Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Massive let down this year, although was better last night. Being paid like a superstar, so hopefully will start playing like one.

Reactions: 1 user

Timmy99

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 7, 2006
Canberra
My expectations for Shai were so high this year.

I bought into the hype of having Taranto, Hopper and Prestia feeding the ball out to him on the outside and Shai absolutely dominating.

Hasn’t panned out this way so far but not entirely his fall. The other mids need to play their roles a lot better for Shai to shine.

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Time to put his big boy pants on and play as a midfielder who rests fwd. 10 centre bounce attendances. Needs to be up around 18-20.

We need his pace and explosiveness on the ball.

Point of difference.

Reactions: 3 users

WildStyle

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2020
He's so good when he has the ball (other than the occasional wayward shot for goal), I just want him to find the ball more. I feel like him and Dusty are our 2 most explosive players out of the centre of the ground and we're letting teams off the hook by not playing them there.

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I want to know what his role actually is? Is he mostly a forward or can he transition to the middle?
He kicked some great goals yesterday but had one clearance & zero tackles for the match.
What does Shai want to be? Where is he utilised best?
You'd hope this was becoming apparent by now. It's not.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I might be a bit harsh, but looking at him hug his little one on Instagram more often worries me that he's concentrating too much on fatherhood than as a player. Hope I'm wrong.

• Dislike

MalenyTiger

Tiger Superstar
Jan 27, 2005
The zero tackles was the biggest concern from last night. I think he's slowly building into the season (not that we have that luxury) but I'm predicting that we will see steady improvement as the midfield issues get sorted.

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
Shai was outstanding yesterday

Back to his best, strapped us on his back and almost got the job done

Building into the season very nicely

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I want to know what his role actually is? Is he mostly a forward or can he transition to the middle?
He kicked some great goals yesterday but had one clearance & zero tackles for the match.
What does Shai want to be? Where is he utilised best?
You'd hope this was becoming apparent by now. It's not.
Just watched the 2nd quarter again on replay he can be all of the above, incredible quarter.

I do think though people expecting him to be consistently awesome like Dustin Martin are being unrealistic. We recruited an X factor small forward who has become more than most expected, capable of turning a game either forward or mid but will most likely always be in bursts, directly responsible for 5 of our goals yesterday.
Can someone give me an example of a fast twitch fibre footballer such as Shai that one could term as 'Mr Consistent'?, my point is I don't think there is one, very happy he is ours till 2028.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Just watched the 2nd quarter again on replay he can be all of the above, incredible quarter.

I do think though people expecting him to be consistently awesome like Dustin Martin are being unrealistic. We recruited an X factor small forward who has become more than most expected, capable of turning a game either forward or mid but will most likely always be in bursts, directly responsible for 5 of our goals yesterday.
Can someone give me an example of a twitch fibre footballer such as Shai that one could term as 'Mr Consistent'?, my point is I don't think there is one, very happy he is ours till 2028.
All fair mate. I gave him votes yesterday BTW. We have few who can turn the game like Shai. Probably need two of him.

WildStyle

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2020

Can someone give me an example of a fast twitch fibre footballer such as Shai that one could term as 'Mr Consistent'?, my point is I don't think there is one, very happy he is ours till 2028.
If he could just play every season like he did last year (except for the late season drop off) I'd be pretty happy. I'd say he was the most consistent he's ever been last season, and I think many were hoping he would continue that trajectory.

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
If he could just play every season like he did last year (except for the late season drop off) I'd be pretty happy. I'd say he was the most consistent he's ever been last season, and I think many were hoping he would continue that trajectory.
Rolls Royce being used as a Sunday drive. Get him in the middle

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I might be a bit harsh, but looking at him hug his little one on Instagram more often worries me that he's concentrating too much on fatherhood than as a player. Hope I'm wrong.

So you mean he has his priorities exactly right?

If we are a fair dinkum football club he will be dropped this week.

Committed some of the most selfish acts you will see on an AFL ground yesterday. If we accept that as a standard good luck with the development of our young blokes.

• Dislike
  • Angry

WildStyle

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2020
So you mean he has his priorities exactly right?

If we are a fair dinkum football club he will be dropped this week.

Committed some of the most selfish acts you will see on an AFL ground yesterday. If we accept that as a standard good luck with the development of our young blokes.
Care to elaborate on what these acts were?

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Care to elaborate on what these acts were?

First point of the game he burnt guys at the top of the square, in the first quarter alone there was another couple of occasions where he ignored first option to take them on himself, once dropped dead to rights holding the ball and cost us a goal the other way.

Don't get me wrong, he does some wonderfully creative things as well but the selfish stuff has always been part of his game and has never been addressed strongly enough.