Palestine and Israel | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Palestine and Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Not Good News From Israel

I don't want to spoil a good opinionated debate, but has Israel crossed another country's border, and if so, what gives Israel the authority to cross another country's border with weapons of destruction?

geoffryprettyboy said:
I don't want to spoil a good opinionated debate, but has Israel crossed another country's border, and if so, what gives Israel the authority to cross another country's border with weapons of destruction? 

As the article stated, war began 2 weeks ago.

Didn't you read the latest articles, Hamas/Gaza & Hezbollah/Lebanon are freely firing mortars into Israel. It's no longer the sneaky snide tactics of terrorism anymore. My spin on it is that whether these groups wanted it or not, through their co-participation, a state of war exists.

My worry is that my daughter is still studying in Israel. Yesterday she was supposed to go on an excursion to the West Bank. I advised her not to. Fortunately she has taken my advice. An escalation worries me too.

geoffryprettyboy said:

Ask Bush. Blair and Howard, they're good at these questions.

Middle East conflict intensifies 
AM - Thursday, 13 July , 2006  08:00:00
Reporter: David Hardaker
http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2006/s1685464.htm

TONY EASTLEY: Events in the Middle East have taken a dangerous new turn with Israel now fighting Islamic militants on two fronts: Gaza in the south and Lebanon in the north.

Hezbollah forces operating out of southern Lebanon crossed the border and killed a number of Israeli soldiers and abducted two others.

Israel's Prime Minister, Ehud Olmert, described it as an act of war by Lebanon.

Israeli forces struck at targets from the land, sea and air, and then sent troops and tanks into Lebanon - its first incursion since it ended its occupation of the area six years ago.

Meanwhile, Israel continues its offensive in the Gaza Strip, where it's trying to secure the release of a soldier abducted late last month.

Middle East Correspondent David Hardaker reports on the unfolding drama on Israel's northern border, which threatens to drag other players into the conflict.

DAVID HARDAKER: The attack came out of a clear blue morning sky.

At five minutes past nine, militants from the Islamic resistance movement Hezbollah struck from across Israel's border with Lebanon.

With gunfire and explosives, and supported by rocket fire, they attacked two Israeli armoured jeeps.

Three Israeli soldiers were killed: the first of more to come. Crucially, two soldiers were abducted.

(sound of sirens and shells exploding)

Israel's response was swift. Within an hour, it had shelled bridges and roads in southern Lebanon, an attack aimed at cutting the escape route for Hezbollah's men.

Then, for the first time since May 2000, Israeli tanks rolled back into Lebanon.

(sound of tanks)

Israel's Prime Minister, Ehud Olmert, held the Lebanese Government accountable, on the grounds that Hezbollah's political wing is part of it.

"This morning's events were not a terrorist attack but the action of a sovereign state that attacked Israel for no reason and without provocation," he said.

DAVID HARDAKER: Now Israel's Defence Forces are engaged on two fronts: Lebanon in the north and Gaza in the south, and 6,000 reservists are being called up.

But Ehud Olmert said Israel was ready.

"They are going to fail and they are going to pay a heavy price for their acts," he said.

DAVID HARDAKER: Hezbollah's aim became clear early. It was acting to support Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, where close to 60 mainly militants have been killed over the last two weeks.

The operation bore all the hallmarks of cooperation between the Palestinian Hamas movement and their brothers in Lebanon.

Hezbollah announced, via its Al Manar television station, that it was putting the abducted Israeli soldiers together with 19-year-old corporal Gilad Shalit, who was seized by Palestinian militants from Gaza over two weeks ago. Together, the three are now bargaining chips for Palestinian and other Arab prisoners held by Israel.

In Beirut, the leader of Hezbollah, Hassan Nasrallah, was buoyant.

"This operation was planned five months ago," he said.

He told a press conference that the original aim of the operation was to release a prominent Hezbollah prisoner called Samir Quntar, who is held by Israel.

Now, though, he was expanding the scope of the operation and wanted the release of 10,000 Palestinian, Lebanese and Jordanian prisoners held by Israel.

(sound of car horns and people talking)

In the streets of Beirut, Hezbollah supporters cheered and handed out sweets to passing motorists.

From around the Arab world, Hezbollah's fellow travellers sent congratulations on the kidnap operation.

Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood and Hamas issued statements.

Syria's Vice President, Faruq al-Shara, said Israel's occupation of Arab land was at the root of the new crisis.

TONY EASTLEY: Middle East Correspondent David Hardaker. 

As stated by Hezbollah's Hassan Nasrallah, this operation was planned by them 5 months ago. Long before the recent kidnappings & retaliation. Seems that both Hamas & Hezbollah have wanted this for a long time.

Phantom said:
geoffryprettyboy said:

As the article stated, war began 2 weeks ago.

Didn't you read the latest articles, Hamas/Gaza & Hezbollah/Lebanon are freely firing mortars into Israel. It's no longer the sneaky snide tactics of terrorism anymore. My spin on it is that whether these groups wanted it or not, through their co-participation, a state of war exists.

My worry is that my daughter is still studying in Israel. Yesterday she was supposed to go on an excursion to the West Bank. I advised her not to. Fortunately she has taken my advice. An escalation worries me too.

Thanks for the information Phantom, this sort of news isn't really informative on mainstream channels.  My only concern is whether the Lebanese or Isreali Government have officially declare war on each other?

If war does escalate (and I hope to god it doesn't) who are Lebanon's allies and foes in the region?  Who are Israel allies, apart from the USA.

You know, whenever I hear any sort of war being escalated in the Middle Eastern region it really draws me back to the revelations in the bible, and that is something it says about the Holy War starting in the Middle east.

