North Korea test Nuclear Bomb | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

North Korea test Nuclear Bomb

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
LidsandBling said:
Ready said:
An impoverished American has freedom of thought. so does a nth korean
Anyone caught tuning into a foreign radio broadcast, discussing anything political with their family and friends, contacting a foreigner or not doing as they're told simply "disappears". Even attempting to think independently has unspeakable consequences.

An impoverished American has the freedom to vote. so they can be thrown into a florida river
This is not the 1960s anymore. The US civil rights movement made so many sacrifices precisely so things could improve in that area.

An impoverished American who has no food and no money to buy food at least has some chance that someone -- family, friends, charity -- will do something to help them when the government will not. a nth korean has it given to him
If the government is providing everything, why have millions of North Koreans died of starvation? Why do those still alive feel the need to eat the bark off trees in order to survive?

An impoverished American accused of a crime at least has recourse to a court of law. so he can be unjustly prosecuted by a unjust jury
American court proceedings are subject to public scrutiny and can be reported by the media. The accused, if found guilty, has recourse to appeal. Injustices still occur under this system but it is far better than one where the accused is "tried" by a closed court, or simply subject to official summary justice.

An impoverished American will not be be thrown into a forced labour camp simply for discussing the failings of the government with another impoverished American. thats what work is
Slaving in a barren field with a rusty hoe fifteen hours a day with the barrel of a gun trained on you the whole time is not work.

An impoverished American who is the victim of injustice from the government at least has the chance that someone will speak out and bring it to public attention, even if nothing is done and the damage cannot be repaired. if nothing is done then whats the point
Something is done some of the time. If an American needs to speak out against a specific injustice then they can, and that is a damn sight better than being able to do nothing at all. Something being done even one time in a hundred is better than never at all.

I do not find it difficult to believe someone can hate America, but this belief should not preclude being able to see greater evils when they take place.

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
An American citizen -- an officer of his nation's military, no less -- leads the fight against the injustices of his own government when the government of the Australian accused will barely lift a finger.

;)

Anduril

You bow to no one!
Jul 29, 2004
Melbourne
Yup!
But lets get all worked up over the new bogey (NK) man and divert attention from it. :)
As someone who grew up when there was the very possible danger of a nuclear war I can''t get all fired up about North Korea I'm afraid.

RemoteTiger

Woof!
Jul 29, 2004
Ready said:
An impoverished American has freedom of thought.
An impoverished American has the freedom to vote.
An impoverished American who has no food and no money to buy food at least has some chance that someone -- family, friends, charity -- will do something to help them when the government will not.
An impoverished American accused of a crime at least has recourse to a court of law.
An impoverished American will not be be thrown into a forced labour camp simply for discussing the failings of the government with another impoverished American.
An impoverished American who is the victim of injustice from the government at least has the chance that someone will speak out and bring it to public attention, even if nothing is done and the damage cannot be repaired.

Yep in this world the US of A is the best democracy money can buy!.............

Lidsand

Chimp Mail - Delivering Since 2007
Oct 12, 2005
Melbourne
Ready said:
LidsandBling said:
Ready said:
An impoverished American has freedom of thought. so does a nth korean
Anyone caught tuning into a foreign radio broadcast, discussing anything political with their family and friends, contacting a foreigner or not doing as they're told simply "disappears". Even attempting to think independently has unspeakable consequences.

An impoverished American has the freedom to vote. so they can be thrown into a florida river
This is not the 1960s anymore. The US civil rights movement made so many sacrifices precisely so things could improve in that area.

An impoverished American who has no food and no money to buy food at least has some chance that someone -- family, friends, charity -- will do something to help them when the government will not. a nth korean has it given to him
If the government is providing everything, why have millions of North Koreans died of starvation? Why do those still alive feel the need to eat the bark off trees in order to survive?

An impoverished American accused of a crime at least has recourse to a court of law. so he can be unjustly prosecuted by a unjust jury
American court proceedings are subject to public scrutiny and can be reported by the media. The accused, if found guilty, has recourse to appeal. Injustices still occur under this system but it is far better than one where the accused is "tried" by a closed court, or simply subject to official summary justice.

An impoverished American will not be be thrown into a forced labour camp simply for discussing the failings of the government with another impoverished American. thats what work is
Slaving in a barren field with a rusty hoe fifteen hours a day with the barrel of a gun trained on you the whole time is not work.

An impoverished American who is the victim of injustice from the government at least has the chance that someone will speak out and bring it to public attention, even if nothing is done and the damage cannot be repaired. if nothing is done then whats the point
Something is done some of the time. If an American needs to speak out against a specific injustice then they can, and that is a damn sight better than being able to do nothing at all. Something being done even one time in a hundred is better than never at all.

I do not find it difficult to believe someone can hate America, but this belief should not preclude being able to see greater evils when they take place.

regardless of where you live ready. RELATIVELY speaking poverty sucks. the poor yanks dont know how good they got it and the poor nth koreans dont know how bad they got it. as i said ignorance is bliss. same same

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Whichever way you want to put it, North Koreans, like many of the poor around the world, are merely victims of their own poor government.

This argument of blaming a foreign government over the ocean, for the poverty of a nation's people, just wears thin.

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
Anduril said:
Yup!
But lets get all worked up over the new bogey (NK) man and divert attention from it. :)
As someone who grew up when there was the very possible danger of a nuclear war I can''t get all fired up about North Korea I'm afraid.

Actually I would say this is quite serious. There won't be a nuclear war but since the North Korean regime can pretty much do what it wants without consequence, other governments must be seen to say something, anything, even if they can't do anything, which is why it's such big news.

I will post an explanation later if anyone really wants to know why.

RemoteTiger said:
Yep in this world the US of A is the best democracy money can buy!.............
Winston Churchill said something along the lines of democracy being the worst form of government, except for all the other forms.

