Olympics Tokyo 2021 - sport | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Olympics Tokyo 2021 - sport

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Yeah sorry, was just seeing the ROC teams at the games results…
For sure. Either way I think there is honest confusion over the Taiwan-Mainland China situation and terminology. Or simply the average Aussie - unless one is an international relations nerd (guilty as charged) - just doesn’t know.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
You mean Taiwan being forced to compete as Chinese Taipei (ROC is actually one of Taiwan’s preferred names).

But the whole Great Britain thing is not actually similar to CCP governed mainland China vs Taiwan.

One might argue that Northern Ireland may have some very loose parallels. But the rest of the Great Britain example is very, very different.

Saying that Scotland & Wales are “forced” to compete with England as Great Britain to boost England’s medal tally is akin to saying WA or QLD are forced to compete as Australia to boost NSW & Victoria’s medal tally.

Even with Northern Ireland. Athletes aren’t forced to do anything. For many years, residents of NI can choose to have British or Irish citizenship (or dual). And hence their athletes can choose to nominate to compete for their preferred of the two.
Yeah, my post was very much tongue in cheek.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, my post was very much tongue in cheek.
Ah, get you now.

Yes, you could see the wafer thin sensitivities of the CCP making assertions of such false equivalence.

Some of their utterances have been truly absurd and batty. Like some screaming, hysterical 13YO school student activist screaming on Twitter with the caps lock on.

Like the bizarre complaint that an action shot of one of their gold medal weightlifters was a deliberate ploy by racist white western news agencies to show Asian athletes in a negative light, as they considered it an unflattering image. It’s an action shot of an athlete lifting immense weight….just baffling…..

That all said. If the pandemic driven parochialism keeps up for much longer. WA or QLD might actually be saying, they want WAxit and Quexit. And don’t want to be forced to compete for Australia. :)

PS…. In any Quexit, QLD can give up any false claim to Ariarne Titmus. Like Nick Riewoldt, Tasmanian through and through, end of story. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
One thing to point out about the Chinese rants is that they have their tabloid shock jocks just like every country does.

But when it's a Chinese Embassy getting angry over ugly photos, you start to wonder how much central control there really is in China

What's the bet the Chinese view AFL by the rants of Karen Kornes

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
One thing to point out about the Chinese rants is that they have their tabloid shock jocks just like every country does.

But when it's a Chinese Embassy getting angry over ugly photos, you start to wonder how much central control there really is in China

What's the bet the Chinese view AFL by the rants of Karen Kornes
But what makes it particularly creepy and weird (in some sort of bizarre Orwellian twist) is that this is official government departments coming out with statements akin to the most insane shock jocks.

Mind you, the CCP embassy might only need to look to the likes of Barnaby Joyce - with his truly bizarre, crazed self video rant that looked like a scene out of the Blair Witch Project. Or the insane, unhinged, unelected Senator for Victoria, Lydia Thorpe to look for similar derangement among Australia's official Parliamentary representatives.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Saying that Scotland & Wales are “forced” to compete with England as Great Britain to boost England’s medal tally is akin to saying WA or QLD are forced to compete as Australia to boost NSW & Victoria’s medal tally.

Scotland and Wales are separate countries so it's not the same states in a federal system.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
7 is obviously on delay. I had an alert on my mobile about the win about 15secs before they crossed the line on 7.

The ultimate spoiler in such a close race.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Scotland and Wales are separate countries so it's not the same states in a federal system.
What is a country? Is it not sovereignty over a land area? Scotland and Wales are like NSW and VIC in that they don’t hold ultimate sovereignty they only have certain delegated powers.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Geez that Titmus is a terrier in the pool. Just mows them down. Terminator is a great nickname. Well done Arnie!! :clap2