Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I said 12 month ago, that while I would prefer him to stay, I think we’re gonna be overpaying him to keep him and should consider cashing in on Shai at the right price. I haven’t really budged on this. I hope we don’t regret this long term contract.

Shai has all the mercurial skills in the world but is not a match winner. He should have stepped up yesterday when we needed him. At 24, he needs to be more than "serviceable."
What was the rumoured coin hes on Ian ?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Were you blokes at the ground today or what? If you were and failed to notice or acknowledge the amount of running Shai did today and the overlap he provided you have blinkers on.
I were not seeing someone that wasn't trying only someone that was trying to create.

I agree. I thought he was really solid yesterday (had him in my votes), so was wondering what I'd missed so was waiting to see the replay, but good to see others saw his game as I did.

Most of what we created (not a great deal) came through Shai.

Reactions: 2 users

Tiger Hammer

Tiger Cub
Apr 3, 2014
I agree. I thought he was really solid yesterday (had him in my votes), so was wondering what I'd missed so was waiting to see the replay, but good to see others saw his game as I did.

Most of what we created (not a great deal) came through Shai.
At the game, thought the same. Shai is not our problem.

Horrible game though :(

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Agree. Shai put in his shift. No doubt.

If he could just take the first basic option (including having a shot for goal) when entering inside 50 it would help him and the team no end though.
Yeh, it's like he doesn't know when to be selfish and when to involve teammates.

I thought he played too unselfishly yesterday, but he ran hard all day.

I also wish he was better at set shots. He is probably our worst, and it's a pretty big field.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Did u see $hai's reaction to the goal he kicked in the 3rd?
Was way down the other end to me.
(I was standing near the Ryan running goal end).
He kicked the goal and almost gestured to the crowd like he was saying why so quiet, fire up, get involved.
He was shocked by the crowd's apathy.
Me too.

We are content with our recent success and almost not sure how to react.
It's like we are getting used to being *smile* again.
Noticed just a level of apathy.
No boos (not calling for them BTW), not much joy after Goals, it was all very ho hum.
Just a really weird feeling.
Maybe the venue also had some say in that (as DavidSSS mentioned in the Game Day thread).

To me it felt like we can't be cross with the boys (YET) after the great joy they delivered us.
Although, that day is coming.

Maybe we're all just stunned at how quickly we have fallen off the cliff!

Reactions: 4 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
He kicked the goal and almost gestured to the crowd like he was saying why so quiet, fire up, get involved.
Me too.

No boos (not calling for them BTW), not much joy after Goals, it was all very ho hum.
Maybe the venue also had some say in that (as DavidSSS mentioned in the Game Day thread).

To me it felt like we can't be cross with the boys (YET) after the great joy they delivered us.

Yeah I noticed it all season. Really quiet crowd for us.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Me too.

I’m putting it down to us being shocked at how quickly we have hit bottom

Reactions: 2 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Me too.

I was at the game, and I blame the stadium.

It's a soulless vacuum of enthusiasm. I went with my wife, not a normal football attendee, and she summed the move from the beautiful bright autumn day outside into to the dank, concrete bunker as the feeling of descending into a dungeon.

Couple that with watching 2 goals scored in a half, and the crowd really had no ability to get into the game.

Even when Bolton scored the goal, the hope in the crowd had already died.

It never at any point felt like we could score freely, let alone win.

The only time I felt the crowd involved was that disgusting deliberate against Shorty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I made peace with this last year, then got false hopes with the new lads coming in.

But I made peace with it again before our latest calamity.

Tigers needed wins and good strong wins against the Goldens and Eagles back to back to re launch the season, but blew it.

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
Yeah I noticed it all season. Really quiet crowd for us.
Me too.

That’s because as supporters, we’re back to not being able to trust the team to deliver.

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
But in all honesty was there any player or highlights that deserved our manic response.
yep crowd was quiet, we did get a chant going in the last but it was put to bed very quickly when
we gave up a goal.
as I said in an earlier post we used to fun to watch when we went about our football.
not so much anymore
Falling Asleep Dr Steve Brule GIF

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
But in all honesty was there any player or highlights that deserved our manic response.
yep crowd was quiet, we did get a chant going in the last but it was put to bed very quickly when
we gave up a goal.
as I said in an earlier post we used to fun to watch when we went about our football.
not so much anymore
Falling Asleep Dr Steve Brule GIF
Overthinking things and instinct and joy the players once had, has been snuffed out.

Injuries have put us under tremendous pressure and our senior players can’t carry the amount of inexperience in our side.

Game plan = no idea what is or what the team stands for. If it’s circa 2017-2020 it doesn’t resemble anything like it. We don’t have the players to execute or the speed to play that style.

We have been tantalised here and there and we all think ‘we are back”.

The last two weeks have shown us where we sit in the scheme of things.

Our ladder is a reflection of that.

To an outsider it’s like the players have lost confidence in their abilities.

We will never know if Soldo goes back and kicks that goal that it might have ignited a fight back. I saw no one to him ( I think ) and tell him to take the shot. I think missing the earlier one gave him no confidence that he could kick the goal.

All that would have done ( IF we won ) was mask the problems Hardwick and co are facing.

davidc0055

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2011
It's great when Shai has the ball and is dodging and weaving, but to watch him jog through the centre when the opposition has the ball is so frustrating.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
It's great when Shai has the ball and is dodging and weaving, but to watch him jog through the centre when the opposition has the ball is so frustrating.
At least we can see he's thinking on what to do instead of blasting anywhere.