MRP | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MRP

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
It’s taken exactly one week to demonstrate how completely inadequate the AFL are as a professional organization.

Reactions: 3 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Rioli I'm ok with. He was to mark then protected himself.

I actually think Mitch Robinson is stiff.
What the hell was Duursma doing in that contest? He actually looks up then ducks head first into it.
Why is there no responsibility on players to protect themselves by approaching the ball with good technique?

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
On the footage i see,

I simply cant see how rioli gets off.

No eyes on ball, leaves ground, gets unprotected rowell in head with his hip???

Trying to find meaning in the MRP is the ultimate meditation

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It probably says a lot about the state of the game when there’s so much interest in whether a dude gets zero weeks, one week or whatever because of typical AFL inconsistency and confusion.

AFL = Administrative Focus League.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Milli-second late & already leaving the ground at full pace. I have no doubt Rioli marks this if Rowell pulls up a touch short.
We ask our players to make an aerial contest but if someone gets hurt you can't suspend them.
There's truck loads of marking contests where players get hurt because someone in the contest was reckless. One could say Rowell has little self care here too?
Very slippery slope..

Rioli-Rowell25.37-am.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Rioli was clearly too late for this intention to mark. I reckon AFL will appeal this.

Agree on Mitch Robinson. Hit Duursma where he hit Dusty and yet gets a 1 week, whereas the hit on Dusty's was more intentional and nothing happened (I suppose it wasn't the head anyway, but nearly killed Dusty)

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Rioli was clearly too late for this intention to mark. I reckon AFL will appeal this.

Agree on Mitch Robinson. Hit Duursma where he hit Dusty and yet gets a 1 week, whereas the hit on Dusty's was more intentional and nothing happened (I suppose it wasn't the head anyway, but nearly killed Dusty)
AFL said no appeal.
If it was a Richmond player staging for a free kick they would have appealed but since it was only a head high contact, it’s okay.

Reactions: 2 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Milli-second late & already leaving the ground at full pace. I have no doubt Rioli marks this if Rowell pulls up a touch short.
We ask our players to make an aerial contest but if someone gets hurt you can't suspend them.
There's truck loads of marking contests where players get hurt because someone in the contest was reckless. One could say Rowell has little self care here too?
Very slippery slope..

View attachment 14839

Here is a more accurate angle:

Capture.PNG

Way too late from Rioli.

Reactions: 4 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Think of the number of times a player marking the ball knees an oppo defender in the head? There's countless cases of it every round..
Spot on. Agree, Rioli contesting the mark until the last minute. He jumped not yo bump but to attempt the mark. And did he hit Rowell in the head? Or through the chest?

Good decision. Any time I disagree entitle with mince I know I’m right.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
FMD and the tribunal let him off. Guess Rowell's head doesn't rate as a sacred site.
AFL just waiting on Lynch or anyone of our players to get reported so they can impose the harshest penalty possible to appease those concerned with possible injury

Reactions: 1 user

TheUmpire

Tiger Rookie
Sep 30, 2003
Easy in freeze frame or slo mo. He’s not to know what Rowell will do until the last minute. He wasn’t leaving his feet to bump, he was jumping to mark and had his arms out at that stage.

Good decision.
I'm sorry, but I disagree.

It's simple laws of Physics at play here - nit freeze frame.

The ball is travelling down at the moment the photo is taken and Rioli is travelling up. If he really wanted to mark the ball he should be travelling down.

If the AFL are truly interested in protecting the head then this is an open and shut case. As with most things, they completely cocked it up.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I'm sorry, but I disagree.

It's simple laws of Physics at play here - nit freeze frame.

The ball is travelling down at the moment the photo is taken and Rioli is travelling up. If he really wanted to mark the ball he should be travelling down.

If the AFL are truly interested in protecting the head then this is an open and shut case. As with most things, they completely cocked it up.
No, he’s trying to get to the ball first. He has no way of knowing whether he or Rowell are going to get there first. So you attack the ball. It’s pretty clear he is not jumping into Rowell with the intention to dump. He is front on until the last moment.

Was Rowell actually struck in the head? Or through the chest?