Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Very good news.

The knock on Shai up until the end of last season was his tank.
Credit to him he employed a personal running coach in the off season to improve his fitness.

Not quite there yet but most definitely headed in the right direction.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
They have Brad Lynch, who's played 9 games.

Not sure you can go with an attitude of "we need more Aboriginal players". Geelong, for all of the storied history with Polly Farmer, has had fewer Aboriginal players than the Dogs. 5 of the 15 are on the current list, plus Varcoe, Motlop & Christensen elsewhere.

Just five years back, Edwards was the only one on our list and questions were asked about Hardwick's capacity to manage Aboriginal players. Things can change quickly.

Who questioned Dimma's previous non-ability to manage indigenous players?, doubt there are any facts to back that up. He must be born again, billeting out his home to our young indigenous recruits.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Who questioned Dimma's previous non-ability to manage indigenous players?, doubt there are any facts to back that up. He must be born again, billeting out his home to our young indigenous recruits.
I think the only questions were associated with his application for the bombers position and not sure how founded they were.

Reactions: 1 user

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
Fantastic news.

His athleticism is off the charts and and at times moves like a cheetah when dancing around.

If he ends up putting it all together he’s going to be a ripper.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

It's been discussed on PRE in a more general context of our failure to develop Aboriginal players since Michael Mitchell. Footy folklore holds that an answer at the Essendon interview was one of the reasons he missed out on that job. (When asked how he thought Aboriginal players should be treated, he answered no different to any other player. Knights answered differently.)

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
From memory, it took Collingwood and Hawthorn a long time to embrace indig. footballers.

I could be wrong.

Probably right as I don't remember the Scum having many indigenous players compared to other teams in the past 30 years.

How strange when you consider their colours, black and white, would be a sign of unity.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Yep, Proud that the Tigers are so far advanced in indigenous inclusion, compare us to the Bulldogs:

Just listened to SEN, Gilbert McAdam, Bob Murphy saying it was a blight on the Bulldogs that they have no indigenous players on their list and have a poor history in this space. Not the first time I've heard this, think Caro last year said Bullies were that concerned that they embarked on an action plan to try and rectify and enlisted enlisted Brett Goodes to head things up. Below Age article how dire things are there.

We certainly hit the sweet spot with a mix of good luck and good management . Gill spoke of having seniors and juniors , we have that in sheds then Daniel , both great role models . The lads are really tight , not sure Stacky is as thick with them , nonetheless he looks to be really enjoying his time at tigerland

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Photo in this week's Footy Record

KK8j6Mu.jpg

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Yep, Proud that the Tigers are so far advanced in indigenous inclusion, compare us to the Bulldogs:

Just listened to SEN, Gilbert McAdam, Bob Murphy saying it was a blight on the Bulldogs that they have no indigenous players on their list and have a poor history in this space. Not the first time I've heard this, think Caro last year said Bullies were that concerned that they embarked on an action plan to try and rectify and enlisted enlisted Brett Goodes to head things up. Below Age article how dire things are there.

But don’t they have the highest recruit for Asian players?

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Probably right as I don't remember the Scum having many indigenous players compared to other teams in the past 30 years.

How strange when you consider their colours, black and white, would be a sign of unity.

“As long as they conduct themselves like white people, well, off the field, everyone will admire and respect … As long as they conduct themselves like human beings, they will be all right. That's the key.''

Quoting Collingwood president Allan McAlister.
(Not Eddie McQuire)

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Just ran into $hai's pop at southern cross.

Hes a pickett. Marlions uncle.

So $hai and Marlion are cuz's

Nice fella. Very proud as he should be.

His boys is a star life member premiership legend

And he's got his 21st birthday to look forward to as well

Reactions: 1 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Just ran into $hai's pop at southern cross.

Hes a pickett. Marlions uncle.

So $hai and Marlion are cuz's

Nice fella. Very proud as he should be.

His boys is a star life member premiership legend

And he's got his 21st birthday to look forward to as well

Easy to forget how young Shai is.
On another note is Stackman related to the Picketts or Bolton's?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Read the AFL player ratings and they rated him as poor, I think they gave him 5/10. I thought he was much better than that. Thought his pressure was excellent, and I thought when he had the ball, everything was class.

Reactions: 6 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Read the AFL player ratings and they rated him as poor, I think they gave him 5/10. I thought he was much better than that. Thought his pressure was excellent, and I thought when he had the ball, everything was class.
Probably rated better than most of the GeeWhizz team. Shai did some nice things but was also un sighted for periods of the game. Not all 22 players in a side will get a premium rating during games. Shai is still a kid learning his craft n I doubt he'll ever dominate a game, but he will have dominant n game changing moments in games n that's always premium.