Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
2020 Finals - Ben Miller is the name on every student's lips. He was named by Dimma in the lead up and during the finals as a possible starter.

Why? I still don't know exactly.

Let's go back in time. To Mabior Chol. For so many years we watched him in the reserves, running under the ball, sometimes away from it, or occasionally at it and knocking two blokes over to level a glamour left-foot goal. He was hard to follow but he did light up.

2018-9. God only invented bushels so Ben Miller would have a place to hide his light.

Ben Miller was absent for most of the games he and I attended. I'm not saying I had more impact. Maybe I had a bit less but I had to pay to get in. And in my defence I'd been drinking.

But Ben Miler was 18-20yo. And very raw. He was entitled to the freebies. And he got em.

Athletically, Ben Miller is a bit like Alex Rance. Not a leaper but strong through the core. Low centre of gravity. Very good gait. Orthodox attack on the ball. Can hold position in contests.

He's a phenomenal athlete. 2.86/20m? This is blistering. It's Cotchin. A metre quicker than Rance. Fine skills. Scanlans class technique.

Ben Miller? In line for finals selection? The raw material was there. But none of us got to see the improvement.

Something to look forward to.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Been relegated to the rookie list, fair enough. Still think he’s lucky. It’s not an easily quantifiable list but I can’t think of too many players that spent 3 years on an AFL senior list without cracking it for a senior game, then get rookie listed that then go on to a successful AFL career.

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Been relegated to the rookie list, fair enough. Still think he’s lucky. It’s not an easily quantifiable list but I can’t think of too many players that spent 3 years on an AFL senior list without cracking it for a senior game, then get rookie listed that then go on to a successful AFL career.
True but this year has been a write off for second tier players with no VFL. From club reports, he did show positive signs in scratch matches but they barely count. Next year will tell the tale of the three year investment.

Reactions: 3 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
If you remember his history, due to his training circumstances he was a long way off the pace when we took him but the club saw his potential. He did start to show his worth the back end of 2019 and seems to have progressed in all areas of his game not least his versatility in 2020 plus the fact we haven't much of a stock in talls. It was just unfortunate that 2020 season was ruined but I believe he was an emergency at least once which sort of indicates he is about good to go. As a rookie he is not going to cost us a lot and it will give him a chance especially when you look what some of our rookies have given us over the last few seasons!

Reactions: 1 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Smalls get five minutes to prove they can play and talls get five years to prove they can't. Some old basketball saying rehashed.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
He,s got time to make it.
Not least because if he does reach AFL level then we will have shifted from Rance and Dave to Noah and Miller.... significant step up in speed.
It would be a big boon for our long term success

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Essentially just allows clubs to pay a few of their players less
Was Baker for example paid less than Cumberland?

Just get rid of the rookie list. The cat B makes sense but the other doesn't.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Essentially just allows clubs to pay a few of their players less

Or pay them the same and have part of the deal outside the salary cap. Look at what Carlton have done. They are not paying Betts any less.