Phantom Draft 2016 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Phantom Draft 2016

For Collingwood's next pick I select Sam Walker who is close to the best kick in the draft, this notable skill has translated to SANFL reserves level where his KE hasn't deviated one iota. At the state carnival he was rewarded with an AA guernsy and from my perspective, Walker has AFL written all over him, most likely as a rebounding defender. There's some chance Walker cuts it in the midfield but defensively he already has some significant scalps, notably he took the points against a rampaging Will Hayward in the u/18 grand final. I like this lad a lot and would even consider him at 31 if Ryan was off the board.

Pick 59. Sam Walker (Glenelg)
188cm, 82kg

With Witts sold off to the highest bidder I think the Pies need to think about bringing in a project ruck, for me the standout option is Tony Olango. Whilst his kicking needs a heap of work he's only played 18 games of AFL so the upside is significant. His pace is elite for a bigman and his agility & leap also make him a tantalising proposition. Having teased the masses in the All-Stars game with his athletic prowess I'm not willing to let the former Glasgow Rangers squad member slide any further as I suspect someone else will pounce.

Pick 60. Tony Olango (Northern Territory)
197cm, 87kg

The Blues continue to add run off half-back with one of the youngest kids in this year's draft pool, Tom Williamson. At 189cm and 78kg, he's already a good size and we expect him to grow nicely into his frame. He's a very good athlete, a good reader of the incoming ball and a polished left-foot kick. A bargain here.

Pick 61: Tom Williamson.

At pick 62, the Cats address their key position stocks with a player I expect to go a fair bit earlier on the night. He's a great size, with some reports that he's up to 198cm, but moves really well. He's a good athlete and a good kick but his hands are his real strength, both marking and ball use. Has a nice dose of aggression, which is important in a big man, and can play at either end and even pinch-hit in the ruck.

Pick 62: Elliott Himmelberg.

Pick 64 - Kym Lebois (North Adelaide)
175cm, 66 kg

Kym's got the bloodlines being the cousin of Alwyn Davey and also a relation of Gavin Wanganeen. Whilst he hasn't quite chalked up the stats of some of the other small forwards he's got the pace and smarts to develop into a very handy player at AFL level. The tank needs some work but his repeat sprint times were very impressive and he can kick some freakish goals when on song. As a drafting strategy the big hits usually come in the form of the small forwards when looking at the fourth round, Charlie Cameron being the most recent example. With a pick this late I think Lebois is a worthy bet and should give Daicos some stiff competition in the race for a senior berth.

bullus_hit said:
For Collingwood's next pick I select Sam Walker who is close to the best kick in the draft, this notable skill has translated to SANFL reserves level where his KE hasn't deviated one iota. At the state carnival he was rewarded with an AA guernsy and from my perspective, Walker has AFL written all over him, most likely as a rebounding defender. There's some chance Walker cuts it in the midfield but defensively he already has some significant scalps, notably he took the points against a rampaging Will Hayward in the u/18 grand final. I like this lad a lot and would even consider him at 31 if Ryan was off the board.

Pick 59. Sam Walker (Glenelg)
188cm, 82kg

With Witts sold off to the highest bidder I think the Pies need to think about bringing in a project ruck, for me the standout option is Tony Olango. Whilst his kicking needs a heap of work he's only played 18 games of AFL so the upside is significant. His pace is elite for a bigman and his agility & leap also make him a tantalising proposition. Having teased the masses in the All-Stars game with his athletic prowess I'm not willing to let the former Glasgow Rangers squad member slide any further as I suspect someone else will pounce.

Pick 60. Tony Olango (Northern Territory)
197cm, 87kg

Great Pickup, This kid really looks like he has a lot going for him
Most media outlets have him now at 201cm and has a 20mtr sprint time of 2.94 ( thats deledio fast) and good leap
also reports of a very good character

turk-d-tiger said:
Great Pickup, This kid really looks like he has a lot going for him
Most media outlets have him now at 201cm and has a 20mtr sprint time of 2.94 ( thats deledio fast) and good leap
also reports of a very good character

I've seen 201cm reported many times however Gus reckons he's a touch over 197cm. Doesn't really matter as his leap is very good, he was super impressive against Ratugolea & Lynch in the All-Stars game.

turk-d-tiger said:
Does GWS have anymore selections or is it now Cartoons pick

They now have 39 on the main list, it's Sammy's call. In the real deal I suspect they'll only use 6 selections and load up on rookies. This is where the salary cap issues come into play.

Blues take Ben Ronke, a contested ball winning, goal kicking speed machine who came on in leaps and bounds this year. Will start as a small forward.