Phantom Draft 2016 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Phantom Draft 2016

Ok, I'll take Collingwood in order to manage the Brown & Daicos bids.

SCOOP can take St Kilda.

Spook can take Geelong.

Turk can take Melbourne.

Let's go Scoop, the question on everyone's lips, McLuggage or McGrath?

Locked and loaded ready here with pick 2 :rofl

Listen I’ve spent my entire Saturday sorting in my head.

Not taking my boy Andy McGrath, the Canadian born, athletics champion, school captain who I’ve waxed lyrically about for a year just seems wrong. But I couldn’t go past Hugh McCluggage who has not done anything wrong at all. It’s an absolute line ball decision that I can’t lose on.

But... then I looked at the Bombers list. I think there is a bloke at Essendon who McCLuggage could easily become a carbon copy at worse or a better version of Zach Merrett. So you already have one of them.
And with Michael Hibberd moving on from the Bombers, the back 6 looks a little stale. Our old mate Matt Dea is in there, Mitch Brown and Michael Hartley. Yuck. Not much pace and flair. Tippa is there but I’m not convinced he’s a long termer. Yet.

So if both players are dead level but you have a glaring need, you fill that. I think long term Andy becomes a onballer ( averaged 32.3 disposals per game in 10 TAC 6.7 clearances a game.) and in the back half of this year he began to destroy teams as a onballer. There is not doubt that he will become a mid. Also captained Brighton Grammar and Vic Metro this year. Will be in the leadership group in no time flat. And will be able to play from Round 1. Maybe Hugh takes a bit longer.

Pick 1, Andy McGrath.

The Bombers take Andy McGrath.

With Selection 2 GWS Select
Hugh McCluggage

Team: North Ballarat Rebels
Height: 185
Weight: 75

Hugh is all class Makes footy look easy with his clean hands and balance a star in the making for us at The Giants we would have made a bid on someone but now Hugh is available we cant go past him at Pick 2

Brisbane thought long and hard about bidding on Jack Bowes here but in the end they are screaming out for pace and have little to gain by upsetting GC who have been willing trading partners in the Hanley transfer.

Therefore it comes down to Ben Ainsworth or Sam Petrevski-Seton. After Ainsworth's superb testing with his pace & agility being elite and a rapidly improving tank, the club has decided to lock in Ben given he's expressed a strong desire to play for the Lions. The go-home factor is a vexing issue which has decimated both Queensland clubs and every attempt needs to be made to avoid anymore defections. The other factor here has been Schache & Ainsworth partnership at junior level, both players have a unique understanding which bodes well for the future. Such bonds are also the key to player retention.

Pick 3 - Ben Ainsworth

SCOOP said:
Listen I’ve spent my entire Saturday sorting in my head.

Not taking my boy Andy McGrath, the Canadian born, athletics champion, school captain who I’ve waxed lyrically about for a year just seems wrong. But I couldn’t go past Hugh McCluggage who has not done anything wrong at all. It’s an absolute line ball decision that I can’t lose on.

But... then I looked at the Bombers list. I think there is a bloke at Essendon who McCLuggage could easily become a carbon copy at worse or a better version of Zach Merrett. So you already have one of them.
And with Michael Hibberd moving on from the Bombers, the back 6 looks a little stale. Our old mate Matt Dea is in there, Mitch Brown and Michael Hartley. Yuck. Not much pace and flair. Tippa is there but I’m not convinced he’s a long termer. Yet.

So if both players are dead level but you have a glaring need, you fill that. I think long term Andy becomes a onballer but for now, he is the rebounding defender that the Bombers desperately need. Can get some more mids later on.

Pick 1, Andy McGrath.

The Bombers take Andy McGrath.
Never in doubt.

bullus_hit said:
Brisbane thought long and hard about bidding on Jack Bowes here but in the end they are screaming out for pace and have little to gain by upsetting GC who have been willing trading partners in the Hanley transfer.
Collusion! BOOOOOOO!

spook said:
Never in doubt.

You reckon it's the right call? I'm absolutely 50/50.

The Hubbard thing swayed me. No rebound at all.

I reckon those two might be this generations Hodge/Judd debate.

SCOOP said:
You reckon it's the right call? I'm absolutely 50/50.

The Hubbard thing swayed me. No rebound at all.

I reckon those two might be this generations Hodge/Judd debate.
Knowing your love for McGrath, I was pretty sure you'd make it. I'm more positive about Tipa than you are. I think he's a long-termer.

I would have gone for McCluggage but I understand why you went for your boy.

Thank you Bullus for letting Bowes slip through and think it probably will be how it pans out in the real deal but will see i suppose

#4 Gold Coast suns - Will Brodie........... murray bushrangers

With recent departures of JOM & Prestia gold coast biggest needs is to fill the inside power midfield role and Brodie along with couple of others fill this role

thought deep and hard about Sam Petrevski-Seton but with all the players leaving thought he posed the highest go home factor between the 2 players

#4 Will Brodie

The Blues bid the *smile* out of Jack Bowes. Right-footed Simon Black.

Match away, turk.

spook said:
The Blues bid the *smile* out of Jack Bowes. Right-footed Simon Black.

Match away, turk.

Ha Ha Ha New that would come after i took your boy Brodie

#5 Gold Goast select Jack Bowes
Another Big Bodied inside mid that can go foward and kick Goals

# JACK BOWES

Well, turk(ey), you've fallen for our cunning plan, because the Blues rate Tim Taranto every bit as good as Hugh McCluggage. He doesn't have Hugh's pace but he more than compensates with his strong overhead marking, two-way relishing of laying tackles, and love of a goal or four. T-squared is a big game player who kept getting better the longer the season went, including a stellar TAC finals series and All Star game. Continues a long tradition at Brown Paper Bag Park of olive-skinned, dark-haired types with names ending in vowels. Basically, he was an offer we couldn't refuse.

Pick 6 - Timmy 'The Turk' Taranto

spook said:
Well, turk(ey), you've fallen for our cunning plan, because the Blues rate Tim Taranto every bit as good as Hugh McCluggage. He doesn't have Hugh's pace but he more than compensates with his strong overhead marking, two-way relishing of laying tackles, and love of a goal or four. T-squared is a big game player who kept getting better the longer the season went, including a stellar TAC finals series and All Star game. Continues a long tradition at Brown Paper Bag Park of olive-skinned, dark-haired types with names ending in vowels. Basically, he was an offer we couldn't refuse.

:hihi

spook said:
Continues a long tradition at Brown Paper Bag Park of olive-skinned, dark-haired types with names ending in vowels.

great line spook. will have the Anti-PC phantom draft police foaming at the bit.

spook said:

I think you may have outsmarted yourself there spook my dear friend, Taranto was never on our radar and we rated will brodie & jack bowes as the 2 best inside mids in the draft and toranto would have been an option at our #10 but only if another tall we want was not available. But i suppose you got the player carlton wanted but i cant understand why you wouldnt have bid on Will Setterfield ??

#8 Gold caste place a bid on Will Setterfield

Bid Matched With Pick 8 GWS Select Will Setterfield

Team: Sandringham Dragons
Height: 190
Weight: 79
DOB: 5/2/98

Will is a contested midfielder who can go forward and become a dangerous threat He is creative around the stoppages and uses the ball well

We Couldnt Let Will slip through to another Club will add to our beaming Midfield

Welcome Will to The Land Of The Giants