Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Carts, stop this nonsense. Shai and the club are committed to each other, long term. The absolute best we'd get for him in a trade would be three picks in the teens. Maximum. He's worth a top-3 pick and another first-rounder at least but you can't demand a top-3 pick from a team that doesn't have one.

He's our best player, contracted and has given every indication he wants to be a Tiger for life.

Liam Baker, on the other hand. You could almost get the same in trade for him as Shai. I know we love him and he's a little champ, but he only signed for two years last time and hasn't committed to the club beyond this year. The pull of home seems to be stronger for him. We're better off getting two teens picks for him (or say picks 15 and 25) than three for Shai.

Reactions: 4 users
Shai had a Dusty type buzz from the crowd on Sunday. The buzz was electric.

I've said it before, will kick 6 and have 25+ very soon.

Amazing fact, Shai has never kicked more than 4 goals in a game but has done it four times. But he has kicked 5 points three times.

Unicorn. Nothing like him. Long may he reign.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Carts, stop this nonsense. Shai and the club are committed to each other, long term. The absolute best we'd get for him in a trade would be three picks in the teens. Maximum. He's worth a top-3 pick and another first-rounder at least but you can't demand a top-3 pick from a team that doesn't have one.

He's our best player, contracted and has given every indication he wants to be a Tiger for life.

Liam Baker, on the other hand. You could almost get the same in trade for him as Shai. I know we love him and he's a little champ, but he only signed for two years last time and hasn't committed to the club beyond this year. The pull of home seems to be stronger for him. We're better off getting two teens picks for him (or say picks 15 and 25) than three for Shai.

it's purely theoretical at his point, absolutely spooker.

player and club appear committed to each other.

but you've been around footy for long enough to know how quickly things change, especially when the wacky season begins in November. the club is committed to Bolton until it isn't.

fact is, Hartley, Livingstone, Yze and Gale will meet at a local Richmond cafe after the last round is run and done to pore over our 3-20 season.

bolton is a superstar, but a superstar out of time, out of place. he is blue chip stock wasting away. why not make something out of him, something that means more for our list profile.

Its your choice Carts-
A)Trade Shai and pay Ross $800k for the next 4 years, or
B) keep Shai and pay Ross $200k for next year.

george orwell could not possibly conceive the dystopia outlined in scenario A

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
it's purely theoretical at his point, absolutely spooker.

player and club appear committed to each other.

but you've been around footy for long enough to know how quickly things change, especially when the wacky season begins in November. the club is committed to Bolton until it isn't.

fact is, Hartley, Livingstone, Yze and Gale will meet at a local Richmond cafe after the last round is run and done to pore over our 3-20 season.

bolton is a superstar, but a superstar out of time, out of place. he is blue chip stock wasting away. why not make something out of him, something that means more for our list profile.
You think we face the rest of Shai's career in the doldrums. I don't.

Reactions: 6 users
You do not trade out a player of Bolton's class. You build around him. Only viable reason for a trade is if Bolton wants to go to Perth ala Kelly

We can end up with 3 first round draft picks this year with careful trading. There are a number of clubs looking at father/sons and academy kids. Carlton for one needs picks.

If you need to trade out then need to find other options

Reactions: 3 users
let's put it this way -

trading Shai for two players who are 75% as effective as Shai (reasonable for first rounders) but will provide 12 years of service as opposed to 7 is a good deal for the club.

shai needs to be at a contending club, the market demands it.
Thats only if you get those picks right, odds are that wont happen.

We should be planning for another window while we have Shai at his peak. He turns 26 in December so that's another five years. That's an eternity in football.

September 2027 is 3.5 years from now. Let's have a look at the age profile of our current list by then:

34, almost 35 - Lynch
33 - Vlastuin, Nank
31 - Short
30 - The Prince and Hopper
29 - Taranto, Lefau, Bakes, Graham, Young (Shai a few months off 29)
28 - Miller (Balta almost)
27 - Ross, Mansell (*Tarryn Thomas*), Samson a few months off
26 - Dow, Cumbo and Coulthard
25 - Trezise, MoJu and Bauer
24 - Godcus, Brown, Juddy, Sonz, Banks
23 - Green (Smith, Seth a few months off) (*Cadman*)
22 - MC Fkn-A, Fawcett
21 - *Finn O'Sullivan, Sam Lalor, Taj Hotton*

Plenty of quality. Lots around Shai's age. Some holes to fill. We have Blair.

Hold. Go again.

• Love

How devoid my life would have been had I not had a blue chip stock wasting away from 1993 to 2009 that I couldn't wait to go and watch play the game for the not so mighty Tige's during that time, (Richo Richo Man).
I feel the same about Shai, I'll happily pay my entrance fee just to watch him play, and I will be thankful for it in our lean times.

Reactions: 13 users
We should be planning for another window while we have Shai at his peak. He turns 26 in December so that's another five years. That's an eternity in football.

