Night-time Hoodoo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Night-time Hoodoo

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Its official! We have a Night-time Hoodoo!

Look at these stats

DAY TIME
Played 5 Won 5 Lost 0

NIGHT-TIME
Played 6 Won 1 lost 6

The only one we did win at night was the sloppy close game against the Demons in which we were anything but convincing!

I am so confident in this theory that we will beat Carlton without a problem as it is played on Saturday arvo.

Does anyone know how many more night games we have to play this year?? The less the better as far as I'm concerned.

I think some players body clocks need to be checked.
In all seriousness, the difference in some players performance between evening and Afternoon games is astounding. Some of the players that come to mind are:
Kane Johnson
Mark Coughlan
Greg Tivendale
Leon Cameron
David Rodan

These guys are Brilliant when playing in the afternoon but their form for Night games drops considerably.

Anyone else have thoughts on this??

T

tiga chikk

Do any of the players have eye problems eg wear contacts because this could maybe affect how they see at night

otherwise lets hope its just a very bad conisedence

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
The problem is the majority of those players are average footballers day or night

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
Coghlans a good young player granted and has potential
kane Johnson was a fourth string on baller in a star studded line up and has never been tagged in his life and we now see what happens when he gets one at the end of the day not worth pick 2 in the draft.

Rodan although young does not do enough even when he does get the ball he over cooks it. He is undisciplined and is clearly not fit enough to play in the midfeild. When on the forward line barely gets a possesion. Its clear why you could win 2 u/18 B&F's and be over looked.
As for the others
Cameron has been good but is now finished.
Tivendale and while currently in a bit of a purple patch hes been there a while and hasn't had a lot of influence.
While I am here
Fiora into his 4th year he is to light and hasn't produced not when you think Pavelich was taken with the next pick.
Ray Hall is the softest big man I have seen, can't take an over head mark and his attack on the footy is half hearted at best also runs like forest gump.

I could go on

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
tiga said:
Its official! We have a Night-time Hoodoo!

Look at these stats

DAY TIME
Played 5 Won 5 Lost 0

NIGHT-TIME
Played 6 Won 1 lost 6

The only one we did win at night was the sloppy close game against the Demons in which we were anything but convincing!

I am so confident in this theory that we will beat Carlton without a problem as it is played on Saturday arvo.

Does anyone know how many more night games we have to play this year?? The less the better as far as I'm concerned.

I think some players body clocks need to be checked.
In all seriousness, the difference in some players performance between evening and Afternoon games is astounding. Some of the players that come to mind are:
Kane Johnson
Mark Coughlan
Greg Tivendale
Leon Cameron
David Rodan

These guys are Brilliant when playing in the afternoon but their form for Night games drops considerably.

Anyone else have thoughts on this??

If people can remember I mentioned this a few weeks ago and I actually outlined Coughlan. A few people scorned me for this however :'(.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Laff said:
Coghlans a good young player granted and has potential
Ray Hall is the softest big man I have seen, can't take an over head mark and his attack on the footy is half hearted at best also runs like forest gump.

I could go on

I agree with those two points.

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
What about Johnson, they gave the 2nd pick for him and at age 25 with 2 flags under his belt I doubt he would be that hungry anyway

tiga

Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Harry who would scourn you?? ;D

I don't recall reading your thread but we seem to agree on this topic. Did you specifically target Coughlan or were others mentioned. Personally I think the problem is across the whole team including the coaching staff.
We need to better prepare for night games and I think it's more a mental thing than anything. Are we preparing any differently for day games as compared to night games? How does our preparation compare to teams like Port who have a very good Night record?

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
You're kidding about Laff aren't you???

This is a guy who has won 2 premierships, could have won 2 Norm Smith medals if it wasn't for Andrew McLeod (he was sensational in both GFs), is the ultimate professional, is hard at the ball and the player, is the sort of player we have been crying out for and and you reckon he's no good!!!I think it's great how you are attempting to be controversial on this board mate, but those comments shows you no nothing and are very ill informed about Johnson and his commitment.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Why stop at night time hoodoo?

There is the white shorts hoodoo.

The return from Subiaco hoodoo.

The cavalcade hoodoo. Does anyone notice how we hardly win games when there's been some pre game entertainment around the ground. The Collingwood game with the Jack Dyer/Lou Richards cavalcade. The round 22 absolute flogging by the Dees when they had cavalcades and pom pom girls.

The North emotion hoodoo. Bryan Martin and Jason McCartney.

The milestone hoodoo. We usually lose to teams with big milestones and lose when we have milestones. Would love to see the stats on that one, maybe the losses just stand out more then.

The finals hoodoo. We don't just lose, we go out in style.

It all boils down to mental toughness to me. A team like North rises to the occasion and gives that bit more when the occasion calls for it. Richmond seems to go the other way.

Get a witch doctor in to exorcise all the hoodoos out of the place quickly.

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
Here here Rosy....its time they were told. The minute I heard that North were going to play him I knew we were gone.
The fact that he came back for one game shows that Richmond were targeted from way out. They are mentally soft and nothing has changed and as for Johnson my point was he is not worth pick 2 in the draft and not by a long shot

tiga

Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Boss, you can't argue with the facts on this matter. There is something seriously wrong if we can't win our fair share of night games. To prove the point RICHMOND will BEAT CARLTON this weekend. I'm certain. If we lose this thoery goes out the window but If we win, especially if its a convincing victory, you have to look seriously at this.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
Regarding Johnson Laff if we didn't give pick number 2 we wouldn't have got Johnson he would have gone to Geelong for pick 9. The Crows were desperate for an early pick to trade to North for carey.

He is worth pick 2 because we are in desperate need of some recognised class players who are hard at the footy, have good skills and have been to the top of teh mountain (ie won premierships in his case 2). Wells will be a good player in 3-4 years but we need that good player NOW not a kid full of potential (too many of these haven't gone on with it). I'm rapt we've got him, 3 weeks ago everyone was saying he was one of teh recruits of the year and he went into $31 for the Brownlow, now after a couple of losses the tune has changed. Do not understand.

tiga

Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
I agree Boss, Kane is a great pickup and a valuable contributor to the team. But can you think of a reason why we don't play well in night games??

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
Tiga re your HOODOO.

You're HOODOO will probably be proved correct over the next few weeks because we will beat Carlton in the day and then look who we play after that.......Brisbane at Brisbane at night and then Adelaide in Adelaide at night. They will probably beat us but not because of the hoodoo - because they are better then us!!!

So too were Collingwood when they beat us Round 1, and Sydney 2 weeks ago (hang on wasn't that due to the Subi hoodoo!!) and the Kangas game could have gone either way. What happened to the hoodoo when we beat Melbourne at night ?