LidsandBling said:
regardless of where you live ready. RELATIVELY speaking poverty sucks. the poor yanks dont know how good they got it and the poor nth koreans dont know how bad they got it. as i said ignorance is bliss. same same

If I was eating the bark off a tree and in constant fear of secret police I reckon I would have worked out that things were pretty bad. Minimal hope of improving things is still better than no hope at all.

Lidsand

Oct 12, 2005
Melbourne
eating bark off a tree is arguably better than stealing and killing for money to buy drugs

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
The USA are supposed to be the world super power. They should set a good example.

Gypsy/LidsBling,

if you want to bag the yanks...that your prerogative...but what about this...credit where credit is due, eh fellas?
is this a good enough example to set?

Hunger still threatens millions in North Korea, and one symptom of the harsh conditions is the desperation of North Korean refugees trying in the past few days to elude Chinese police and seek asylum at American and Japanese consulates in China. As the Bush administration prepares to restart talks with North Korea, food, as well as weapons and troops, should be on the agenda. Despite the tense relationship between the two countries, the United States is the leading donor of food to North Korea, which cannot feed its 22 million people. American negotiators should insist on assurances that this aid is reaching those most in need.

Since 1995, the United States has provided more than $500 million in food and other commodities to North Korea—up to 350,000 metric tons of food each year. This year this aid is down to 155,000 metric tons because of demands for aid in Afghanistan; other countries are also sending less to North Korea. But American deliveries of food and fuel remain critical to Pyongyang.

http://www.brookings.edu/views/op-ed/cohenr/20020516.htm

Can't feed their own people, yet are building a nuclear weapon, with really, the only intention, of selling it onto the highest-bidder (al-Qaeda and their fanatical buddies).....yet people still find a way to get stuck into the Yanks.....unbelievable! ::) :mad:

Lidsand

Oct 12, 2005
Melbourne
Liverpool said:
Can't feed their own people, yet are building a nuclear weapon, with really, the only intention, of selling it onto the highest-bidder (al-Qaeda and their fanatical buddies).....yet people still find a way to get stuck into the Yanks.....unbelievable! ::) :mad:

you wanna prove that or you just guessing because that what rogue states do ::) ::)

you can be so pathetic sometimes

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
LidsandBling said:
Liverpool said:

you wanna prove that or you just guessing because that what rogue states do ::) ::)

you can be so pathetic sometimes

I didn't know because someone has an opinion of what could happen, should then be labelled "pathetic" because you don't agree....but I'll try and take up your challenge to prove why I think this way about North Korea's nuclear weapons being onsold to terrorist organisations:

Has the North Korean government thought about selling a nuclear weapon?
Again, the answer is yes.
At an April 2003 meeting with James A. Kelly, the U.S. assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific affairs, a North Korean Foreign Ministry official threatened that Pyongyang could "export nuclear weapons." Although famous for bluff and bluster, North Korea also has a well-earned reputation as "Missiles-R-Us."
Over the past decade, it has sold and delivered missiles to Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Egypt, Syria and Yemen.
Moreover, despite the American-organized Proliferation Security Initiative that seeks to prevent North Korean exports, it is continuing to sell and deliver missiles to dangerous customers. Late last year, Pyongyang reportedly delivered 18 missiles to Iran. As a criminal state whose two other cash crops are illegal drugs and counterfeit $100 bills, North Korea's government knows how to operate black markets.

http://bcsia.ksg.harvard.edu/publication.cfm?program=CORE&ctype=article&item_id=1525

I stand by my opinion.....whether you think its pathetic or not.

Curtiger

Tiger Champion
Oct 26, 2004
Moreland, Melbourne
Liverpool said:
You were inviting the descriptions of your opinion as dogmatic and paranoid, Liverpool. Perhaps if you posted the link to begin with you wouldn't have been called 'pathetic'.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Curtis E Bear said:
Liverpool said:
You were inviting the descriptions of your opinion as dogmatic and paranoid, Liverpool. Perhaps if you posted the link to begin with you wouldn't have been called 'pathetic'.

Firstly Curtis, it was my opinion, and i didn't invite anyone to highlight it and then call me pathetic.
I shouldn't have had to post any link, to have the right to type an opinion on an open forum.

Secondly, I could post a speech from Kim Jong saying he was going to sell weapons to Bin Laden, and someone like LidsBling would still call me "pathetic".
I think this word sums up his own persona beautifully.....and that is also my opinion.....do you want a link for that one too? :hihi

Can we please keep to the topic, instead of the personal slangings?

Curtiger

Tiger Champion
Oct 26, 2004
Moreland, Melbourne
We can be grateful that there were no leaks on the tests, but wil there be anymore underground trials? If so, the effects could be pretty really severe. Not the sort of thing you'd wanna push your luck on...

Ready said:
I will post an explanation later if anyone really wants to know why.
That's me. But if you CBF, don't worry.

Liverpool said:
Can we please keep to the topic, instead of the personal slangings?
Yes we can. Or I can try. I didn't say you invited being called pathetic, I said your opinion (that is the one you initially posted regarding Nth Korea's intentions) was asking to be described as dogmatic or paranoid. Perhaps you don't agree. Surely you'd agree that it would seem dogmatic/paranoid to a poster who didn't know about the events you posted about.
N.B. I know this is off the thread topic, but it is relevant to our side-discussion. Let's not let it overwhelm this thread and lead to another :hijack

P.S. In your last post, you called Lids&Bling pathetic. I would call that off-topic and a personal slanging.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Anyway, this bloke is just causing a big scene at the moment because he feels a bit 'ronery'! :hihi

Kim%20Jong%20Il%20Team%20America%20publicity%20shot.jpg