Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Just wish he wouldn’t mouth off at umpires (even though he was right tonight). He’ll give away 50 ever time. Just keep your mouth shut and play on. I think also, that oppo players know if they get him riled up, he will give away a free or 50.
Wilkie carried on at the umps for about 5 mins when he kicked straight to Baker (right up until he saw the replay on the scoreboard). No 50.

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users
Thought the composure with the wet ball and hit up big Benny Miller who kicked truly , showed the improvement in Bolton’s basics

Reactions: 8 users
Thought the composure with the wet ball and hit up big Benny Miller who kicked truly , showed the improvement in Bolton’s basics

Bobble head was alright, wasn't he ;) , (sorry folks, inside joke for Mr B only).

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Huge compliment from Ross the Boss to tag Bolton first when onball rather than the likes of Martin, Cotchin, & Taranto. Good luck keeping them all quiet.

Just wish he wouldn’t mouth off at umpires (even though he was right tonight). He’ll give away 50 ever time. Just keep your mouth shut and play on. I think also, that oppo players know if they get him riled up, he will give away a free or 50.
Once circumstances forced the umpire to give a 50 m penalty in our favour, it was only a matter of time till we gave one away. I was surprised we didn’t give away more, to be honest.

The whole 50 metre penalty thing has descended into high farce.

Players now step back from the mark before the umpire says ‘stand’ and then they can jump around (a bit, not too much). In most games, several players show dissent and eventually one is pinged. Sometimes, defenders hand the ball to the wrong player and it is OK but then, suddenly, it isn’t. What is play on to advantage and what isn’t? Sometimes it is ok to kick the ball forward when a teammate has just given a free kick away and sometimes it isn’t. Sometimes a player can look mystified and do something dumb but other times it attracts a 50.

The amount of energy wasted on these nonsense rules is staggering. The penalty should be reserved for late hits on a player who has just taken a mark, blatant time-wasting and acts that are not in the spirit of the game.

Having said that, Baker’s goal could easily have been a 50 in this alternate universe that the Tigers are trapped in but, luckily, the ump was too busy running around aimlessly trying to get in the way of the next kick and didn’t react in time.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Once circumstances forced the umpire to give a 50 m penalty in our favour, it was only a matter of time till we gave one away. I was surprised we didn’t give away more, to be honest.

Players now step back from the mark before the umpire says ‘stand’ and then they can jump around (a bit, not too much). In most games, several players show dissent and eventually one is pinged. Sometimes, defenders hand the ball to the wrong player and it is OK but then, suddenly, it isn’t. What is play on to advantage and what isn’t? Sometimes it is ok to kick the ball forward when a teammate has just given a free kick away and sometimes it isn’t. Sometimes a player can look mystified and do something dumb but other times it attracts a 50.

The amount of energy wasted on these nonsense rules is staggering. The penalty should be reserved for late hits on a player who has just taken a mark, blatant time-wasting and acts that are not in the spirit of the game.

Having said that, Baker’s goal could easily have been a 50 in this alternate universe that the Tigers are trapped in but, luckily, the ump was too busy running around aimlessly trying to get in the way of the next kick and didn’t react in time.
Did I just quote myself? I have no idea what just happened. I just wanted to fix a spelling mistake.

• Wow
  • Haha

Yep couldn’t agree more. The 50m penalty for not returning the ball to a player, or for mouthing off to the umpire or inside protected area or moving on the mark, in my view, are detracting from the actual game of football. Who wants to see a gf being decided by one of these 50m penalties. Even the game earlier this season was decided by an interchange infringement - totally detracted from what was otherwise a well fought out game.
And what happened to the “if you duck into a tackle it’s play on”- last night when Stocker ducked into one of our guys knees on purpose, he received a free kick. The umpires just keep falling for this tactic. I’m over it.

Reactions: 5 users
Bolton is our new best player IMO.

Our new Dusty.

And what happened to the “if you duck into a tackle it’s play on”- last night when Stocker ducked into one of our guys knees on purpose, he received a free kick. The umpires just keep falling for this tactic. I’m over it.

And if they raise an arm and/or lower themselves by bending at the knees like Joel Selwood (usually by eyeing the tackler and then leaning into him) it's supposed to be prior opportunity just like the don't argue, so anytime you see a player create high contact with this technique, it's supposed to be automatic no prior and therefore holding the ball - but the umpires always fall for it and award them a free kick for too high.

It's quite frustrating.

Shai doesn't need to duck though... he's the most evasive player in the game.

Reactions: 1 users

great post, my sentiments exactly. The back 5 metres is an abomination, ridiculous, when you stop and think about it, and watch the results, there is no clear way to adjudicate it.. When you put the different ways stand can pan out together with the different ways the back 5 metres can play out, anything can happen! A couple of times last night the ump yelled back 5 metres, then yelled stand! work that one out. They make *smile* on-the-hop rules then have to make on-the-hop patches to try and minimise the *smile* but it just makes it worse.

Reactions: 5 users
He is now class! doesn't need to prove anything to anybody. A lazy 3 goals in the wet and plenty of the play. Forward, back and centre, he is already starting to influence games.

Reactions: 3 users
One thing I noticed about Shai last night is that he doesn't have a lot of repeat efforts in him, particularly defensively.

Shai is having a career best season, so I don't want to be too critical despite his off game last week.

He certainly wasn't alone on that front & like Taranto was under significantly more attention without Dusty & Prestia going through there.

This week though his challenge is to bounce back & have a big influence against Sydney.

Really need his best if we're to get it done.

Reactions: 3 users