Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
You could list Cyril Rioli's 30 disposal games on two hands. Probably one. Shai Bolton is not there and will not be paid $1m a season to accumulate. He is there to eff *smile* up.
Not even one finger, Cyril's most prolific game ever was 29 disposals (the equivalent to 60 disposals)

Reactions: 1 user

Pandaboy

Tiger Superstar
Mar 27, 2009
A forward pocket that pinch hits in the midfield does not deserve a million per year. As much as we all love the flashes of brilliance, I'd much rather see a consistent Shai having the tank to play more midfield time and getting to the 25+ disposal mark. Will never be a massive accumulator but the Dusty model of the time spent playing mid-forward should be what he should be aiming for.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I didn't say he isn't a star. I've been one of his biggest supporters. He's just not going to be worth $1m a year if he's playing forward pocket with stints in the midfield as he is now. If anyone thinks otherwise, all I can say is I'm glad you're not in charge of our contract negotiations and salary cap.
Didn't know your argument was based on the million dollar debate and i certainly haven't said that, as for only stints in the midfield a team high 5 clearances for Shai tonight, only reason he doesn't spend more time there is he is so good forward as well.

Reactions: 4 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Eliteness isn’t measured in disposals that’s nuffy talk , is Dunkley a better player than shai he gets it more ,,,it’s all about hurt factor

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Didn't know your argument was based on the million dollar debate and i certainly haven't said that, as for only stints in the midfield a team high 5 clearances for Shai tonight, only reason he doesn't spend more time there is he is so good forward as well.

I’m with you there Julius, I think the coaches need to keep tinkering with the mid / forward balance. I’ve also remembered that I think Burge said he was carrying a hip issue, maybe that’s why his minutes are being maanged?

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Don’t think there’s a more exciting player to watch in the game .

Would be very nice to have Dusty back to “ wax” with Bolton forward and midfield

Reactions: 5 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
A forward pocket that pinch hits in the midfield does not deserve a million per year. As much as we all love the flashes of brilliance, I'd much rather see a consistent Shai having the tank to play more midfield time and getting to the 25+ disposal mark. Will never be a massive accumulator but the Dusty model of the time spent playing mid-forward should be what he should be aiming for.
I think we would all love to see more midfield time out of Bolton but it's becoming clear he doesn't have the engine to do that. If he can consistently be as damaging as he was last night, I am very happy for him to play that role. He makes opposition backmen very nervous.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Don’t think there’s a more exciting player to watch in the game .

Would be very nice to have Dusty back to “ wax” with Bolton forward and midfield
I hopis Shai is talking to him about just that.
Adelaide would be a great place for him to resume.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Unique player , such a Pleasure to watch him play

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
The GOTY was a clone of Dusty’s last quarter gf goal vs the cats. Looked like the same pocket too.
Dustin's was a great goal but on his natural side. Bolton's on his opposite foot. Reminds me of a couple of Bartlett specials on the same side on his left. Outside of the high marking, Bolton has a lot of Bartlett about him.

Reactions: 2 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Unique. A joy to watch when he’s on song. High flier, burst of acceleration, side step evasiveness, clean hands, goal awareness.
A formidable skill set array with confidence to use them at the right time.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Is it? Or is it that we need his goals?
Both I'd say. There's been plenty of opportunity for midfield time when for example Dusty was playing but he doesn't seem to be given that predominant midfield role even when we're struggling in the midfield. I conclude that he must not quite have the engine for a permanent midfielder role. Just my opinion.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Unconditional love from me

When he gets it you just know the scoreboard is about to tick over one way or another

Reactions: 6 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Got me a gripe about Shai's game last night n it's been in his game since the start. Tends to get a little bit greedy sometimes n forgets he's got team mates around him.
Bloody brilliant young player, but I reckon he needs to get a smidgin of the Dusty share factor into his game at times. Dusty just as capable of kicking the breath taking near impossible goal but often there was the first peek to see if he could set up a team mate better.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Unconditional love from me

When he gets it you just know the scoreboard is about to tick over one way or another
Hes an absolute freak and a genius and I am sure the games will come where he just tears it apart, 6g etc, but they don't happen every week.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Yep I must admit that thought crossed my mind last night it was a very similar deal.

Great goal.

The lad is a star and along with Balta and Gibcus right now our 3 untouchables going forward.

Already graduated to our 3 best players along with Prestia, and our absent Tiger King, and in this side of recent years considering some of the Tiger greats he has now overtaken in the space of 2 years that's is no small achievement.

Hats off to Shai and kudos as he knuckled down and took his cuts early doors in 2018 when trying to establish himself, it has now elevated him to one of the most exciting players in the comp.

Thank God we took him the pick before the Maggots were going to.

mainlandy

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2004
Mont Albert
With most games these days are bore to watch, Shai is a breath of fresh air, so exciting to watch. The game desperately needs more Shias out there.
And he’s going to take mark of the year again, it’s coming

• Love
Reactions: 2 users