Pick 53: Jack Graham | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 53: Jack Graham

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
Breaking news little Zipmanics
He isn't the only big name we have asked to explore there options .
we were never going to go into 2 seasons without bringing in kids
And No the Big name isn't Collier Dawkins or Dow
Talk to us big fella? We're amongst friends. I'll take stab - Broad/Ross/Short/Mc intosh/Pickett

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Just reading the afl trade news this morning, all they do is create a new headline and a few new words, the rest from previous days and you have a page of news in their website. Reporting must be fun and takes little of your time.

Reactions: 1 users

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Breaking news little Zipmanics
He isn't the only big name we have asked to explore there options .
we were never going to go into 2 seasons without bringing in kids
And No the Big name isn't Collier Dawkins or Dow
I’ll narrow it down
Some of the biggest names are Riewoldt Castagna both 8 letters Nankervis with 9
But the biggest names are Cumberland and Ralphsmith both 10 letters
Going by that logic I’d say Ralphsmith is the one to be traded ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
Would always expect Graham, if fit, to be in our best 22 because I just don't see the rest of our 2023 mids all being fit at the same time. Who knows who will be gone for 2024 so if he wants to stay there is room. Now for RCD its a very different story.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
You do have to give a bit to get a bit.
The difficulty is that the Richmond boys are so tight with each other and each important to the fabric of the club in their own way.
Shorty a case in point. Hugely popular, energetic and culture driver. But expendable out on the ground.
Graham similar. So on and so on.
Geelong survived and actually thrived when they lost Kelly.
Cut throat business.

Reactions: 2 users

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Wont be a popular opinion but Id trade him without a care. He is the perfect player with currency and we need to improve our list to get back to where we want to be. Graham is a fine runner but he fumbles too much and can wear concrete boots at times. Graham peaked in 2017 Grand Final and he aint getting better. Get it done.

Reactions: 7 users

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
I think ‘the game‘ has passed a few of us by (I put myself in that bucket)
Evaluating players like Graham (and Short for that matter) based purely on their individual traits in isolation doesn‘t take into account their importance to ‘the way we play’. Not that I think stats provide all the answers in and of themselves, although key indicators still provide a great snapshot if we’re on track or not. Eg, Graham’s pressure acts, Short’s metres gained (Short’s pinpoint passing to the exact position of threat just after Graham forced the turn over at the right time in the correct location).

A coachable player that does what he’s instructed to do and plays his role to a high degree of consistency (as opposed to being consistent from an individual perceived form perspective) is the type of player required.
I value him. I also value Short when the whole team are playing their roles well.

Reactions: 10 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
It makes no real sense to me that we would bring in Hopper and move out Graham. I don't see a huge uptick in skill and productivity if we were to do that, and it weakens the overall midfield strength that we would gain from adding two quality players to a mix that is somewhat threadbare right now.

I would be shocked if Graham is in the mix for a trade unless he has expressed a desire to explore his options and one of the Adelaide clubs has indicated it will pay handsomely for his services.

Remember, we've lost Edwards, Caddy and Parker as depth already this season. Cotchin likely in his last year. Recent injuries to Hopper and Taranto suggest we can't expect 22 games from either next season.

Graham is an incredibly valuable commodity at RFC. It would surely take a Godfather offer for the player and our club to even consider him moving out.

Reactions: 8 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I like Fridge but he is never going to be a superstar and to be honest has been average the last couple of years. Ross may even have moved ahead of him or at least along side.
If we had the opportunity to trade him for a pick around 20 and used his salary to bring in Bowes and pick 7 from the Suns I would do it. Pick 7, 20ish and Bowes for Graham .....where do I sign?

mjb

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2007
You do have to give a bit to get a bit.
The difficulty is that the Richmond boys are so tight with each other and each important to the fabric of the club in their own way.
Shorty a case in point. Hugely popular, energetic and culture driver. But expendable out on the ground.
Graham similar. So on and so on.
Geelong survived and actually thrived when they lost Kelly.
Cut throat business.
True, but Kelly wasn’t “fabric”

TigerWinner

Tiger Rookie
Apr 21, 2022
I love Fridge. will never forget the 2017 GF or the 2019 PF. He plays on heart.

I would trade him if the right deal came along. Not because he is bad but he may be better suited at another club. He may not be guaranteed to play every game if fit. it could be as simple as that.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
I like Fridge but he is never going to be a superstar and to be honest has been average the last couple of years. Ross may even have moved ahead of him or at least along side.
If we had the opportunity to trade him for a pick around 20 and used his salary to bring in Bowes and pick 7 from the Suns I would do it. Pick 7, 20ish and Bowes for Graham .....where do I sign?
He was runners up in the B&F last year, I think this is a hasty & reactive move. Unless we get extra currency I cannot see any point trading him, Hopper is a similar type, albeit with a few extra runs on the board.

Reactions: 8 users

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
I think ‘the game‘ has passed a few of us by (I put myself in that bucket)
Evaluating players like Graham (and Short for that matter) based purely on their individual traits in isolation doesn‘t take into account their importance to ‘the way we play’. Not that I think stats provide all the answers in and of themselves, although key indicators still provide a great snapshot if we’re on track or not. Eg, Graham’s pressure acts, Short’s metres gained (Short’s pinpoint passing to the exact position of threat just after Graham forced the turn over at the right time in the correct location).

A coachable player that does what he’s instructed to do and plays his role to a high degree of consistency (as opposed to being consistent from an individual perceived form perspective) is the type of player required.
I value him. I also value Short when the whole team are playing their roles well.
Dont disagree re the need for role players but i see Ross taking the step up in the next few years and i see him as an upgrade to Graham. Short has just been terrible for almost 2 years now. Most of his metres gained have no real hurt factor and he is now becoming a complete liability without the ball and a lot of times even with it.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
He was runners up in the B&F last year, I think this is a hasty & reactive move. Unless we get extra currency I cannot see any point trading him, Hopper is a similar type, albeit with a few extra runs on the board.
Personal view but Hopper is next level to Graham as a player.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I heard that it will take a big offer to tempt him.

Likely he stays at Richmond, unless we are going to try and do the Bowes + pick 7 for cap space trade that Gold Coast are reportedly offering around.

Reactions: 1 user

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
I heard that it will take a big offer to tempt him.

Likely he stays at Richmond, unless we are going to try and do the Bowes + pick 7 for cap space trade that Gold Coast are reportedly offering around.
So Gold Coast are offering pick 7? That is one helluva salary cap dump. What's the catch here?