Pick 33 Discussion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 33 Discussion

bullus_hit said:
Lamb I put in the Spencer White category, he was also an uncut diamond with extreme athletic abilites. White went at 25 in his draft year, I expect Lamb to be in that ballpark. I did happen to see White's two games this year and he looks to be progressing really well, he still has some way to go but the talent is clearly evident. The other issue with Lamb will be containing his extroverted nature, both he and Reece McKenzie come with several buyer beware clauses, in Lamb's case it may see him drift out into the thirties. Both players have been labeled as somewhat rebellious so will need very strong cultural boundaries. I have heard St Kilda & Essendon are keen, I don't like either of the clubs as being a good fit. Lamb needs Geelong or Hawthorn to make a play, even Richmond could get the best out of him.
reckon Choco could take care of him.

SCOOP said:
If we have a no DH policy, Lamb is a no go.

I suspect he won't be picked by Richmond unless all our preferred options are off the table. With Boekhorst tipped to go at 28, Webb at 27 and Cavka at 30 there will be some quality footballers available at our pick. I have a feeling we're a strong chance for Miller provided the Hawks select Vickers-Willis, that would be a great outcome.

Here's my predictions for the second round, I'm feeling pretty comfortable about getting a quality player.

20. Essendon - Connor Blakely
21. St Kilda - Alex Neal-Bullen
22. St Kilda - Reece McKenzie
23. GWS - Corey Ellis
24. GWS - Jack Steele
25. North Melbourne - Connor Menadue
26. Doggies - Daniel McKenzie
27. Doggies - Lukas Webb
28. Carlton - Blaine Boekhorst
29. Gold Coast - Brayden Maynard
30. Collingwood - Damien Cavka
31. Hawthorn - Ed Vickers-Willis
32. West Coast - Oscar McDonald
33. Richmond - ?? A few good options on the board here, Miller, Gore and Lamb if we're feeling brave.

Miller and Gore. No need being too cute here at all with speculatives like Lamb.

If Hawthorn pass, I'd really like Miller. If he was over 180cm, I reckon he'd be a top 15 pick.

Smoking Aces said:
Miller and Gore. No need being too cute here at all with speculatives like Lamb.

This. ALWAYS THIS. And this is where most of my questions around Cocky lay.

SCOOP said:
This. ALWAYS THIS. And this is where most of mu questions around Cocky lay.

I would take Miller in that scenario, I like Gore but Miller has more runs on the board, his DE is also far superior to Gore.

As for Cocky, he's more speculative than Weller but not as mysterious as the media are making out. He participated in 5 games last year so there's plenty of footage in the archives. For the record his averages were 13.2 disposals, 8.4 contested, 3 clearances & 5.9 tackles. He was nominated as BOG against Queensland and third best against NSW/ACT.

In saying that I would still be stoked with Weller, to me he's completely bankable and will inject some much needed pace. A Weller/Miller combination would be textbook recruiting, I've got my fingers & toes crossed on that one. Jaden McGrath would be the cherry on top.

bullus_hit said:
In saying that I would still be stoked with Weller, to me he's completely bankable and will inject some much needed pace. A Weller/Miller combination would be textbook recruiting, I've got my fingers & toes crossed on that one. Jaden McGrath would be the cherry on top.

I'll take Weller and Miller/Webb/Gore. I'd can hope Webb or Gore is at 52 but I doubt it.

SCOOP said:
I'll take Weller and Miller/Webb/Gore. I'd can hope Webb or Gore is at 52 but I doubt it.

The Doggies have interviewed both those players, I'd say the chances of one sliding is close to zero. Their position is enviable, 5 picks in the top 46.

bullus_hit said:
The Doggies have interviewed both those players, I'd say the chances of one sliding is close to zero. Their position is enviable, 5 picks in the top 46.

This is the perfect draft to have that. Getting pick 37 for Cooney was a steal.

Getting Boyd and Bonti from last years draft, plus five picks in the first 46 has been a masterful offseason for the Dogs. Even getting Beveridge looks smart. For what happened, they've come out ok.

bullus_hit said:
I would take Miller in that scenario, I like Gore but Miller has more runs on the board, his DE is also far superior to Gore.

As for Cocky, he's more speculative than Weller but not as mysterious as the media are making out. He participated in 5 games last year so there's plenty of footage in the archives. For the record his averages were 13.2 disposals, 8.4 contested, 3 clearances & 5.9 tackles. He was nominated as BOG against Queensland and third best against NSW/ACT.

But does he have the football IQ?

From limited footage I have seen, I would say no. His highlights look great but most possessions he gives off to a teammate is like he is playing hot potato.

SCOOP said:
This is the perfect draft to have that. Getting pick 37 for Cooney was a steal.

Getting Boyd and Bonti from last years draft, plus five picks in the first 46 has been a masterful offseason for the Dogs. Even getting Beveridge looks smart. For what happened, they've come out ok.

On top of that they won't be hard pressed for key position players, they can scoop up all the midfielders and perhaps one key position defender. Everything is set for them to pull off a Port style rebuild, I would be feeling very comfortable if I was Luke Beveridge.

