Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Our general calculations tend to err on the conservative side.

“nah he isn’t top ten in the comp”

“we’d never get two high first rounders”

But then situations arise quickly. A Fremantle. finding itself right on the edge of the top four and a home qualifying final in 2024, might cobble together the “farm” we would be asking for. For example. (they have the magpies first I believe)

We’ve seen it play out before.
Don’t be ridiculous. By the end of his career Shai will be compared with Dusty and rated top 2 in the last 70 years. And like Dust he will still be wearing our colours!

Reactions: 1 users
Him, Nank, Dusty and Miller kept us in with a chance from start to finish.
Glad to see u warming to Miller.
He has all the skills needed to make him great. And one or two other aspects of his game the main one being confidence, which will make his game roll up to significant.

Shai had more marks inside 50 than Lafau and Kozi combined and double overall, (9 to 4)

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Shai had more marks inside 50 than Lafau and Kozi combined and double overall, (9 to 4)

Amazing game. I'd love to see him play like that in a few finals. Hope he gets the chance.

Reactions: 1 user
Hopefully the AFL learns from this and we play at Adelaide Oval next year during this round; opposition supporters of any club will come to see Shai Bolton live, he's a freak and a drawcard.

Reactions: 4 users
combined sublime skills with real, genuine on-field leadership on Sunday.

keep that trend going, and he's reached an age where the club needs him to lead from the front, then I might even be tempted to pull him from my trade table.

probably not but I'd think about it.

after all Freo looks like it could finish top four and they'll have two first rounders. if anyone can cobble together a package suitable for Shai it's them. combine that with being a WA side and it's almost fated.

before folks come after me, consider that we are a chance of losing to WC this week. despite having one of the most dynamic players in the comp. wasted much? big perspectives required here

we need another haul of top end kids at the same age

• Dislike
$hai asked how he will manage to tackle harley reid?

'Just sort of duck under his arm i suppose'

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
combined sublime skills with real, genuine on-field leadership on Sunday.

keep that trend going, and he's reached an age where the club needs him to lead from the front, then I might even be tempted to pull him from my trade table.

probably not but I'd think about it.

after all Freo looks like it could finish top four and they'll have two first rounders. if anyone can cobble together a package suitable for Shai it's them. combine that with being a WA side and it's almost fated.

before folks come after me, consider that we are a chance of losing to WC this week. big perspectives required here
We'd be a bigger chance to lose without Shai.

As we would be in every game for the next 6 or 7 years.

We'd be a bigger chance to lose without Shai.

As we would be in every game for the next 6 or 7 years.

shai can win us games, agree.

but winning games should not be our current priority. development and strong draft position are the priorities.

you could easily mount a case that a richmond side that does not leverage maximum value for Shai at the draft will be in the wilderness for much longer than your 6-7 years.

the bounce from getting at least four picks from the first round this year would be less than 6-7 years, much less.

let's put it this way -

trading Shai for two players who are 75% as effective as Shai (reasonable for first rounders) but will provide 12 years of service as opposed to 7 is a good deal for the club.

shai needs to be at a contending club, the market demands it.

shai can win us games, agree.

but winning games should not be our current priority. development and strong draft position are the priorities.

you could easily mount a case that a richmond side that does not leverage maximum value for Shai at the draft will be in the wilderness for much longer than your 6-7 years.

the bounce from getting at least four picks from the first round this year would be less than 6-7 years, much less.
You can't get 4 picks for Shai.

I understand that you are suggesting he could contribute to an overall 4 picks in the first round, but that is a false equivalence.

Shai could probably get two first round picks (that's Gary Ablett jnr value). It is unlikely that two first round picks gives you what Shai gives you.

If you could have 4 first round picks, or Shai Bolton and two first round picks, you would be a lunatic to not choose the latter.

You take the sure thing. 6-7 years is an eternity in football. I know you don't, but some of us actually like the experience of going to the games to watch us play well and win.

I know you don't, but some of us actually like the experience of going to the games to watch us play well and win.

I like winning too burg, so much so I want more flags

you need another pick 2 (cotch), 3 (dusty), 9 (meatball) and so on to get them

Last edited:
You can't get 4 picks for Shai.

I understand that you are suggesting he could contribute to an overall 4 picks in the first round, but that is a false equivalence.

Shai could probably get two first round picks (that's Gary Ablett jnr value). It is unlikely that two first round picks gives you what Shai gives you.

If you could have 4 first round picks, or Shai Bolton and two first round picks, you would be a lunatic to not choose the latter.

You take the sure thing. 6-7 years is an eternity in football. I know you don't, but some of us actually like the experience of going to the games to watch us play well and win.
Moggies got 3 picks for Kelly n then swapped them out for Jizza. Shai's got either of them blokes covered, easy. At this point in time it's purely a thought process n discussion point so I'm happy enough to listen in n think about possibilities.

There's also another way to think about this situation. Consider the Dusty one as one of the best players of this generation. Superb player and absolute mega star during the finals. 3 Flags n 3 Normies but for all his talent, just how much might he have achieved in that time if he'd been playing for an Essendrugs, St Kiddenme or Frockers at the time?
The Tigers had the coach, the game system and a very bloody good team around him in their prime that simply allowed the Dusty one to be the passion fruit icing and cream on an excellent sponge cake.
We're not in that position at the moment and unlikely to be there again in the next few years, so if there's a mutually satisfactory solution that presents itself which would allow the club to set up the core of our team for the next ten or twelve years why not consider it?

Just on how many picks an established elite talent is worth. What were the draft pick offers going around for Horney Toad n Harley Davidson the last couple of years? Completely untried talented kids at senior AFL level and clubs were on a coke rush trying to get access to them. Trading a Bolton would be worth plenty to any club thinking they were in the contention zone over the next few years.

Chemotherapy can kill the patient too.

If Bolton goes we create a norf situation where we are paying Dow and Ross 850k+ to meet minimum salary cap.

Without the min salary cap rules going I just cant see scorched earth working well culturally.

The whole list gets out of market and resetting it pisses everyone off.

Reactions: 7 users