Nathan (Axel) Foley [MERGED] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Nathan (Axel) Foley [MERGED]

Panthera tigris FC said:
Farewell to a champion of the club. Unfortunately injury prevented him from ever reaching his true potential. I remember watching him play for Coburg against Bendigo in the pouring rain at Punt Road Oval (pre-renovations) and he just racked up possession after possession. Knew he was going to be a player after that.

Don't forget his stellar 2007 season when absolutely dominated the PRE Player of The Year award. Voted best Tiger afield in 9/22 matches that year and in the best 3 an astounding 14/22 matches. Won it by the length of the Flemington straight.

Best wishes in his retirement.

Great post panthera. I reckon the pre award is big. Has there been a bigger win in the history of it?

Sad way to finish. He carried/ was the midfield for years and now when he could have been free wheelin he has been cruelled by injuries. Only 60 or so have played more for us so Nathan's career stands up to a lot of scrutiny. Well played.

Harry said:
gun player in his prime. Dearly miss his run and carry. *smile* you Wallace or ruining him.

for those who have forgotten how good he was watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYG2Oz6OBlw

Thanks for that Harry, he was a gun player.

Harry said:
gun player in his prime. Dearly miss his run and carry. *smile* you Wallace or ruining him.

for those who have forgotten how good he was watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYG2Oz6OBlw

What was the circumstances that Wallace forced him to play injured?

Ah Weeble :'(

Sad it ended this way for you. I Will always remember those breaks from the centre, running to 50 n dobbin a sausage roll.

Like for many others, you where one of my favs, you in your prime over the last two seasons n next year would have been a fantastic weapon.

Thanks for your service Sir Weeble!

A man who's career was full of injustices.

Running his Achilles into the ground for the jumper. Being left out of that final. Not crueled as much as Coughlan, but robbed just the same.

Always be a Tiger fave of mine. Good luck in retirement mate.

duddelist said:
Nathan you were a star at your best we missed you significantly over the last years all the best
We did. Over the last 10 years we have been robbed through injury of 3 star players in Foley, Coughlan and Brown.

Foley at his best is exactly what we need right now

Well done Axel. Loved watching you play, you got the absolute most out of yourself. A great player and clubman.

Sintiger said:
We did. Over the last 10 years we have been robbed through injury of 3 star players in Foley, Coughlan and Brown.

Any one of those 3 at their best would come in handy now, any time really.

Always sad to lose someone of the quality of Axel both as a person and a footballer, seeing his interview with Richo yesterday and his comments on how he would like to be seen, i think its fair to say the respect and admiration from all is a representation of his contribution, he asked to be remembered as a good team mate/member and a person who worked extremely hard to get the best out of himself, i think he has those areas well and truly covered. Thanks for everything Axel and wish you the very best post RFC life.

Wouldn't need moltop if he was able to get his body right.
Once stood as our best midfielder.

BrisTiger24 said:
Congrats to Axel on a fantastic career. Always got the best out of himself. Was one of the few modern players who got to put on the Big V. Held up the Richmond midfield. Imagine what he would have looked like at his best with Cotchin, Miles, Dusty around him.

Such a good bloke too, you can see that from his speech to the players.

Best of luck for retirement Axel - now get moving breeding boys

Nathan and Kate are having a baby in November..

Sintiger said:

if you go back further then tony free finished by mid 20,s, i dont think any other club has had 4 a graders finished basically mid 20,s

thanks Axel for your service to this great club
loved the way you played
well respected ( its seems ) by the entire club
good luck

It was interesting to hear Luke Hodge on the Footy Show heap praise on Nate last night, it seems he is a very highly respected player in the AFL.

Thanks for your terrific service to the Tigers Nathan, you gave your all for the Club every time you ran onto the ground. Your professionalism, preparation & approach to rehab from the injuries that eventually cruelled your career is a fine example to all players to aspire to.

I loved the way you played & I hope that life after footy is terrific for you.

TT33 said:
It was interesting to hear Luke Hodge on the Footy Show heap praise on Nate last night, it seems he is a very highly respected player in the AFL.

Thanks for your terrific service to the Tigers Nathan, you gave your all for the Club every time you ran onto the ground. Your professionalism, preparation & approach to rehab from the injuries that eventually cruelled your career is a fine example to all players to aspire to.

I loved the way you played & I hope that life after footy is terrific for you.
are they both from colac?