Olympics Tokyo 2021 - sport | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Olympics Tokyo 2021 - sport

There was a swimmer from Tunisia who won a gold medal the other day, that was nice to see.

But the swimming does have a few dominant countries. Suits Australia I suppose as Australia is one of the dominant countries.

DS
Yes, that was a pleasant win to see.

But yes, a few dominant countries does make it a bit bland for me, probably even more so with the grating Australian jingoism that comes on top of that.

Reactions: 1 users
What is a country? Is it not sovereignty over a land area? Scotland and Wales are like NSW and VIC in that they don’t hold ultimate sovereignty they only have certain delegated powers.

Try telling the Scots or the Welsh they are not indeed indeed separate countries and they will tell you to go *smile* yourself, regardless of the peculiarities of the Union. Of course the Scots in particular want more independence than they have now.

Well in actual fact, they have even less separation and autonomy from the UK that Australian states have from the Federation. So depends on one's definition of a "country". In practical governance terms, Australian States are probably closer to being "countries" than those elements of the UK. Although for legacy reasons we call them "a country".

Well, that's just wrong. For example, Scotland is a separate nation that is part of the British Empire and the Union of Great Britain, but is indeed a nation. They even have their own currency. That's not to say England doesn't have the whip hand, they do.

Combine that with people's self-identity as Scots first and members of the United Kingdom second and the difference is massive.

Saying that the Union is the same as a Federation of states like Australia is wrong, plain and simple. But if you like give me an example of how an Australian state is more like a nation and has more autonomy than Scotland is/does.

Finally, try telling a pub in Glasgow that we only call Scotland a country for "legacy reasons" and then have fun pulling the broken beer-glass out of your face.

Well, that's just wrong. For example, Scotland is a separate nation that is part of the British Empire and the Union of Great Britain, but is indeed a nation. They even have their own currency. That's not to say England doesn't have the whip hand, they do.

Combine that with people's self-identity as Scots first and members of the United Kingdom second and the difference is massive.

Saying that the Union is the same as a Federation of states like Australia is wrong, plain and simple. But if you like give me an example of how an Australian state is more like a nation and has more autonomy than Scotland is/does.

Finally, try telling a pub in Glasgow that we only call Scotland a country for "legacy reasons" and then have fun pulling the broken beer-glass out of your face.

They don't technically have their own currency. Whilst they may produce their own bank notes from the Bank of Scotland, there is only one currency which is Great British Pounds. Its a different print of the same currency used throughout Great Britain.

Mind you, ask a Scot if they've had an english person look at that currency differently hahahaha. Anyone thats lived over there will know the term "its legal tender you know". Even the comedian Michael McIntyre took made a massive joke of this in Glasgow one time (btw my stepmum is Scottish and I've heard this exact phrase said haha)

Reactions: 1 users

Once again it comes down to the subjective term "country". I never disagreed that we don't refer to them as a "country". As I do too. So no danger here of getting a glass in my face. I have spent quite a bit of time in Scotland successfully negotiating the politics and status without coming across that hazard. You'd be surprised how many Scots consider themselves in kind of a dual identity, Scottish and British, without shame - it's not all one way traffic on that issue. But like Gia said, what is a "country" or nation? It can be a very subjective term. What I was pointing out is that in practical sense of governance, Australian States have more delegated powers than the various components of the UK do. So sorry, not wrong at all in the points I make.

Another interesting piece to this. England actually has even less (virtually zero) devolved powers from the UK that are afforded to Scotland and Wales.

I'm not entirely disagreeing with you, in that self-identity is an interesting element in all of this. And extending on that as a bit of a tangent. I've observed something really interesting in Australia. NSW in particular (and to an extent VIC). I've observed that people self identify quite differently to the rest of the country in the smaller states. Perhaps because they are the two dominant states of the federation. In the two bigger states there is really no huge meaning to them of being a Victorian or New South Welshman. It's just kind of just there in the background. But to us in the smaller states it really is a far more prominent part of our indescribable sense of identity (perhaps why you and I see the topic through slightly different optics). Perhaps it goes someway to explaining why QLD has always seemed so much more passionate about State of Origin Rugby League. Or why WA (and to some degree my state of TAS) have a reputation of intense parochialism as part of their psyche. All interesting discussion. But this forum isn't big enough to express all thoughts on the issue.

Reactions: 1 user
They don't technically have their own currency. Whilst they may produce their own bank notes from the Bank of Scotland, there is only one currency which is Great British Pounds. Its a different print of the same currency used throughout Great Britain.

