Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

First point of the game he burnt guys at the top of the square, in the first quarter alone there was another couple of occasions where he ignored first option to take them on himself, once dropped dead to rights holding the ball and cost us a goal the other way.

Don't get me wrong, he does some wonderfully creative things as well but the selfish stuff has always been part of his game and has never been addressed strongly enough.
Yeah right. Just have a lie down mate.
Your talking shitt.
Bolton is a star.

Reactions: 1 users
First point of the game he burnt guys at the top of the square, in the first quarter alone there was another couple of occasions where he ignored first option to take them on himself, once dropped dead to rights holding the ball and cost us a goal the other way.

Don't get me wrong, he does some wonderfully creative things as well but the selfish stuff has always been part of his game and has never been addressed strongly enough.
Ok, not going to deny that it could be an issue at times. But what I'll say is that Steph Curry is sometimes going to take some horrible 3 pointers during the course of a game, but you live with it because nobody else can shoot it like he does.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah right. Just have a lie down mate.
Your talking shitt.
Bolton is a star.

That makes me feel a bit better about it to be honest.

Ok, not going to deny that it could be an issue at times. But what I'll say is that Steph Curry is sometimes going to take some horrible 3 pointers during the course of a game, but you live with it because nobody else can shoot it like he does.

I think the very best AFL players care more about making their team mates better than they do themselves. Dustin was always looking to bring people into the game at his best, the great Geelong team of 2007 on had a goal assist contest and we were guilty of oversharing the football often from 17-20.

The common theme is they would rather win than be stars, I don't see Bolton with that mindset at the moment, which is why I think he is not achieving his potential.

I think the very best AFL players care more about making their team mates better than they do themselves. Dustin was always looking to bring people into the game at his best, the great Geelong team of 2007 on had a goal assist contest and we were guilty of oversharing the football often from 17-20.

The common theme is they would rather win than be stars, I don't see Bolton with that mindset at the moment, which is why I think he is not achieving his potential.
You obviously missed the pass to Hopper in the second quarter? Could have easily taken the hero shot at goal.
Don’t pick and choose when the narrative suits you.

Reactions: 5 users
W

Bolton is our most important and best player.

You obviously missed the pass to Hopper in the second quarter? Could have easily taken the hero shot at goal.

:unsure:

Bolton is our most important and best player.

Which is why we are where we are. Inconsistent and with huge fundamental flaws in our approach and execution.

Was that the HTB when Prestia handballed it to him when there was a Dogs player right on him??

If it was, IMO thats down to Prestia, doesn't matter if Shai called for it, Prestia needs to be responsible for his own disposal and that 1 (like many) should have been kicked forward. That was 1 of many turnovers that we made right on halfway that should have resulted in an inside 50 (and hopefully a shot at goal to us) but resulted in an inside 50 to them.

Think he needs to play in the centre more. We need his pace either as second touch away from the stoppage or pressuring oppo second touch. Hopper, Taranto and Prestia are good at getting that first touch but lack burst away speed for the crucial second touch.

Shai gets it right sometimes, but most times he doesn't in this regard. It's probably his biggest issue as a player, if he gets the balance of when to go n when to share right that's when he'll elevate from flaky genius to superstar.

Reactions: 2 users
Was that the HTB when Prestia handballed it to him when there was a Dogs player right on him??

Not sure, I'd have to look again but there were a few instances where he got the ball, ignored an option and tried to dodge only to be caught holding the ball or turn it over under the pressure he attracted.

Not sure, I'd have to look again but there were a few instances where he got the ball, ignored an option and tried to dodge only to be caught holding the ball or turn it over under the pressure he attracted.

I think we are talking the same instance of the HTB as he only had 1 free against in the 1st quarter. I put that 1 down to prestia at the ground but haven't watched the game back yet on TV. Was a silly handball to a player in a worse position. Making it worse I'm pretty sure it was a mark from Prestia so he had time to make a decision and made the wrong one.

What other examples did you have from the 1st quarter? He only had 3 disposals and 1 free against so not sure which examples you are thinking of as he didn't get anywhere near the footy in the 1st quarter.