Anduril said:
geoffryprettyboy said:

I clearly follow you drift Andy, but we all know why they invaded went into Iran/Afganistan, something to do with terrosism.  On a different note, the billion dollar question that is still burning in my mind is whether the 9/11 terrorism was concocted by the US government! (I am not mentioning this to open up a can of worms).

olmert claims the kidnappings by the guerillas were an act of war by lebanon justifying their land and air attacks of civilian settlements and infrastructure. if these are lebanese soldiers and taking direct orders from the lebanese army he would be correct but these are rebels working on their own accord.

how can this be right in the eyes of the UN?

if militant australian rebels kidnapped new zealanders would the kiwis call that an act of war by australia?

i seriously doubt that.

israel are taking this too far. they still dont want to recognise hamas at all even though they were voted in democratically by the palestinian people.

please explain

geoffryprettyboy said:
geoffryprettyboy said:

I clearly follow you drift Andy, but we all know why they invaded went into Iran/Afganistan, something to do with terrosism.  On a different note, the billion dollar question that is still burning in my mind is whether the 9/11 terrorism was concocted by the US government! (I am not mentioning this to open up a can of worms).

Thought it was weapons of math destruction GPB ;D

until the UN stand up and be counted and make a stand israel and the US will continue to treat them with contempt by doing *smile* like this

http://yalibnan.com/site/archives/2006/07/israel_shells_2.php

israel you make me sick.

MMmmm 22 innocent people killed in Lebanon last night from Israeli strikes :-\

Said it was due to the deteriorating security environment.

DFAT has also issued travel warnings for Lebanon, advising to avoid travel.

LidsandBling said:
until the UN stand up and be counted and make a stand israel and the US will continue to treat them with contempt by doing sh!t like this

israel you make me sick.

you make me sick Deleted

this is what happen when you are at war things get bombed

LidsandBling said:
until the UN stand up and be counted and make a stand israel and the US will continue to treat them with contempt by doing sh!t like this

israel you make me sick.

You may have changed your alias but your hatred still identifies you.

geoffryprettyboy said:
If war does escalate (and I hope to god it doesn't) who are Lebanon's allies and foes in the region?  Who are Israel allies, apart from the USA.

You know, whenever I hear any sort of war being escalated in the Middle Eastern region it really draws me back to the revelations in the bible, and that is something it says about the Holy War starting in the Middle east.

Lebanon itself doesn't have any allies because it is a broken government. Syria was greatly miffed when its troops were ordered out of Lebanon. My guess is that Syria is using Hezbollah, who have representatives in the Lebanese govt, as a lever for taking Lebanon back over again. Hezbollah's allies are Syria & Iran.

Israel, as always, has the open support of the US, and the tacit support of other Western countries. Fortunately for Israel, in the last Gulf War, Arafat came out on Sadam Hussein's side. This moved many Western nations behind Israel.

LidsandBling said:
i dont trust anyone with nuclear weapons. not iran not nth korea not america. if america disarmed that would be setting some xample now wouldn't it . im sure some would follow the lead but while the US insist on being the global bullies them and their allies are best advised not to throw stones as they are living in glass houses

Thats pretty naive though mate.

If the USA totally disarmed themselves, do you really, truly think, that countries like Iran and Nth.Korea would follow suit?
They wouldn't.

Secondly..."global bullies"...let's just say that I'd rather have the Yanks on my side, and be the "bullies" than have a country like Iran or Nth.Korea as the 'global bully'.

And finally...it does make me laugh when I see people protesting about the USA at war, nuclear weapons, think of the poor Iraqi people etc ::)....but where are these people when Iran and North Korea test their missiles? where were the hundreds of protesters demanding Hussein stop the torturing and murders? where are the protesters protesting about the human rights in Nth.Korea (or lack of)? where is the outrage from the anti-war protesters when Iran, categorically states, that it wants to wipe Israel off the face of the planet?

These people are just hypocrites, if you ask me...one rule for the USA and its allies....and one for the rest.
Get off the anti-USA bandwagon and open some eyes...please!

Liverpool said:
LidsandBling said:
i dont trust anyone with nuclear weapons. not iran not nth korea not america. if america disarmed that would be setting some xample now wouldn't it . im sure some would follow the lead but while the US insist on being the global bullies them and their allies are best advised not to throw stones as they are living in glass houses

Thats pretty naive though mate.

If the USA totally disarmed themselves, do you really, truly think, that countries like Iran and Nth.Korea would follow suit?
They wouldn't.

Secondly..."global bullies"...let's just say that I'd rather have the Yanks on my side, and be the "bullies" than have a country like Iran or Nth.Korea as the 'global bully'.

And finally...it does make me laugh when I see people protesting about the USA at war, nuclear weapons, think of the poor Iraqi people etc  ::)....but where are these people when Iran and North Korea test their missiles? where were the hundreds of protesters demanding Hussein stop the torturing and murders? where are the protesters protesting about the human rights in Nth.Korea (or lack of)? where is the outrage from the anti-war protesters when Iran, categorically states, that it wants to wipe Israel off the face of the planet?

These people are just hypocrites, if you ask me...one rule for the USA and its allies....and one for the rest.
Get off the anti-USA bandwagon and open some eyes...please!

thats interesting coming from you Deleted

please dont make me laugh

the next big thing said:
LidsandBling said:

israel you make me sick.

you make me sick Deleted

this is what happen when you are at war things get bombed

has anyone declared war on another country? this doesn't happen when countries aren't at war, this happens when israel dont get their own way.

Deleted

Phantom said:
LidsandBling said:

israel you make me sick.

You may have changed your alias but your hatred still identifies you.

and your egotistical short sightedness identifies you, go back to israel and check your daughter is ok

Status
Not open for further replies.