MRP | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MRP

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
I actually thought what green did was very minor. Think the umpires should get out of these players way when they're clearly frustrated. not much in it for mine. I know people will disagree, but I would of given 1 week. These umpires are way to protected. in reality he brushed past him.
Think you are either related,sleeping with,friends with,or GWS fan?

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
Yep TBR. Should have received a free kick for tackle without the ball. Wasn't looking at the player and had no intention of hitting him high as he was trying to break the illegal hold. Bachar was done by the press and by the "outrage" from the journalista press junta that thinks it is more important that the game, and that AFL house. I think he was the victim of outrage. The original verdict should had remained. (Read his book to see the mind of the man, and how he felt about the decision of AFL house and the follow-up.).

Similar thinking for Toby. Never, EVER touch an umpire, but 6 weeks for a inconsequential bum, nothing like what has been seen in the past????? 6 weeks is "Manifestly" over-the-top.
Thanks Jimmy, TBR has a love affair for the umps.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I don't dispute it wasn't his intention to hurt anyone but I can't agree with anything else. I think the outrage was spot on, he did something very dangerous and caused a significant and severe injury to an opponent. It's not a stretch to say he is lucky he didn't kill him.
Yes it is.

Reactions: 4 users

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
You don't think a blow to the head severe enough to render someone unconscious, can kill them?
When was the last time a person was killed on the footy field from a blow to the head?

You’re sensationalising your claim.

Reactions: 2 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Not at all, such a blow is a very, very rare occurrence at AFL level and the best medical care is at hand but the risk is unquestionably there. Lower levels of the game have seen players die after similar incidents.

There's also the connection a damaging incident like that can have to future issues, such as the Shane Tuck tragedy.

Head knocks happen, accidents happen, concussions happen but you cannot have a situation where hitting someone in the head and knocking them out is only worth two weeks suspension, no matter what the intentions are.
Dangerfield? What penalty should he have received for his hit on Vlastuin?

Reactions: 2 users

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
Think you are either related,sleeping with,friends with,or GWS fan?
haha. I like them cos they seemed to just hand us the 2019 flag! I just find umpires a bit too protected, completely understand you're point of view though. Its 4 weeks minimum everytime, just think its harsh.

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
I'm in the unfortunate accident camp. Both players moving at speed, ball drew him up, no time to react. It was so fast I doubt anyone watching on TV even knew what had happened until they saw a replay. Missed free kick but nothing more. I thought it was pretty telling that even with the game stopped there was zero angst from the players towards Dangerfield. No way that happens if they think he clubbed him on purpose.
I think you meant to say “Danger was lucky he didn’t kill Vlaustin”…..

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Season.
But it was almost worth letting him off, just to be able to enjoy the look on Clench's face as they lost the flag n then backed it up by losing this years Prelim to Smelbourne.

I'm not sure, perhaps call me an *smile* if you must. But there's just something extra speshiaaaaal about seeing the Clench, Duckwood n Tommy the Hawk trudging of the ground when they've been knocked out of another finals series.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
You guys couldn't seriously see them as comparable incidents.
You were talking about the possibility of killing someone from a blow to the head.

Why is this the possible in Houlis case but not Dangers?

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Not at all, such a blow is a very, very rare occurrence at AFL level and the best medical care is at hand but the risk is unquestionably there. Lower levels of the game have seen players die after similar incidents.

There's also the connection a damaging incident like that can have to future issues, such as the Shane Tuck tragedy.

Head knocks happen, accidents happen, concussions happen but you cannot have a situation where hitting someone in the head and knocking them out is only worth two weeks suspension, no matter what the intentions are.

What Bachar did was far more accidental than what Dangerfield did to Vlastuin in the GF last year. Yet you condemn Houli and condone Dangerfield.
Houli threw his arm back without looking, he didn't aim a blow at the Carlton guy. Dangerfield on the other hand DELIBERATELY cocked his forearm before the impact on Vlastuin.

I honestly can't take you seriously on this.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Of course it is possible, any significant blow to the head can potentially kill.

But the two incidents are at completely opposite ends of the scale in terms of culpability.

I'm sorry but that is an absolutely ridiculous statement that can only be your view if you are completely compromised by team bias.

Have a look at the reaction of the players and umpires on the respective grounds when the two incidents happened and the wider football community in the days afterwards and you will see how completely out of step your view is.
Houli flung his arm out BEHIND him, Danger hit Vlaustin straight on. With an elbow.

why you’d base your outcome on the response of the nearby team mates is absurd.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Of course it is possible, any significant blow to the head can potentially kill.

But the two incidents are at completely opposite ends of the scale in terms of culpability.

I'm sorry but that is an absolutely ridiculous statement that can only be your view if you are completely compromised by team bias.

Have a look at the reaction of the players and umpires on the respective grounds when the two incidents happened and the wider football community in the days afterwards and you will see how completely out of step your view is.

Naturally I don't think my statement was ridiculous whereas your comment certainly is, I wasn't looking at either incidents from a "biased" point of view. I can tell you that quite a few of my mates (who don't support the Tigers) are of the same opinion as me on both incidents.

As for the media's reaction I won't comment on my reading of that other than to say the inconsistency of their reactions to the various footy incidents is laughable.

The players reactions can also vary widely on different incidents, I can't remeber how the Carlton reacted to Houli, but I can recall that the Richmond players were more shocked & stunned with what happened to Vlastuin leading to a delayed reaction.

You're welcome to your opinion I just don't agree with it.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The Dangerfield Vlas one still makes me spew up. Completely intentional, head high, knocked the bloke out, Dangerfield shows absolutely no concern or empathy towards the bloke lying unconscious.

• Angry

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
TBR is correct, the incidents cannot be compared.

In one incident the player who made the contact had full view of the player he ironed out.

In the other incident the player who made the contact could not see the player he hit.

Nope, no comparison at all, Houli would barely have known which part of the opposing player he would hit, Dangerfield knew exactly, exactly, which part of Vlastuin's body he was going to hit and he knew it would be Vlastuin's head.

DS

Reactions: 7 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
TBR is correct, the incidents cannot be compared.

In one incident the player who made the contact had full view of the player he ironed out.

In the other incident the player who made the contact could not see the player he hit.

Nope, no comparison at all, Houli would barely have known which part of the opposing player he would hit, Dangerfield knew exactly, exactly, which part of Vlastuin's body he was going to hit and he knew it would be Vlastuin's head.

DS
Houli was also extremely sorry for what he did unintentionally, whereas I don’t think Danger ever has even said he was sorry.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Houli was also extremely sorry for what he did unintentionally, whereas I don’t think Danger ever has even said he was sorry.

Houli contacted Jed Lamb after the incident to enquire about his health, I can't recall hearing that Dangerfield did the same.