Opposition discussion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Opposition discussion

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Still amazed Logan McDonald got to the Swans.

Norf with a massive miss.
What confuses me is, why was ugle-Hagan such a lock for pick 1 when he's apparently way off being AFL ready yet McDonald went at 4 & he's ready from the start, shouldn't that make McDonald the #1 lock?

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
You have to give credit to Sydney. A great football club. The young talent on their list is scary good.
How did Logan MacDonald last to their pick?
I don't see how Sydney deserve credit with the way they gain kids through thier academy, that's not skillful etc at all they are rorting the system.

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
What confuses me is, why was ugle-Hagan such a lock for pick 1 when he's apparently way off being AFL ready yet McDonald went at 4 & he's ready from the start, shouldn't that make McDonald the #1 lock?
Different clubs at different stages.

Swans want to pump games in to kids, Dogs going for a flag can’t carry kids.

Don‘t be shocked if JUH is in the ones soon. But much more competition for spots at the Dogs.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Geez, Cornes talking some sense, can't last.

The return to normal length quarters and a 22 round season, along with a game which seems to now involve a lot more running, certainly means that clubs who bank wins early but don't empty the tank will be at a distinct advantage. This season is going to be a slow burn so it pays to pace your team.

DS

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

JUH kicked 5 and dished a few off in the 2nds.

I reckon he'll play 2nds 3-4 times in his career.

Reactions: 1 user

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
JUH kicked 5 and dished a few off in the 2nds.

I reckon he'll play 2nds 3-4 times in his career.
The word is that JUH is a great player UNLESS you play hard and tight on him. Does not like the attention one bit.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
The word is that JUH is a great player UNLESS you play hard and tight on him. Does not like the attention one bit.
JUH, I would like you to meet Dylan Grimes....................................

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

Ill believe that when I see it.

Not many KPF'ds get played soft and loose on.

I reckon he's gonna be a star.

I reckon he could be Buddy to Logan McDonalds Roughy.

Didn't see Mcdonald play on Saturday but a bloke who played with in Perth reckoned he was very Nick Reiwoldt.

Im really looking forward to seeing JUH

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
JUH, I would like you to meet Dylan Grimes....................................
Doubt Hagan would ever get a better education. Grub would be more than happy to show him all the nasty niggly little things a defender gets up to, all in one match. Kid survives that intact he'll make a player.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Yeah, this Phillips kid would want to be Sam Mitchell at minimum judging on McDonald's first-up performance.

And Braeden Campbell. What a left peg. I think I heard them say 8 of the Swanth 22 were Academy players, including of course Nick Blakey, a Melbourne-born kid whose Dad played 300 games but he lived in Sydney for a few years cos his Dad was assistant coach at the Swanth so clearly he was in danger of being lost to League so well done AFL nothing to see there that's not a rort at all.
Yes but the whole Academy thing has proven just a huge rort. The Swans should have had to spend more time at the lower reaches of the comp, but have been supported via this AFL gift to bounce back far too quickly. Let's compare with LolNorf and how long it takes them - and they didn't even win a flag; just made a couple of Prelims.

Swans looking they could be a contender within 3 years, and won't even need Buddy.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I still don’t mind the academy thing for the non footy states - as long as it’s priced accordingly.

Where it stinks is when clubs like Collingwood pick up players like Quaynor - that’s rorting the system

Reactions: 1 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I still don’t mind the academy thing for the non footy states - as long as it’s priced accordingly.

Where it stinks is when clubs like Collingwood pick up players like Quaynor - that’s rorting the system
Quaynor was a joke - and a very handy player too with a great future (esp at a better club!). Would have loved a chance to draft him.

But the northern clubs have had similar dubious access to a heap of talent that has been off-limits to the rest.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW

Isn't this changing this year and the bidding system for academy players only comes alive from the second round?

Reactions: 1 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011

The joke is the Swans getting Blakey through thier academy. It's for kids with no AFL background yet Blakey's dad played what was then VFL football so he's clearly not from a non AFL background.