Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
We need players who can rise to the occasion and do things other players can't, to get us over the line.
Clearly Dusty has been such a player. Patience is needed.

Just my opinion but both Shai and Noah are also such players.

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Have we had the best out of Bolton?
Peak Bolton?
Should we test the waters out West too see what he's worth pick wise?
Feels like he's going through the motions after 2 flags.
Does he need a new challenge to get the best out of himself?
And do we need to do it too revitalise our list?
24 year old unicorn. 1 of 1. I think we‘ve seen 70% peak Shai and we haven’t seen peak Shai for longer than two weeks.

I think his effort has been ok this year, his role is being redefined slightly.

Only a fool would cash out on Shai now, we have two pair kings & aces with the river card to be flipped. Hold, let’s see what happens. Either way we have a winning hand, how good it ends up is the question.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
We need players who can rise to the occasion and do things other players can't, to get us over the line.
Clearly Dusty has been such a player. Patience is needed.

Just my opinion but both Shai and Noah are also such players.
The Cummerbund has played barely a handful of games, patience and time are available. Also, while he's got some serious natural footy instincts I'm not to sure he's in the generational talent arena of the Dusty one and Shai.
Dusty has completely fulfilled and developed his talents and has proven over the years to be an elite of the game.
Shai while showing different abilities to Dusty is comparable in pure talent. As a 24 year old with almost 100 games under the belt one would be expecting a higher level of consistent performance yet is still just as patchy and flaky in games as he was in his first year or two. Massive gap in the level of his performances still, either breathtakingly good or frustratingly inept far to often.

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
24 year old unicorn. 1 of 1. I think we‘ve seen 70% peak Shai and we haven’t seen peak Shai for longer than two weeks.

I think his effort has been ok this year, his role is being redefined slightly.

Only a fool would cash out on Shai now, we have two pair kings & aces with the river card to be flipped. Hold, let’s see what happens. Either way we have a winning hand, how good it ends up is the question.
Think we've seen the best of Shai.
Has the skill but like other Premiership stars i think the hunger isn't there.
New surroundings.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
The Cummerbund has played barely a handful of games, patience and time are available. Also, while he's got some serious natural footy instincts I'm not to sure he's in the generational talent arena of the Dusty one and Shai.
Dusty has completely fulfilled and developed his talents and has proven over the years to be an elite of the game.
Shai while showing different abilities to Dusty is comparable in pure talent. As a 24 year old with almost 100 games under the belt one would be expecting a higher level of consistent performance yet is still just as patchy and flaky in games as he was in his first year or two. Massive gap in the level of his performances still, either breathtakingly good or frustratingly inept far to often.
I am not sure who it was but I suggested to someone, maybe furious, in 2019 that it was quite possible that Shai next to Dusty was our most likely to win a Norm Smith. An idea not so well received at that time.
Agree with you that he and of course Dusty have that level of ability.

Consistency looks to be an issue, but my sense is that his move to the midfield was necessary for greater team balance and will also assist him in that hff is a very difficult position to hit the play and collect possessions at each and every opportunity.
The position, to some extent at least, makes for the appearance of 'patchy'. Size and strength also a factor.

Shai is a midfielder.

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
I am not sure who it was but I suggested to someone, maybe furious, in 2019 that it was quite possible that Shai next to Dusty was our most likely to win a Norm Smith. An idea not so well received at that time.
Agree with you that he and of course Dusty have that level of ability.

Consistency looks to be an issue, but my sense is that his move to the midfield was necessary for greater team balance and will also assist him in that hff is a very difficult position to hit the play and collect possessions at each and every opportunity.
The position, to some extent at least, makes for the appearance of 'patchy'. Size and strength also a factor.

Shai is a midfielder.
Finally.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Have we had the best out of Bolton?
Peak Bolton?
Should we test the waters out West too see what he's worth pick wise?
Feels like he's going through the motions after 2 flags.
Does he need a new challenge to get the best out of himself?
And do we need to do it too revitalise our list?
The talk of trading him out is madness.

He's an A grader. You don't lose A graders. The only one on our list currently with the potential to play like a Dusty or an Ablett.

Yes, he needs to be better. He's been on my negatives list for two years. Frustrates me about as much as any player out there. Very one way, very inconsistent, very undisciplined.

But he's constantly developing. He was all highlights, now he's a little more blue collar. He's been given bigger roles, moved higher up the pecking order. And he still does the freaky four or five times a game.

As a 25 to 30 year old, he could be the best player in the league. We need to support and work to get him there, not let him do that for another club.

Reactions: 7 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Reckon Shai should be getting the 70 / 30 midfield forward split, similar to Dusty in all his pomp n glory, he's got enough talent. The thing that bothers me though is his failure to execute that final touch way to frequently.
Rocks up lookin like he's fangin a Lambo but way to often leaves ya with a couple of flat tyres n only a space saver spare.

• Haha

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Reckon Shai should be getting the 70 / 30 midfield forward split, similar to Dusty in all his pomp n glory, he's got enough talent. The thing that bothers me though is his failure to execute that final touch way to frequently.
Rocks up lookin like he's fangin a Lambo but way to often leaves ya with a couple of flat tyres n only a space saver spare.
Disagree.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Were you blokes at the ground today or what? If you were and failed to notice or acknowledge the amount of running Shai did today and the overlap he provided you have blinkers on.
I were not seeing someone that wasn't trying only someone that was trying to create.

Reactions: 13 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Were you blokes at the ground today or what? If you were and failed to notice or acknowledge the amount of running Shai did today and the overlap he provided you have blinkers on.
I were not seeing someone that wasn't trying only someone that was trying to create.

Agree. Shai put in his shift. No doubt.

If he could just take the first basic option (including having a shot for goal) when entering inside 50 it would help him and the team no end though.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
He was good. Can't blame him for the shitt others put in.
He tried.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I think Shai's actually going pretty well.
Just want him to get a bit more of the footy in the midfield.
I agree , however I see his level differently to most Tiger supporters.

Ive been a critic of his workrate , no doubt would have got a rocket of Dimma after the Sydney game , however I thought he’s workrate was good yesterday .

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I said 12 month ago, that while I would prefer him to stay, I think we’re gonna be overpaying him to keep him and should consider cashing in on Shai at the right price. I haven’t really budged on this. I hope we don’t regret this long term contract.

Shai has all the mercurial skills in the world but is not a match winner. He should have stepped up yesterday when we needed him. At 24, he needs to be more than "serviceable."