Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

James

Tiger Rookie
Sep 11, 2016
Did someone go to him after halftime.
Didn’t notice him after half time
Both Bolton and Stack looked a bit jaded in the second half. Both scintillating but not quite as much. Maybe a rest for each over the coming two matches
Would love to see them signed before finals.
As per Dusty in 17!!

Reactions: 1 user

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Both Bolton and Stack looked a bit jaded in the second half. Both scintillating but not quite as much. Maybe a rest for each over the coming two matches
Would love to see them signed before finals.
As per Dusty in 17!!
Certainly wouldn’t be resting Bolton James, the more senior footy he plays the better, Syd may need a freshen up, maybe a few extra early nights may help

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Made the game look easy in the first half. Probably ran out of willie weeties a bit in the second half, but could also have been sat on a bit more closely. Still growing in all aspects of his footy so I'm just gunna kick back n enjoy the ride.

Reactions: 2 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Another selfish moment or two in front of goal. Dimma dropped him for 4 weeks last time he kept going for personal glory.

Did anyone else notice the look inside he gave before taking a snap from the boundary line in the first quarter? It almost looked like he was faking the look and had already decided to go for personal glory, but knew he needed to appear to be doing the team thing.

Whatever the case may be, Bolton’s spot in the team is not assured until he fully buys into playing team-first football. Understandable why a young player fighting for a contract might burn a few teammates though.

The perfect role model for Bolton to imitate is Dusty, who can be the game’s best individual player while still being incredibly selfless.

Be like Dusty, centre the ball.

Reactions: 1 users

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
Gee he’s good. Agree with calls to give Sydney and Shai a rest in the coming weeks. So important for our finals campaign

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Another selfish moment or two in front of goal. Dimma dropped him for 4 weeks last time he kept going for personal glory.

Did anyone else notice the look inside he gave before taking a snap from the boundary line in the first quarter? It almost looked like he was faking the look and had already decided to go for personal glory, but knew he needed to appear to be doing the team thing.

Whatever the case may be, Bolton’s spot in the team is not assured until he fully buys into playing team-first football. Understandable why a young player fighting for a contract might burn a few teammates though.

The perfect role model for Bolton to imitate is Dusty, who can be the game’s best individual player while still being incredibly selfless.

yeah, burned Cantstandya for a snap that I think he missed. He's star quality though.

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
In congestion, Shai is like a four-legged octopus.

When he has the ball, he can escape through any gap, and when an opponent has the ball, his four tentacles latch on and probe all available orifices in an attempt to disposess him.

Every team should have at least one cephalopod.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Elite decision making

Cantstandya's snaps and conversion is pretty good this year Ezy!

But to be fair watched it again, there were a bunch of pies lurking around so I can't blame Shai for taking the responsibility. In any case he's easily in our top 18 now and we have to re-sign him.

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
How many goals have we left on the table this year by going one too many handballs or unnecessary tap ons and trying to be unselfish etc. Obviously there is a line with it.. but I’m glad he backs himself and wants to kick the goal. Elite talent.

Reactions: 6 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

Don't buy the selfish argument at all. Stack has burnt more players than Shai in the last month, not complaining just stating fact.

And it is your opinion that he was dropped for being selfish, more likely to work on his midfield game which the way he is performing now at the top level would be a surprise to most.

Last edited:

Tygrys

Tiger Superstar
Apr 25, 2004
How many goals have we left on the table this year by going one too many handballs or unnecessary tap ons and trying to be unselfish etc. Obviously there is a line with it.. but I’m glad he backs himself and wants to kick the goal. Elite talent.

With an ounce of luck Bolton could have scored three goals in the first quarter alone. Already seen his unselfishness on display in previous matches. On a wet night I'm glad he was taking responsibility. Sign him up as soon as we can.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
With an ounce of luck Bolton could have scored three goals in the first quarter alone. Already seen his unselfishness on display in previous matches. On a wet night I'm glad he was taking responsibility. Sign him up as soon as we can.
Like last week 40 out streaming into goal dead in front chipped to Lynch almost but not quite alone in square & no goal, (probably right decision), but a little bit of selfishness from Shai would have made a certain goal.
And 2nd in the the tackle count this week with 7 sounds like he is buying in to me.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I don’t think kicking goals is selfish football, if your in the right position kick the goal, simple as that, if your not then try and get the footy to someone who’s in the right position. I’d rather a player who has the courage to take the responsibility of kicking the goal then somebody who takes the easy way out. Bottom line for me is it’s all about correct decision making

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Yep. Hopefully that's the 'we need to improve' part that Dimma cliches at the presser every week. I'm still more than glad we didn't muck around with fancy football on Friday.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Don't mind the likes of Shai n Stacka taking the game on and responsibility for kicking goals. There's plenty of times we get a bit too touchy feely n all trying to share in the moment then wind up over cooking the ball use. Miserable wet night is usually not conducive to oversharing n trying to be too cute. There always needs to be a balance between taking the game on and responsibility for your efforts and dishing off to someone with better time n space, it's a very fine line.
Last few weeks we've been doing an excellent job of bedding down our finals game style. We've been bringing the pressure n gang harassment, running n gunning with tap n handball, force feeding our key forwards n crumbers with some long bombs. Plus on Fri night we had a big enough lead by halfway of the last qtr that we could practice some rope a dope keeping off footy. Not a game plan that can be executed for ten to fifteen minutes at a time, but vital to be executed perfectly for two or three minutes late in qtrs or at the end of a close final.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Don't buy the selfish argument at all. Stack has burnt more players than Shai in the last month, not complaining just stating fact.

And it is your opinion that he was dropped for being selfish, more likely to work on his midfield game which the way he is performing now at the top level would be a surprise to most.
Fully agree on that , there’s a ton of moments in a game , to neg out on that is lame.