gives a nod to it, but far from a direct copy. Not in the league of TGWTDT, it's less complex. Nothing groundbreaking but well-made.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
It has shades of Rear Window (no pun intended) and gives a nod to it, but far from a direct copy. Not in the league of TGWTDT, it's less complex. Nothing groundbreaking but well-made.
Thanks spook. I'll give it a go as it does look interesting even though I don't like the over-use of technology in movies. This reminds me of a Lifetime movie I saw a few years ago with the girl being tech savvy who also had coloured hair and piercings.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Just watched The Courier (2021) which is a spy story based on the Cuban Missile Crisis in early 60s.

Great performance by Benedict Cumberbatch as the UK businessman/spy/pawn Greville Wynne.

Last edited:

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
I think she might be Catwoman in the upcoming The Batman

Just watched The Courier (2021) which is a spy story based on the Cuban Missile Crisis in early 60s.

Great performance by Benedict Cumberbatch as the UK businessman/spy/pawn Greville Wynne.
Yeah great movie. Watched it a couple of times now. Had never come across that story before, so it's always interesting to see a spy story you've never heard of before, in the old East v West spying days. Benedict is a gunn man :eyes

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Uncharted- awful. Poor script, poor acting. Not a single laugh. Worst thing is they are clearly making a sequel. Don’t bother.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Quo Vadis, Aida is (finally) playing in Melbourne cinemas.

It's in my all-time top-five for war films and I've seen nearly every decent war film.

But it's a tough watch. Strap in.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Film nerd alert.

The first Star Wars definitely had issues, which became more and more apparent as the series progressed and things got worse and worse. Empire was watchable, Return ruined by Ewoks. Gave up on the prequels, absolute guff ruined by Lucas's total creative control. Tried a few of the sequels, still unwatchable even though probably better than the prequels.

The bad (of the original Star Wars):
Lucas can't do characters really except for archetypes
Lucas doesn't know that a parsec is a measurement of distance, not time
The ending with the awards/medal ceremony is shyte
Some of the alien makeup/prosthetics are basic but that was the era I guess
It's cheesy - like TBR says it's trying to be all things to all people.

The good:
Despite weak characters, the actors are deployed well, in particular Alec Guinness. Nice gravitas as the wise sage. Poor bugger had to return as hologram/ghost in later episodes in a typically poor Lucas choice, but hey, he got heaps of money.
Ford perfectly cast as Solo - limited range but he can do arrogant smirking, good looks and some charisma - did fine
Fisher perfectly cast as Leia - limited range but great as the cute, girl next door princess with a cynical/humorous streak. Deployed even better as Belushi's jilted girlfriend with the rocket launcher in the Blues Brothers a few years later
Hamill perfectly cast as the slightly dumb, earnest young farmboy Jedi, did fine. Never done anything since but still, good effort.

Plot fine, stole a heap from Kurosawa's "Hidden Fortress" in particular the two peasants giving a running commentary on events replaced by the two droids. Nice build up to the Death Star battle (Lucas could never come up with anything better so Death Stars keep coming back in sequels, prequels or whatever).

Visual effects - amazing for the time in terms of battles, ships, explosions. The sets and locations are great. The sound design!!! Amazing. This adds so much - lightsabres, blasters, ship cannons - you can still hear them in your head every time you think about it. That was truly groundbreaking stuff.

But as a ten year old kid going to the cinema, the original was amazing. I couldn't watch it today though. But I could watch the Blues Brothers again except for the whole concert scene which I always skip.

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
But as a ten year old kid going to the cinema, the original was amazing. I couldn't watch it today though. But I could watch the Blues Brothers again except for the whole concert scene which I always skip.
You don’t like how the BBs run away from their own concert after 2 songs?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
The SW films (apart from the first 1977 one) are ridiculously over rated, like the Marvel films.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The SW films (apart from the first 1977 one) are ridiculously over rated, like the Marvel films.
Hard agree & they've absolutely flogged the magic of the original & best Star Wars to death.
Star Wars in 1977 was ridiculously good for it's time. Mainly due to the special effects. Williams score was amazing too.