Nathan (Axel) Foley [MERGED] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Nathan (Axel) Foley [MERGED]

Judge Smailes

The world needs ditch diggers too!
Dec 17, 2003
Adelaide
47 touches from Nathan Foley?? Man, it must be all the action he is getting from the three chicks in Hi-5. Getting touches on and off the park!

I suspect Wallace will be having stern words to Foley.

Last week Wallance knew Foley was knocking on the door for selection.

I think this week Foley didn't so much knock on the door as kick it in and smash it to splinters.

Hand Foley a Brownlow now I saw and skip a lot of beating around the bush :clap

Whos Ya Daddy

Tiger Rookie
Jun 6, 2005
Here are the offical stats from the game:

Coburg Tigers Vs. Williamstown Round 14 July 9th
No. Player Kicks H/Balls Total Marks Goals Behinds
Given
8 T.Roach 12 11 23 1 0 0
14 D.Polo 15 8 23 4 0 0
17 S.Morrison 20 5 25 6 0 0
22 D.Meyer 7 5 12 1 0 0
23 D.Jackson 12 9 21 2 1 2
25 J.Schulz 9 4 13 4 0 0
26 A.Pattison 6 5 11 3 1 1
29 A.Gilmour 5 1 6 2 0 1
33 B.Hartigan 9 1 10 5 0 0
37 K.Archibald 12 2 14 3 3 1
40 K.Moore 8 1 9 2 1 2
41 N.Foley 25 21 46 4 0 0
Rushed 4
Totals 223 121 344 57 11 15

Good to see Roach and Polo get a bit of it as well. If Polo gets a game this year, our first 5 picks from 04 will have debuted in 05.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Foley almost has to come in next week. Have to reward that effort. :clap The trick is who goes out of a winning team. It's a nice problem to have. Good to see Jacko and Shultz played well also.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Foley in the firsts? On paper, yes for effort, however, lets look at team balance first.

If Johnno is unavailable and Milne is covered, then Raines out for Foley.

Hampster

Tiger Cub
May 28, 2006
Nathan Foley

I think its great that Nathan Foley is now getting his chance, he is bottom of the pack terrier we need some one like him. He just like a young Liba

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Re: Nathan Foley

Hampster said:
I think its great that Nathan Foley is now getting his chance, he is bottom of the pack terrier we need some one like him. He just like a young Liba

Just needs to work harder, or more accurately, with his foot passing.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Phantom said:
Hampster said:

Just needs to work harder, or more accurately, with his foot passing.

Has shown he may have a long term gig with us if he remedies these deficiencies.

I reckon he might be due for a spell at Coburg again depending on form/injuries.

Hope he keeps up the good work however.

clown

Tiger Superstar
Mar 16, 2004

i like the boy he's hard at it and can find the footy pretty well.

tiger1980

Are we all a little crazy?
Jul 27, 2004

clown said:
i like the boy he's hard at it and can find the footy pretty well.

His clearances from centre square bounces have been good

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002

Likes the way Foley goes about it however IMO his AFL career is on borrowed time.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002

Hartbalme said:
CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Likes the way Foley goes about it however IMO his AFL career is on borrowed time.

In what sense, J2R ?
The one positive in Foley,s favour is he,s great in & under however apart from that he hasnt got to many tricks up his sleeve.Would be great if he was quicker.He would be pretty lethal if he had the speed to compliment his in & under capabilities.He would get a game at the Dome and the SCG because of the size of the grounds whereas at any other ground his lack of pace would be exposed.
I just have a gut feeling that TW doesnt see Foley as a long term prospect under the game plan of run and carry.

Shers

Tiger Superstar
Nov 30, 2005
Melbourne

Young Nathan will never win races over 50 or 100 metres.
However, over 10 to 20 metres he has a bit of toe. I think all teams need one or two players who are on the bottom of packs feeding the ball out. I realise Kane, Cogs and Tucky do that too, but at times they are required in other parts of the ground, as well as resting on the bench.
If Nathan keeps improving, I'm pretty sure he'll be with the Tiges for a while yet.

kb7882

Tiger Champion
Jul 10, 2003
Lilydale

Hartbalme said:

In what sense, J2R ?
The one positive in Foley,s favour is he,s great in & under however apart from that he hasnt got to many tricks up his sleeve.Would be great if he was quicker.He would be pretty lethal if he had the speed to compliment his in & under capabilities.He would get a game at the Dome and the SCG because of the size of the grounds whereas at any other ground his lack of pace would be exposed.
I just have a gut feeling that TW doesnt see Foley as a long term prospect under the game plan of run and carry.

Mmmm. So we have to balance his ability as an "extractor" versus his perceived lack of leg speed, and "iffy" disposal skills. I guess the skills are being worked on.

Will be interesting to see how he copes with the other. Lets hope he can, 'cos he's as gutsy as they come, and those blokes are important.

taraba

Eat em alive!!!
Jul 27, 2004
Planet Earth

I have another angle to suggest that young Nathan Foley might struggle. When you think of list management and who you're going to cut over the next few seasons his name would come up for a variety of reasons.

Firstly, if we want some quality picks in the superdraft we need to make space on the list. This year should not be too much of a problem but it depends on the number of picks we want. Obviously Stafford, Humm and Chaff would be almost gone. Not sure on Chaff and suspect we might hold on to Gas and Chubba. At least one of the two. And then you have to factor who is still in contract. Like D-Rod would be gone for sure but he's contracted for another year so that cancels him out. And unless you want to get rid of guys like Krak and Tivva, both of whom are playing great footy this year BTW and then you are already starting to delve into the stocks of our younger players.

Year after and the 2006 draftees are all on two year deals and we may or may not have delisted most of the above mentioned veterans. So think about who you're going to delist that year and then think of the year after. Unless we are drafting duds that you want to cut after two or three years it is going to be a difficult process.

So as much as I hate to say it, ultimately you'd think it's going to be guys like Foley who get the chop. When our side is more developed to Terry's plans it should be loaded with skilled running players and a couple of grunt types. If he keeps improving he could still be there in the future but he's gonna have to try and surpass players like Sugar and Cogs. That is his challenge to stay on the list.

Jools

Tiger Champion
Sep 25, 2004
Hoppers Crossing

There are probably options for delisting and then redrafting onto the rookie list aren't there? Such as happened with Chris Hyde.