Smoking Aces said:
But does he have the football IQ?

From limited footage I have seen, I would say no. His highlights look great but most possessions he gives off to a teammate is like he is playing hot potato.

Are we talking Cocky or Miller?

Smoking Aces said:

Agree totally. For a highlights reel his disposal and decision-making is poor and he looks very rushed to me. If he looks rushed at that level then he's going to get the fright of his life at AFL level. I really can't see us picking Cocky if Weller and a couple of others are available. The perfect sort of choice if you had a couple of high draft picks but we need to get just one Pick in the top 30 right even if the x factor isn't there.

tigerlove said:
Agree totally. For a highlights reel his disposal and decision-making is poor and he looks very rushed to me. If he looks rushed at that level then he's going to get the fright of his life at AFL level. I really can't see us picking Cocky if Weller and a couple of others are available. The perfect sort of choice if you had a couple of high draft picks but we need to get just one Pick in the top 30 right even if the x factor isn't there.

Over the course of his 6 matches his DE has been around the 60% mark, not great but not too bad considering the high volume of contested possessions he wins. The reason I'm so bullish on Cocky is the fact that Dangerfield had very similar stats in his junior years. His kicking was far from the finished product and he wasn't necessarily a high production player. The common feature both these players share is the ability to kick into second gear, they can burn off the opposition and really mess with the zonal defences. Danger is seen as one of the best players in the competition despite the fact his kicking can be erratic, but more often than not he creates a chaos ball scenario that often results in a 50/50 contest.

With the right support I think Cockatoo will be able to account for any kicking limitations that he may possess. Technically speaking there's nothing wrong with his action, he's smooth in his delivery and can easily switch to his left. If there's any criticism to be made it's that he can try to do too much. This in part is due to being surrounded by limited footballers but also it's in his nature to take the game on. I wouldn't want to curtail his natural flair if I was coach, I would aim to get him playing the percentages more often but would never discourage him from breaking the lines.

bullus_hit said:
Over the course of his 6 matches his DE has been around the 60% mark, not great but not too bad considering the high volume of contested possessions he wins. The reason I'm so bullish on Cocky is the fact that Dangerfield had very similar stats in his junior years. His kicking was far from the finished product and he wasn't necessarily a high production player. The common feature both these players share is the ability to kick into second gear, they can burn off the opposition and really mess with the zonal defences. Danger is seen as one of the best players in the competition despite the fact his kicking can be erratic, but more often than not he creates a chaos ball scenario that often results in a 50/50 contest.

With the right support I think Cockatoo will be able to account for any kicking limitations that he may possess. Technically speaking there's nothing wrong with his action, he's smooth in his delivery and can easily switch to his left. If there's any criticism to be made it's that he can try to do too much. This in part is due to being surrounded by limited footballers but also it's in his nature to take the game on. I wouldn't want to curtail his natural flair if I was coach, I would aim to get him playing the percentages more often but would never discourage him from breaking the lines.

There are so many similarities with a junior Dangerfield, From memory i believe Danger was also a bottom age kid when drafted, I cant really see the decision making issue to be honest, When you are playing at 100 miles an hour and rounded by players that are limited your options are not always as clear and it effects your decision

What people are totally ignoring is Cockatoo's ability to go inside and extract the ball from situations where others tend to lay back and wait, His best is amazing and his ability to read the ball combined with his pace & Leap is whats a standout and add so much doubt into the minds of the opposition clubs and creates doubt about their decisions when he is in proximity

Whats your opinion on Maynard if he was available at #33 would you take him before Miller

I like Maynard, he's quick & has solid efficiency both by hand & foot. At this stage he's likely to start as a flanker but could feasibly move to the midfield as he builds his tank. I definitely have him on the shortlist and would take him ahead of Miller, although I suspect he will be gone by our selection.

bullus_hit said:
I like Maynard, he's quick & has solid efficiency both by hand & foot. At this stage he's likely to start as a flanker but could feasibly move to the midfield as he builds his tank. I definitely have him on the shortlist and would take him ahead of Miller, although I suspect he will be gone by our selection.

There will be a list of quality players available at #33 and looking down the players available even at #52 we might just score a 'Bargain' like Gore perhaps
could you just imagine a haul of Weller,Maynard,Gore,Rose would just about tick all boxes

turk-d-tiger said:
There will be a list of quality players available at #33 and looking down the players available even at #52 we might just score a 'Bargain' like Gore perhaps
could you just imagine a haul of Weller,Maynard,Gore,Rose would just about tick all boxes

I doubt Gore will last until pick 52, he's in the sights of the Doggies so will be taken with pick 39,45 or 46. I've mentioned his name numerous times but it's Jaden McGrath who represents great value at 52. He's been dogged by injury all year and has gone under the radar a bit but he's all class. If he has successfully passed his medical checks then I would have no hesitation in calling out his name at 52. His performance in the AIS versus Collingwood game was first class, he was outshone by Brayshaw but was my clear second best on ground. Port are very interested too, they will surely call his name with a late pick.

Rose would be a strong consideration, Lonie another who appeals. I also like Saad, McGuiness & Bampton this late in the draft.