Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

TOT70 said:
Pretty much every player was taken a pick or two before someone else would have taken them. Essendon cut GWS's lunch by taking McGrath at pick 1 and it just kept happening all night.

Exactly. Pity the kid that Brisbane is the standout of the draft

Sintiger said:
Heard a story today about the Shai Bolton pick that I must make clear I have no idea if it is true or not. I was told by someone who I know who is pretty well connected at the Pies that they were very peeved when we picked him because they were going to pick him at 30. The story is that Balmey knew they were seriously into him and they are not happy with the big fella !!

There may have been a bit of pay back in the Kirby pick

Makes a good story even if it isn't true

I can confirm the Scum were definately going to pick him at 30. Their faces told it all. All looked like they'd just discovered a pube in their dinner. It was a sight to behold LOL at the Scum with their dud F/S picks and the new version of the bionic man.

TOT70 said:
Pretty much every player was taken a pick or two before someone else would have taken them. Essendon cut GWS's lunch by taking McGrath at pick 1 and it just kept happening all night.
:hihi

bullus_hit said:
I'm certain they would have been interested, many good judges had Bolton in the top 20. McClarty at pick 30? A fair reach in my opinion, I reckon the Hine Midas touch is fast evaporating, when he took Sier last year I was pretty gobsmacked.

Talking about Sier Bullus

I was speaking with a customer of mine last year before the 2015 draft and he mentioned that Collingwood had a player that they were going to take that they have been "hiding" by being in the ear of their coach and the player and just getting played accordingly just so they can monitor him without attracting too much interest

It went as far as to get him off the ground after minutes played and just played at certain games and player was also in on it and didnt perform when there was too many eyes at games - He was assured he would get selected

Even certain people that were arranged by collingwood would "train " with the player away from his club and do testing
after the draft he said to me they got their man, My customer is a member of their woodsman club and also very well connected at the club, We have known eachother for 20+ years and he has no idea i post on this or other forums

Also this year the Doggies were so convinced that they would take Long that they had a club representative on hand to get him in their kit to take pictures and video to get out to media asap and their 1st selection was meant to be Marshall ........ They missed both

turk-d-tiger said:
Talking about Sier Bullus

I was speaking with a customer of mine last year before the 2015 draft and he mentioned that Collingwood had a player that they were going to take that they have been "hiding" by being in the ear of their coach and the player and just getting played accordingly just so they can monitor him without attracting too much interest

It went as far as to get him off the ground after minutes played and just played at certain games and player was also in on it and didnt perform when there was too many eyes at games - He was assured he would get selected

Even certain people that were arranged by collingwood would "train " with the player away from his club and do testing
after the draft he said to me they got their man, My customer is a member of their woodsman club and also very well connected at the club, We have known eachother for 20+ years and he has no idea i post on this or other forums

Also this year the Doggies were so convinced that they would take Long that they had a club representative on hand to get him in their kit to take pictures and video to get out to media asap and their 1st selection was meant to be Marshall ........ They missed both

Interesting info, I think clubs can get too caught up in the 'hiding behind the trees' mentality. Holding kids back from competitive football is counterproductive in my opinion, apart from anything else it creates a silver spoon mentality. You could also argue that if his talent has been kept under wraps then a late pick would suffice. Hine and co. are effectively suggesting that he's a first round talent which is a massive leap of faith.

As for the Doggies missing out on Marshall, might be a blessing in disguise, a bit like Melbourne crowing about Scully & Trengove and then missing out on Martin. If given the choice I would take Tim English every day of the week. The big issue I see with Marshall is his competitiveness, whilst pick 16 isn't massive overs it's still risky considering he has never kicked more than 3 goals at any level. They did address their ruck depth with the recruitment of Ladhams so at least the list balance hasn't been compromised to any great degree.

jb03 said:
These sort of stories are as common as "can't believe he fell to that pick" sort of story. And really mean nothing at all.
it's just a story jb, not meant to mean anything in particular in relation to Shai Bolton

bullus_hit said:
I'm certain they would have been interested, many good judges had Bolton in the top 20. McClarty at pick 30? A fair reach in my opinion, I reckon the Hine Midas touch is fast evaporating, when he took Sier last year I was pretty gobsmacked.
Not sure if McClarty is any good or not but it's a great story for a young man to play with his cochlear implant. Wonderful Aussie invention of course

Sintiger said:
Not sure if McClarty is any good or not but it's a great story for a young man to play with his cochlear implant. Wonderful Aussie invention of course

Hear hear. ;D

King Kong said:
I can confirm the Scum were definately going to pick him at 30. Their faces told it all. All looked like they'd just discovered a pube in their dinner. It was a sight to behold LOL at the Scum with their dud F/S picks and the new version of the bionic man.

That will make it even sweeter when he grows into a star.

I sincerely hope KK makes it, but I suspect he wont.

Theres no way $hai should slip to page 2 right now.

with the footy season over, the Cox plate run and the Draft Done, $hai's all I got to mentally fend off Westfield Santa Hats and Schoolies on MDMA.

easy said:

with the footy season over, the Cox plate run and the Draft Done, $hai's all I got to mentally fend off Westfield Santa Hats and Schoolies on MDMA.

:hihi

I'd add a touch of Graham into the mix, I reckon the cards landed beautifully with the first two picks.

And next year...............I'm already getting excited about the prospect of two first rounders. :partyfest

easy said:

:rofl

easy said:

Hey your choice to live in paradise up north, do agree for a month a year it gets a touch ugly though, chin up, life aint meant to be a stroll in the park :hihi

easy said:

I take it you're ecstatic with the selection?

My son told me that Gary Buckenara claimed that Shai will be the best forward, not just small forward, from this draft. Did anyone else see the article?

I haven't seen it myself as it is paywalled, so my son could just be having me on.

gazza49 said:
My son told me that Gary Buckenara claimed that Shai will be the best forward, not just small forward, from this draft. Did anyone else see the article?

I haven't seen it myself as it is paywalled, so my son could just be having me on.
Your son is correct Gazza

Reactions: 1 user