Mind you, ask a Scot if they've had an english person look at that currency differently hahahaha. Anyone thats lived over there will know the term "its legal tender you know". Even the comedian Michael McIntyre took made a massive joke of this in Glasgow one time (btw my stepmum is Scottish and I've heard this exact phrase said haha)
Ha! There was a bit about the Scottish currency in the Ramesh Ramanathan show The Reluctant Landlord. exact quote “it’s legal tender you know”:D

Once again it comes down to the subjective term "country". I never disagreed that we don't refer to them as a "country". As I do too. So no danger here of getting a glass in my face. I have spent quite a bit of time in Scotland successfully negotiating the politics and status without coming across that hazard. You'd be surprised how many Scots consider themselves in kind of a dual identity, Scottish and British, without shame - it's not all one way traffic on that issue. But like Gia said, what is a "country" or nation? It can be a very subjective term. What I was pointing out is that in practical sense of governance, Australian States have more delegated powers than the various components of the UK do. So sorry, not wrong at all in the points I make.

Another interesting piece to this. England actually has even less (virtually zero) devolved powers from the UK that are afforded to Scotland and Wales.

I'm not entirely disagreeing with you, in that self-identity is an interesting element in all of this. And extending on that as a bit of a tangent. I've observed something really interesting in Australia. NSW in particular (and to an extent VIC). I've observed that people self identify quite differently to the rest of the country in the smaller states. Perhaps because they are the two dominant states of the federation. In the two bigger states there is really no huge meaning to them of being a Victorian or New South Welshman. It's just kind of just there in the background. But to us in the smaller states it really is a far more prominent part of our indescribable sense of identity (perhaps why you and I see the topic through slightly different optics). Perhaps it goes someway to explaining why QLD has always seemed so much more passionate about State of Origin Rugby League. Or why WA (and to some degree my state of TAS) have a reputation of intense parochialism as part of their psyche. All interesting discussion. But this forum isn't big enough to express all thoughts on the issue.

Good response, thanks for the taking the time PT. The Scots are great people, I wish I'd spent more time there than I have. And many Scots cherish the Union, for sure. On devolution, the opposing view is that England doesn't need to be devolved since they are the dominant partner in any case.

Technically I've seen the argument that Scotland is a "nation" but not a "country", but there is a lot of debate and discussion around even that. I've lived in WA and QLD as well and there is definitely an identification as state residents as well as Australians. I'd still argue most Australians see themselves as Australians first or at least on a par with their state identity... it varies of course.

I'd be interested if you can find any situation where an Australian state has more autonomy than say Scotland in any area though.

Having said all that I'm completely indifferent to medal tallies and how they are calculated ;-)

Last edited:
I've never understood why Great Britain compete at the Olympics but at the Comm Games Scotland etc compete as indepedent nations. And it always seemed odd to differentiate between Great Britain and the United Kingdom anyway.

I've never understood why Great Britain compete at the Olympics but at the Comm Games Scotland etc compete as indepedent nations. And it always seemed odd to differentiate between Great Britain and the United Kingdom anyway.
They pick and choose based on when England think they need help.

Olympics - GB
Rugby League - GB
FIFA World Cup - Eng, Sco, Wal, Nth Ire
Rugby Union - Eng Scot Wal - Ireland and Northern Ireland compete as one team
Commonwealth - Split

It's all a bit odd.

• Wow

Olympics - GB
Rugby League - GB
Commonwealth - Split

It's all a bit odd.

Cricket - England is actually the England and Wales Cricket Board so they can pick Welsh players to represent them as well.

I

Is it the metric mile? Same as the 1500 metre athletics.
Nah metric mile is 1600m. I think the actual mile distance is 1609m or something like that.

Correction metric mile is 1500m. Statute mile is 1609m. Still not sure why they run 1500 instead of 1600 though.

OK, didn't know that! But about a decade ago I was in Scotland and needed cash, withdrew about 300 squid from an ATM and then headed back south into the UK without even thinking about it... I had a few Poms look at the notes a bit funny but no-one actively questioned them. I wish I'd known the "It's legal tender you know" line at the time.

Olympics - GB
Rugby League - GB
Commonwealth - Split

It's all a bit odd.

Yes I have never understood that either now you mention it.

I do hope the Scotts break out from the UK - they don’t really like the poms and never have

they have their own teams. Scotland has its own and the NIrish play with Ireland, like the rugby.

Most of the members of Scotland's national team are amateurs, although a few Scots have played professionally in English domestic cricket, and for the England national team, including former captain Mike Denness.

Eoin Morgan has captained both England and Irish national cricket teams