Olympics Tokyo 2021 - sport | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Olympics Tokyo 2021 - sport

The Big Tuna only qualified 6th for the 100m final. Reckon he'd be a bit disappointed in that. He's looked quite dominant in his other swims. Hopefully he's at his best for the final.

The Big Tuna only qualified 6th for the 100m final. Reckon he'd be a bit disappointed in that. He's looked quite dominant in his other swims. Hopefully he's at his best for the final.
Dressel's going to tough to beat.

Titmus wins Gold in the 200 freestyle, Ledecky finished 5th, Ariarne smashed her like a big old Bass guitar. Looks like beating her in the 400 has broken her.

Thought Titmus was no chance mid way through the race. flew home in the end. Well done.

Titmus wins Gold in the 200 freestyle, Ledecky finished 5th, Ariarne smashed her like a big old Bass guitar. Looks like beating her in the 400 has broken her.
Don't think that result was unexpected for Ledecky. The further she goes the better she is. She should win the 800m and 1500m comfortably. Don't think Arnie is really expected to challenge for gold in the 800m but with her tenacity you never know.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't think that result was unexpected for Ledecky. The further she goes the better she is. She should win the 800m and 1500m comfortably. Don't think Arnie is really expected to challenge for gold in the 800m but with her tenacity you never know.
This is correct but we can only hope, I found the below comparison coming into the meet :

The 800 figures to be Ledecky's race all the way. Ledecky has proved that the longer the race, the more dominant she is. Her entry time of 8:10.70 is nearly four seconds faster than China's Wang Jianjiahe at 8:14.64, and Titmus comes in at fourth at 8:15.57.

This is correct but we can only hope, I found the below comparison coming into the meet :

The 800 figures to be Ledecky's race all the way. Ledecky has proved that the longer the race, the more dominant she is. Her entry time of 8:10.70 is nearly four seconds faster than China's Wang Jianjiahe at 8:14.64, and Titmus comes in at fourth at 8:15.57.
The way Arnie is swimming you'd reckon she'd be a monty for another medal of some colour.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this the first Olympcis with the women swimming a 1500 and the men doing 800 - it used to be only one of each? And the 1500 really should be 1600.

Perhaps Ledecky didn't expect to win, but her big mouth teammate did, hence my "she got smashed like a big old bass guitar."

Reviving memories of Gary Hall Jr’s gaffe from two decades ago — when he wrongly bragged that the Americans were going to smash the Aussies like guitars – Lilly King has gone one step further, claiming the US women will win every individual gold medal in women’s swimming at Tokyo.

Last edited:
Ledecky leading the 1500 after racing the 200 not that long ago is a fair effort.

Still life in Ledecky

Scotland and Wales are separate countries so it's not the same states in a federal system.
Well in actual fact, they have even less separation and autonomy from the UK that Australian states have from the Federation. So depends on one's definition of a "country". In practical governance terms, Australian States are probably closer to being "countries" than those elements of the UK. Although for legacy reasons we call them "a country".

What is a country? Is it not sovereignty over a land area? Scotland and Wales are like NSW and VIC in that they don’t hold ultimate sovereignty they only have certain delegated powers.
And as I mention above, the various elements of the UK have even less delegated powers than Australian States. Our States are closer to being "a country" (a very rubbery term) than England, Scotland and Wales in any practical measure - albeit less in people's emotive symbolic consciousness.

People will call me treasonous, but I found myself actually with mixed emotions seeing the HK girl get swamped by Arnie. I think part of me was actually barracking for the HK swimmer to win. The way I figure it, Arnie had a gold medal already (and the Australian team, plenty of gold medals), no shame in a gold and a silver.

I suppose I just find the swimming programme a bit tedious with the same few countries winning everything combined with the over the top Australian jingoism that grates on me a bit (no disrespect meant to Titmus herself). Great to see a few other smaller nations come out of the box and upset the apple cart. And indeed, that is a more desirable outcome for the health of the sport and the Olympic movement more generally - a greater spread of competitors at the pointy end. I suppose I prefer a great contest with lots of depth coming from many different corners to add an extra layer of interest, as opposed to barracking just for the Australian (or Tasmanian in my case) athletes.

Last edited:
There was a swimmer from Tunisia who won a gold medal the other day, that was nice to see.

But the swimming does have a few dominant countries. Suits Australia I suppose as Australia is one of the dominant countries.

DS