Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Just out of curiosity I had a butchers at the top 10 draft picks from 2020 then going back as far as 2008. Mainly focused on the obvious top 3 picks while also glancing at a few other names on each years selections.
There's not a lot of players in those top 3 picks that Shai wouldn't have covered for sheer all round ability and exciting watch ability. Even comparing the whole top ten from each of those years, there's probably a bare handful that would be consistently more solid and reliable players ( they're also a lot more vanilla ). Also only a bare minimum that could reach the levels of fan anticipation and breath taking HTF moments as Shai when they're on song.
Interesting to cogitate n discuss possible scenarios for trading n rebuilding the list regarding various players, but I'm thinking that maybe Shai's simply one of those few types of players left that you don't let go of purely because they are what footy's all about.

Reactions: 7 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
I would say we are 5 from 7 under 20. If you include pick 20, then its 5 from 8. Not as *smile* hot as you are painting it.

There is also a massive difference as to where those 1st rounders are, we would clearly need as a minimum a top 5 pick and then probably a later 1st for a player of Shais quality and I don't see anyone that will end up with a top 5 pick being willing to trade it, so the whole discussion IMO is pretty much moot anyway. We wouldn't get anywhere near enough quality back for him, it then becomes a massive risk. Look at how many failures that there are every year between 11 and 20.
If Collingwood splutters it’s way to 14th position or lower then it’s game on with Freo (at least as a viable option) otherwise you could be right.

And don’t underestimate the filth’s potential to tank. They are fully aware they need high quality youth to bounce.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
If Collingwood splutters it’s way to 14th position or lower then it’s game on with Freo (at least as a viable option) otherwise you could be right.

And don’t underestimate the filth’s potential to tank. They are fully aware they need high quality youth to bounce.

But even then it would be a pick around 7 or 8 and then a pick in the teens. Yes we might get players that play more games than Shai has left in him, but far below the quality he provides. I just don't see the value. We would need a top 5 probably a top 3 and then something else. There is no-one that ends up with those picks that will trade them. My most recent ladder predictor those 3 being West Coast, Hawthorn and us.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah it’s not a perfect record, my bad.

We’ve done better in the first round, particularly in the last decade, than many make out.

Higgins, Prestia, Gibcus, Brown.

We traded a first round pick out for Prestia which is the opposite of what you were arguing we should do.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
You obviously don't bother watching any Richmond games irritated insect. Not only does the Nankster ruck for us, but he also regularly wins clearances and lays tackles on oppo mids as well. The most effective mid we've got by a long way.

Sure, if you want to roll the following division into the midfield for some reason go for it, but that's not what anyone else here is talking about.

PS Nank was probably the best moneyball purchase we ever did.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Burg this is a ridiculous comment.
No, it's not, and it goes to the crux of the issue with selling the farm to play the draft.

Bolton is a sure thing. Draft picks aren't.

There will be a level of failure, regardless of your insight. There are too many intangibles. How much will a player mature, where will their motivations pay after a year, will they get on the gear, will they train hard enough, will they grow, prove injury prone, or are they already playing at their peak?

Plus, the recruiters can only recruit what's there.

That doesn't mean the draft isn't also important. But you have to look at what you're giving up to spin the wheel.

The best gambler is still gambling.

Reactions: 1 users

tired'lilah

Tiger Cub
Oct 23, 2023
Feel like we almost need a seperate thread, one for talking about Shai as the player and one for talking about the big Trade question

Reactions: 2 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Carter 3962 Win. Other 3899 win. Other to serve. Longine clock to slap MacBeth typing monkeys. Poetry imminent. In cosmic perspective.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
No way. This only happens if a player is overpaid. He's on big coin 'cos he's worth big coin.
I totally agree, snake, and he’s the last player I’d even consider trading. Just pointing out that one of the other pitfalls of trading an under contract player is that the other clubs can and will use that to leverage us and screw us over in a deal.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Carter 3962 Win. Other 3899 win. Other to serve. Longine clock to slap MacBeth typing monkeys. Poetry imminent. In cosmic perspective.
I’ve read this five times. My brain is pulsing but the strands of comprehension have failed.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Jack if I told you I see an electric snake

You would tell me to shoot it

That is why you are the GOAT

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
No, it's not, and it goes to the crux of the issue with selling the farm to play the draft.

Bolton is a sure thing. Draft picks aren't.

There will be a level of failure, regardless of your insight. There are too many intangibles. How much will a player mature, where will their motivations pay after a year, will they get on the gear, will they train hard enough, will they grow, prove injury prone, or are they already playing at their peak?

Plus, the recruiters can only recruit what's there.

That doesn't mean the draft isn't also important. But you have to look at what you're giving up to spin the wheel.

The best gambler is still gambling.

Here is a philosophical conundrum for you :

IF our list manager decides Bolton is not playing in our next premiership team, are we actually giving up anything of value in trading him to another club?

In this context, ANY ND pick we receive in return is better value because the player(s) MIGHT play in our next premiership.

If these players are Ben Lennon and Jarryd Oakley-Nicholls, we have still come out ahead because our ladder position over the next five years is lower than it would’ve been with our marquee player, thus providing us with more chances to find elite youngsters.

Innit?

Reactions: 1 user

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005

IF our list manager decides Bolton is not playing in our next premiership team, are we actually giving up anything of value in trading him to another club?

In this context, ANY ND pick we receive in return is better value because the player(s) MIGHT play in our next premiership.

If these players are Ben Lennon and Jarryd Oakley-Nicholls, we have still come out ahead because our ladder position over the next five years is lower than it would’ve been with our marquee player, thus providing us with more chances to find elite youngsters.

Innit?
If only we had a delorian. And a butterfly.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Innit?

So your philosophical question is, if we trade Bolton out, screw those draft picks up by picking duds, then it doesn't matter, we still win out in the trade because we remain down the bottom for longer and get more chances at the best draft picks? Am I reading that right?