I think we are talking the same instance of the HTB as he only had 1 free against in the 1st quarter. I put that 1 down to prestia at the ground but haven't watched the game back yet on TV. Was a silly handball to a player in a worse position. Making it worse I'm pretty sure it was a mark from Prestia so he had time to make a decision and made the wrong one.

What other examples did you have from the 1st quarter? He only had 3 disposals and 1 free against so not sure which examples you are thinking of as he didn't get anywhere near the footy in the 1st quarter.

Yep, it was the Prestia one, 6:10 to go in first quarter. You can see Sonsie running inside, instead of giving the handball, Bolton tries to slip the tackle and gets pinged. We were out ahead of the ball, it was a near certain goal if Sonsie got hold of it.

I watched the first quarter on double speed but couldn't find his third touch, the next one might have been in the second quarter. There was nothing as bad as the first two, but they were unforgivable just on their own.

I don’t mind Shai been hungry around goals and just playing on instinct, definitely be great if he could just make the right choice all the time :)) However nobody does and he seems to “stuff” it up a bit when trying to create for others.

I think I’m right saying he attended 10 centre bounces for 1 clearances with only 12 pressure acts , Id keep playing him as an old time permanent forward .

As exciting as he is , his overall output is far from the Super star we were hoping for , needs to rise to match the long term extension he got .

Historically some players need the hunger of looming contracts to perform. They need the pressure and desire the validation.
Others continue to push themselves to be the very best version they can possibly be. A healthy mix of ego and desire regardless of numbers on a piece of paper.
Which one are you Shai? This year will tell us a lot.

This description sounds like MJR. Yet most congratulate MJR for trying things and taking the game on.

I for one love him taking a ping at the goals (he is pretty good on the move, not so good from set shots). It drives me nuts how most of our players refuse to take the shot in the same situation and continually handball off like it’s a hot potato.

Not sure why some players get tagged as “selfish” while others get tagged as “creative”.

This description sounds like MJR. Yet most congratulate MJR for trying things and taking the game on.

I for one love him taking a ping at the goals (he is pretty good on the move, not so good from set shots). It drives me nuts how most of our players refuse to take the shot in the same situation and continually handball off like it’s a hot potato.

Not sure why some players get tagged as “selfish” while others get tagged as “creative”.

I've never seen MJR ignore options to take the game on. I've got no issue with Bolton taking it on, in fact I'm all for it but not when it means trying to kick a miracle goal while two guys are free at the top of the square, or trying to break tackles when a handball is on.

I've never seen MJR ignore options to take the game on. I've got no issue with Bolton taking it on, in fact I'm all for it but not when it means trying to kick a miracle goal while two guys are free at the top of the square, or trying to break tackles when a handball is on.

I must have missed you bagging out Bakes on this board since Saturday, as he did the exact same things you are banging on at Shai about. Almost identical, but actually worse.

You call out Boltons "selfishness" at receiving a handball from Prestia when he is about to be tackled and he tries to dodge and gets caught HTB, but when Baker did it in the 2nd, he received the handball in space, had Sonsie out wide where the next possession would have been an inside 50, Bakes not under the same pressure as Bolton, ignores the option and goes inside where he runs head first into another Dog and gets pinged. I love Bakes but that was a much decision than the 1 you are hanging Shai for. Where are your outlandish statements about dropping Bakes as well?

I must have missed you bagging out Bakes on this board since Saturday, as he did the exact same things you are banging on at Shai about. Almost identical, but actually worse.

You must have.

The selfishness was stark yesterday. Bolton started the game by burning a free teammate in the goal square and went on to commit a couple of the most self first acts you will ever see on an AFL ground in the first quarter alone. He did some nice things afterwards but he should be dropped from the side just based on that. He won't be because Hardwick is a player's coach and not a standard setter but he should be. Other selfish acts manifest in wanting to take the game on alone instead of using the first option. Baker, Pickett, Balta are all guilty of it, and it creeps in on some the young guys as well.

If they become repeat offenders I'll be calling for them to be dropped as well. Bolton is well past that point.

Poor fella had his premiership medals stolen from his home in December.

Hopefully he gets them back but also realises the stuff inside his head is worth much more than the medal.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users