Nathan (Axel) Foley [MERGED] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Nathan (Axel) Foley [MERGED]

Baloo said:
It was inevitable but that sucks. Not sure we seen a player work so hard from the rookie list to end up playing for the Big V.

Who knows what his career would have been like if Wallet didn't force him back onto the ground while he was still injured.

He certainly worked damn hard to give himself an opportunity to play in the big leagues..
He was dealt a poor hand when it came to injuries. He worked diligently to overcome them, but never got back to his best unfortunately for him and for us. What could have been!
Thanks "Axel" for giving your all. I wish you all the best in life and your future endeavors.
Well played :clap

Well done Nathan. Always have a soft spot for him - the first player (he was not in the main group on the stage) to sign an autograph for my daughters out at Jell's Park.

Inevitable, but still sad. One of my favourite players during the dark times under Wallace, it's a shame that his best years coincided with our worst. Still 150+ games is a very impressive career for an ex-rookie.

Congrats Nathan. You always seemed like a great clubman. Awesome player at his best.

sad that two of our best players of the 2000's were cut short in the prime of their careers.

CC TIGER said:
Has retired....such an unlucky career

*smile*...I was actually thinking of this last night....thinking. Sorry Axe, I must have jinxed you... :(

Great player. One of my faves. Sad that injuries ruined his career just like Cogs.

Amazing to think he's played more games than Cotch. Its been so long since we have seen him have a proper run of games.

All the best post footy Axel, and thank you for memories. :clap

Was an AA calibre mid at his peak. Absolutely cruelled by injuries.

Gave his heart and soul to the club, and I'm happy he played enough games to get his life membership.

When I saw his thread bumped had been, I knew it wasn't going to be because he was making his return.

Congratulations on a good career Axel. Life membership is something few achieve.

Wallace said he was the hardest working player he had seen. First on the track last off it.

I've always had so much admiration for Axel. Sad to see him go. One of my favs.

I'm so pleased that Nathan qualified for life membership before injuries cruelly cut short his career.
I'll never forget those dashes out of the middle to kick those great goals.
Thanks for the memories Axel.

Will be missed. Love him. Genuinely damaging player, made things happen, and had the ability to grab hold of a game and lead by example. A powerhouse. Would have loved a fairytale ending where he got fit at the end of the season and came on as a sub to help us to a win in a final, but wasn't to be. They are called fairytales for a reason, they very rarely happen. Thanks axel.

Would we have beaten Carlton in the Elimination final disaster of '13 if he was in the side? Who knows?, but as soon as we lost, pretty much everyone said he should have played.

Tigertool said:
When I saw his thread bumped had been, I knew it wasn't going to be because he was making his return.

Congratulations on a good career Axel. Life membership is something few achieve.

Wallace said he was the hardest working player he had seen. First on the track last off it.

I've always had so much admiration for Axel. Sad to see him go. One of my favs.

Well said.

Loved the Little Nugget. That was my nickname for him. Every time he got it and put on the afterburners I'd cry, "Go, Little Nugget!"

Heart of a champion. Deserved a Dyer Medal. Deserved a better run than his wretched last five years.

Cruelly dogged by an assortment of injuries, but gave everything for the club and his team mates when on the ground.
Best of luck for whatever you decide to do next Axel,

I remember him been drafted with the ball magnet tags an a few junior watches saying he was too slow, too small, poor skills, then he started tearing it up at VFL level getting massive numbers , then became our best mid till injury got him.

Spoke to him many times an easily one of the most modest nice blokes going around in AFL.

Felt sorry for him when Richo won the JDM everybody that night was congratulating him an telling him it was in the bag, then bang the biggest roar ever at the palladium.

Congrats Axe on brilliant career