Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland

worried about this

He has never shown much as a forward, but on the flipside he has been an elite KPD

worried about this

He has never shown much as a forward, but on the flipside he has been an elite KPD
Same. Similar journey to A Rance. Played left right and center till he found his sweet spot at full back. For me he and Tarrant are our KKP in defence. Broad, Vloss and Grimes (and maybe when all fit Broad misses out a little) .. and from the reporting Gibcus plays early too.... All good headaches to have but we run the risk of stalling Baltas development by playing him everywhere. Wait and see how this plays out.

I reckon that's a great comparison, although I think Noah is more agile than the G train.
Gherig in his younger years at west coast was a freak athlete and extremely quick and agile , Only at St Kilda he bulked up and become heavier and stronger.

Reactions: 1 users
Leysy's been thinking a bit more on this - Whilst Balta will no doubt find it harder in the forward line where he needs to think more and has question marks on his forward nouse i.e. when/where to lead etc.

It is still well worth a try.

We have coverage down back - Tarrant, Grimes with Miller & possibly Gibcus and maybe Biggy coming through and needing opportunity. We only really have the Great Samson as a tall forward in the wings. It will really balance our talls out.

If he can make a go of it forward/ruck the options for Hardwick are also plentiful i.e. It will help Jacks game now he is better suited to the 3rd defender, his on-ball/ruck work in bursts could be real game changers and his big kick can unlock defences.

Big forwards are also harder to get.

If it doesn't work (very possible) we move him back from whence he came.

Reactions: 8 users
Don't think we've even scratched the surface with Balta, and have no idea what his ceiling is, and I think Miller may be the same.

Reactions: 5 users
Don't think we've even scratched the surface with Balta, and have no idea what his ceiling is, and I think Miller may be the same.
I just watched again the second half of the 20 grand final. I didn’t realise how good Balta was roaming in the ruck and forward.
Surely we are good for height in the backline. He could be a star just roaming around and making it up as he goes. Second ruck and a third tall would be his go and very hard to match up on.

Reactions: 3 users
I think he's most effective (at this stage of his career I hasten to add) as a defender who intercepts / attacks who can be thrown forward or occasionally on the ball. I question his footy IQ a little, and being a key forward is the hardest position to play and requires you to read how the play is unfolding up the ground. Can he do it? Possibly, we shall see.
Why do you question his IQ SK?
Do you know something about his mental ability that we unwashed don't?

Why do you question his IQ SK?
Do you know something about his mental ability that we unwashed don't?

I think the coaches worry a little bit about his in game focus and his ability to play to structure. This is all 2nd hand, but I think Dimma has mentioned the latter in passing once or twice.

Reactions: 1 users
StK, Dimma joked of him a couple of years ago that he tells everybody else what to do but doesn't know what to do himself.

Noah is a player who lacked football education. And is learning. If we play him #3 forward he has the capacity to offer a lot more pressure than most do. Likewise in the ruck. He's a very interesting player this year.

Reactions: 6 users
From today's report on clubs in the HS website.
NEW POSITIONS

Exciting young defender Noah Balta has been training with the forward line group across the summer as the Tigers eye a potential switch.

Balta’s athleticism, marking ability and quality kick could see him be a huge asset in attack.

Reactions: 1 user
Leysy's been thinking a bit more on this - Whilst Balta will no doubt find it harder in the forward line where he needs to think more and has question marks on his forward nouse i.e. when/where to lead etc.

It is still well worth a try.

We have coverage down back - Tarrant, Grimes with Miller & possibly Gibcus and maybe Biggy coming through and needing opportunity. We only really have the Great Samson as a tall forward in the wings. It will really balance our talls out.

If he can make a go of it forward/ruck the options for Hardwick are also plentiful i.e. It will help Jacks game now he is better suited to the 3rd defender, his on-ball/ruck work in bursts could be real game changers and his big kick can unlock defences.

Big forwards are also harder to get.

If it doesn't work (very possible) we move him back from whence he came.
Nice obs Leysy. Whilst I do love the thought of an impenetrable defence (how *smile* good and balanced is a Tarrant/Balta/Grimes/Vlas/Broad/Baker) Balta is a wildcard elsewhere that could really disrupt other teams plans.

He will be asked to play Ruck forward.

Which is a tough job .
Not great news for balta, as he is clearly an elite kd. But the drafting of gibcus and ccj chol leaving will mean he will be asked to learn another role . This will be tough for him imho because he doesn’t strike me as a natural footballer . Can see why they are pushing this because it makes the team better if he can make a fist of it .

I’d be ecstatic if Balta ended up as good as Gherig.
Especially since you argued obstinately that he was an absolute backman only, the Rance replacement only!! :LOL:

As much as you are trying to walk away from it nowadays.