Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland

Needs to train and learn the game as a tall.

For me he’s a CHB to start with. Use his athletic traits to launch attacks. Most of his best footy this year was as an attacking defender who pushes forward. Had cameo’s in the ruck and rolling forward but I have him as our next CHB if there is still such a role. More a key defender who excels as a interceptor. Hopefully when he gets more size he can play some relief ruck but you dont want him in there next year. Protect your assets.

SCOOP said:

For me he’s a CHB to start with. Use his athletic traits to launch attacks. Most of his best footy this year was as an attacking defender who pushes forward. Had cameo’s in the ruck and rolling forward but I have him as our next CHB if there is still such a role. More a key defender who excels as a interceptor. Hopefully when he gets more size he can play some relief ruck but you dont want him in there next year. Protect your assets.

This is a strange one Scoop, He has some really good traits and also would be a good fowards whith his agility , pace and leap
He is 195cm and 94kgs already and being a bottom age draftee it wouldnt suprise me if he still has another 2-3cm of growth in him and a extremely mobile foward with that height would be very very hard to defend.

Something like a 'Richo' Has me just a little excited at the prospect

My biggest concern with Balta is he can't bounce the ball that well. I know it's the least used skill but also the most important, it translates to all other skills and without it they suffer.

Jimmeh said:
My biggest concern with Balta is he can't bounce the ball that well. I know it's the least used skill but also the most important, it translates to all other skills and without it they suffer.

I'm not sure RFC would be wanting Balta to be bouncing the ball anyway. From CHB he will be able put under arm for the 10meters to get a break and then pump it 60. already in our fwd line at that stage. not being able to bounce wouldn't be a huge issue id think.

there is a lot of trent croad in this fella

SCOOP said:

Interested in your thoughts on Balta learning the game from the backline. My understanding is that he played back a fair bit throughout TAC comp and perfomed well . My only query on him is in the champs when he played back and it is a small sample size he didn't look comfortable. Even in the all star game he looked a lot more accomplished playing forward.
Having not seen him during the regular season would appreciate your thoughts on where he performed best at junior level

Kaelan said:
Interested in your thoughts on Balta learning the game from the backline. My understanding is that he played back a fair bit throughout TAC comp and perfomed well . My only query on him is in the champs when he played back and it is a small sample size he didn't look comfortable. Even in the all star game he looked a lot more accomplished playing forward.
Having not seen him during the regular season would appreciate your thoughts on where he performed best at junior level

My thinking too.

IMO he should be Jaaacks understudy while Miller should be Astbury/ Rances. Once their bodies mature, they would allow Nank and CuJo to play that mark behind the ball while taking rucking duties in the F and D 50.

SCOOP said:

Has played all his junior career as a foward/ruck, averaged 2.5 goals a game in the TAC last year. The only time he's played back is this year with the bulk of that time at state level. Got toweled up by Brander, probably won the day against Dixon. Ultimately I don't mind him learning his craft in defence but he's a forward in the making, it's also where he feels more comfortable.

https://amp.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/calder-cannons-afl-draft-prospect-noah-balta-sees-future-in-defence/news-story/2c014f940eb6a88c74be93fd228733f0

From the feedback here and from others I reckon the back line is his go.

SCOOP said:
https://amp.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/calder-cannons-afl-draft-prospect-noah-balta-sees-future-in-defence/news-story/2c014f940eb6a88c74be93fd228733f0

From the feedback here and from others I reckon the back line is his go.

I can see why recruiters have pegged him in defence, he's a good grab and has excellent closing speed. But this view has been one of the main reasons we have one of the steals of the draft. Many of the criticisms I have heard is that he's not a natural footballer, he lacks a football brain, he's a slow thinker etc., this couldn't be further from the truth, he's just learning a new position. Some of Balta's ruckwork has been Ryder good, his ability to take a grab 3 deep also marks him as a real aerial threat. Not sure defence gives him enough scope to utilise his talents. If we have him training with the forwards then we are making the right call.

bullus_hit said:
I can see why recruiters have pegged him in defence, he's a good grab and has excellent closing speed. But this view has been one of the main reasons we have one of the steals of the draft. Many of the criticisms I have heard is that he's not a natural footballer, he lacks a football brain, he's a slow thinker etc., this couldn't be further from the truth, he's just learning a new position. Some of Balta's ruckwork has been Ryder good, his ability to take a mark 3 deep also marks him as a real aerial threat. Not sure defence gives him enough scope to utilise his talents. If we have him training with the forwards then we are making the right call.

Agree mate , I always viewed him as a Foward with his athleticism and ability to leap and marking

He does have alot of Jack Riewoldt like traits but jack is just a footy head that he makes something out of nothing at times and has become a good leader

I just really like what he would bring to the foward line and whilst we did well with the 7 dwarf's dont think that's a long term foward plan and we will revert to a 2/3 tall foward line in the future when the personnel develops Balta,Moore,Miller there is alot of speed ability in these 3 talls

bullus_hit said:
Not sure defence gives him enough scope to utilise his talents.
Ya reckon Tross doesn't get enough scope to use his talents bullus? Not sure but it almost seems like your thinking along the old school theory of failed forwards to the back line.

Whilst it may be relevant that it's a bit more straight forward early on teaching youngsters to read the play n structure up from the back half than trying to read create the play in the forward half. Watching games and hearing coaches n commentators over the years, it's obvious that there is so much game control and implementation from the defensive half that there's massive scope for premium quality players to utilise their talent from defence.
Fair bit of talent worked out of the back halves of Brisvegas, The Moggies, Hawforn over the last few years, even ours is starting to show some ominous signs of not just defence but excellent creativity as well.
No shame in Balta perhaps becoming a premium key defender in the near future.

Spent the whole training session watching Balta, excited about his prospects. He will be my number 1 VFL watch for this year.

After a forward pressure drill, Leppa joked to his fellow coaching staff they needed to rename the drill "THE BALTA"