September 2027 is 3.5 years from now. Let's have a look at the age profile of our current list by then:

34, almost 35 - Lynch
33 - Vlastuin, Nank
31 - Short
22 - MC Fkn-A, Fawcett

Hold. Go again.
Personally, as an almost eternal optimist, i reckon we are a fit and firing Tom Lynch away from being a side that can challenge now. (The Swans game is evidence- 1 game with a fit and firing Tom Lynch for 1 win against a team that is a contender)

And you left Dusty off the top of your list.

Reactions: 1 users

34, almost 35 - Lynch
33 - Vlastuin, Nank
31 - Short
22 - MC Fkn-A, Fawcett

Hold. Go again.

I totally agree with what you are saying. Carts / Baron's 2 personalities seem to have the belief that we have nothing and will be out of any sort of finals mix for the next 10 years, I'm with you, I'm a lot more glass half full than that. Shai is still only 25 and has plenty of footy left in him. If we don't challenge again whilst he is still playing footy then we've done something very wrong.

I look at those 26 and under currently and its better than most suggest (but with a massive void at FF). Only showing those that have debuted so far.

B Gibcus (21), Miller (24), Tresize (21)
HB Rioli (26), Brown (20), Baker (26)
C Banks (21), Taranto (26), RalphSmith (22)
HF Sonsie (21), Balta (24), Campbell (19)
F Mansell (23), ,,,,,,,, MRJ (21)
R Ryan (23), Bolton (25), Ross (23)
I/C Graham (26), Young (25), McAuliffe (19)

That has the startings of a decent team that needs some star power. If we get a top 5 pick, and look to trade with others into the top 10 or around about there. If Bakes wants to go home, then we can arrange for some teens picks there, maybe similar with Graham if he chooses to go home to SA as a FA, depending on salary we may get band 2 or 3 which will be similar picks anyway.

It won't take a lot for the above to turnaround and there are others that could come into that team. Juddy, Coulthard, Cumberland, Dow and Lefau are either good depth or possibly in that best 22 26 and under. Then theres the ones that haven't seen a debut yet, we know the club love Smith and were very complimentary when we signed Fawcett so who knows.

1 good draft / trade period could have a massive impact on where we are in 2 or 3 years time.

Yep, Shai ain't that old.

He was pick 28 but we lucked out, he's better than most first rounders ever will be. We could get two for him who won't be as good.

Given his age there is still time to build another flag team with him in it. I've seen some good signs with the young players so far this year.

No sale.

Reactions: 1 users
I totally agree with what you are saying. Carts / Baron's 2 personalities seem to have the belief that we have nothing and will be out of any sort of finals mix for the next 10 years, I'm with you, I'm a lot more glass half full than that. Shai is still only 25 and has plenty of footy left in him. If we don't challenge again whilst he is still playing footy then we've done something very wrong.

I look at those 26 and under currently and its better than most suggest (but with a massive void at FF). Only showing those that have debuted so far.

B Gibcus (21), Miller (24), Tresize (21)
HB Rioli (26), Brown (20), Baker (26)
C Banks (21), Taranto (26), RalphSmith (22)
HF Sonsie (21), Balta (24), Campbell (19)
F Mansell (23), ,,,,,,,, MRJ (21)
R Ryan (23), Bolton (25), Ross (23)
I/C Graham (26), Young (25), McAuliffe (19)

That has the startings of a decent team that needs some star power. If we get a top 5 pick, and look to trade with others into the top 10 or around about there. If Bakes wants to go home, then we can arrange for some teens picks there, maybe similar with Graham if he chooses to go home to SA as a FA, depending on salary we may get band 2 or 3 which will be similar picks anyway.

It won't take a lot for the above to turnaround and there are others that could come into that team. Juddy, Coulthard, Cumberland, Dow and Lefau are either good depth or possibly in that best 22 26 and under. Then theres the ones that haven't seen a debut yet, we know the club love Smith and were very complimentary when we signed Fawcett so who knows.

1 good draft / trade period could have a massive impact on where we are in 2 or 3 years time.
totally get what you're saying here but this team isn't good enough, not even with a top five pick added in.

we need to basically rebuild the midfield from the ground up - from the top of the draft - if we want to replicate the 2017-2020 midfield.

this scenario does not provide enough quality. premierships are hard to win.

34, almost 35 - Lynch
33 - Vlastuin, Nank
31 - Short
22 - MC Fkn-A, Fawcett

Hold. Go again.

like your analysis but "some holes to fill" and "we have blair" ain't gonna be enough.

that's not a premiership list as it stands. we need a drastic move to get the quality we need and at the right age.

We could get two for him who won't be as good.

no, chances are they won't be as good.

but two or even three players in the first round you'd expect to be match 75% of his output with a total of around fifteen years more football longevity.

i'd take that, it's a good net deal for us.

of course, the human / cultural side of trading Shai is not insignificant and I appreciate that also.

Reactions: 1 user