Pathetic Crowd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pathetic Crowd

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Anyone think it's too many night games?

I don't have children But I would think getting home after 11 is an issue. ( and a lot of children's football is early Sunday)

And I could get away with a few Friday night games but I am always reluctant to leave my wife at home on a Satrurday night... Even though I will watch it at home, not like I am devoting my evening to her ....Weird.

Though all those reasons applied in 2019'and prior seasons too. But I rarely miss a day game and Saturday night is my least preferred slot. (Except 3.30 Sunday)

Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Don’t think it’s the “state of the game”, people have been bemoaning the quality of the game for literally 20 years.

I reckon it’s simply the after effects of the Covid year of 2020 where we watched more footy on tv than ever before and I dare say got used to it. And as someone else mentioned, Kayo at between $5-$20 a month means being able to watch every game is very affordable.
I said during the week this is relentless tuning up 8 weeks running, less port game. Bizarre given zero live games last year.

Sir

Tiger Superstar
Apr 23, 2004
Dear Gill the Dill, play us at the G and you will get a crowd...

P.S. you and your team are completely inept and are doing your best to destroy the game. Virtually every decision you make is wrong. I suggest trying a George Costanza and simply do the opposite to what you think..
I'm not sure it's that simple.......

I was there (MCG) for both Hawks and Swans (and then again at Demons) and (as others have suggeted):

a. It's simply too expensive
b. the ticketing is cumbersome (too hard to organsie with others)
c. far easier to go to Foxtel Pub and catch up with mates
d. the COVID melodrama has run it's course - stop using it as an excuse. The Emporer has no new clothes.

Reactions: 4 users

Sir

Tiger Superstar
Apr 23, 2004

I don't have children But I would think getting home after 11 is an issue. ( and a lot of children's football is early Sunday)

And I could get away with a few Friday night games but I am always reluctant to leave my wife at home on a Satrurday night... Even though I will watch it at home, not like I am devoting my evening to her ....Weird.

Though all those reasons applied in 2019'and prior seasons too. But I rarely miss a day game and Saturday night is my least preferred slot. (Except 3.30 Sunday)
Fair point,

I 'learnt' at the Demons game that my beloved rats (12 and 9) can't do night games :(

They might have survived if the game was close - but (in this case) they started falling asleep in the 3rd quarter......

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016

Well I stopped attending the football here in Perth well before COVID because just about every Richmond game here was a night game. Travelling home on public transport with a bunch of feral Weagles or Dorkers fans just wasn't worth the risk.
Plus the games are always televised live and I can save a fortune on beer.

Barkdog

Tiger Rookie
May 5, 2004
Bendigo
First game I've been to in ages, took my son (9) for the first time and my old man. Dont mind the Dump as it's convenient to Bendigo, apart from the fact that public transport from Benders to Melbourne is currently a typical government f'up. Buses and trains, what joy.
The game is actually expensive to attend for us. Three 'meals' cost about 40 odd bucks then an extra 20 for 2 what seemed like pot size beers made it exxie for me.
Sitting at Gisborne for half an hour at 11.30pm, then home at 1am is a tough gig as a parent.

Reactions: 9 users

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
I think the club (and the supporters) need to shutup about this. The club are just fueling Geelong with quotes to throw back at them the next time we're due to play them at Kardinia Park. We're being totally hypocritical when we expect them to play their home game at the G

Reactions: 3 users

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009

Yes! I have a massive issue with talking young kids to night games. At least at the G I can drive and they can get in their PJs in the car and sleep on the way home. Marvel night games on the train just don't happen for us

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I went thanks to Mr B, but I probably wouldn't have otherwise. I don't go there much (last time was the Swans game Conca did his ankle and Jack took 16 marks - what year was that?) but I don't mind it. It helps to have the best seats in the house, which we did last night - level 2 right on the wing. You feel very close to the game. And for me, transport is pretty easy. I caught a tram there and a train home - had to change at Flinders St but no Loop.

Dad used to take us to VFL Park quite a bit when we were kids. Living in the south-east it was a fair bit closer than the G, but getting out of that car park was a nightmare. I remember one day we flogged Hawthorn in the wet, my favourite player Disco had a day out and Dad made us leave 15 minutes early to save an hour getting out. He had to drag me out.

I think the number of night games has an effect. I'm not a big fan of Saturday night games - as someone else said other than the late Sunday game it's probably my least favourite timeslot. People have things on on Saturday nights.

I've been to six games this year - missed Port, Saints (cos Dump) and GoDeeth (outta town).

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne

Yea I do , Im seemingly Robinson crusoe that prefers day games these days . I don’t travel to marvel as parking options are limited , all too hard . Don’t mind the stadium once in there but it’s a pain to get there

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004

I’ve got kids but I normally leave them in the car with a sandwich.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The AFL won't survive without people.
Crowds won't ever go back to full capacity.
People are living on the edge.
Covid, loss of jobs, living expenses and now higher prices to go to the footy.
Even with capacities lifted to 75%/80% crowds are still very low.
Is it because people are scared of getting Covid or is the game been changed soooo much people don't like it anymore.
I've said many times, i would've walked away long ago, But because i waited almost 40 years to see us as become a really good team, i wasn't going to walk away now.

Isotopes

Tiger Rookie
Aug 3, 2013
Like others have hinted, not the venue that put me off going but the time.
Give me arvos and me and my boy are there.
TV ratings dont benefit me.

Isotopes

Tiger Rookie
Aug 3, 2013
Because i waited almost 40 years to see us as become a really good team, i wasn't going to walk away now.

Hahaha, i once told my hawthorn buddies I'll stop following once I saw us win just one... nah, too addictive.

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
i'll weigh in.
i have 3 kids, 12, 6, 5.

1. its just so much easier/enjoyable to grab a bottle of red or 6 pack and watch it at home with kids after dinner.

Dont have to worry about,
1. The drive
2. Dickheads
3. Toilets
4. Food
5. The carpark/or train station.
6. Kids home at midnight.

In saying that, i do enjoy going to around 2 games a year now. Used to be 10.

And to be honest, the umpiring really gets me these days.
When it does, i turn it off for 10 minutes and watch 2 or 3 races.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
ive only been to Telstra Dome once. VFL GF 2017

and I have no meaningful recollection.

because I drank 30 or so schooners with Taz, Spook, CC, Tot70, caesar, Oldy, snake amongst others?

Dyer'ere was shimmering somewhere too I think? like the Wizard of Oz.

but from the non-meaningful recollections I can piece together over occasional pre-dawn flashbacks,

its a kind of a Utopia; A dancehall built for $hai Boltons coming out.

Built for heady days.

last night didnt disappoint me.

I love the place I think? I think I had a couple of kids there too, from memory?

• Haha