Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 72: Ryan Garthwaite

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
The_General said:
How many games of experience does he have at the level?

They're basically hoping he contests and spoils and not much more. Hes not AFL ready to hold the defence himself. He has no Astbury or Rance for support and our midfield/half backs are turning things over faster than an account at tax time.

Give the kid a chance.

Good post and agree.

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
Lacks football basics. Yes he is young and inexperienced, but doesn’t seem to even do the basic fundamentals well. Doesn’t like body contact for a start, and can’t read the flight of the ball well or position himself correctly. Has no offensive capability, so if he can’t be an elite shut down defender, he has a limited future.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Baron Samedi said:
Poor post.

Rance was once a whipping boy too.

Go make some perspective toast.
Yep exactly.

No idea whether he will make it, but won't write him off after this year with a decimated backline/team.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Baron Samedi said:
Poor post.

Rance was once a whipping boy too.

Go make some perspective toast.

Maybe to nuff nuffs.

Garth will not make it has too few AFL traits. Huge heart and terrific kid but limited at this level.

RaoulJuke

Tiger Rookie
Sep 17, 2016
I was about to write a post that basically wrote him off. Then I thought I might just double check his age before I did. He is only 20, that's super young for any player to be having to be the #1 guy . Weitering is a #1 pick and 21 - who else is killing it as a key back at his age?

In saying that, he isnt AFL ready and if it wasn't for our injury crisis and a bit of a lack of depth down back - he wouldn't be playing seniors. He has a lot of flaws, including his positioning, composure and kicking ( all pretty important traits ). ID certainly keep him on the list, but he isn't AFL ready

E

easy_tiger

tough gig for the kid.

taking the No.1 seasoned gorilla every week.

yeah he's struggling, but anyone would.

hope it doesn't break him.

could become a good 3rd tall down there.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
MD Jazz said:
Maybe to nuff nuffs.

Garth will not make it has too few AFL traits. Huge heart and terrific kid but limited at this level.

Dude I’m not sure if you know what AFL traits are. You seem like a fraud to me.

Now, I am merely a terrace cretin, but even I know that it’s too early to make a call on Garth.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
easy said:
tough gig for the kid.

Given his height, yep.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Baron Samedi said:
Dude I’m not sure if you know what AFL traits are. You seem like a fraud to me.

Now, I am merely a terrace cretin, but even I know that it’s too early to make a call on Garth.

Cool. But with his height and lack of speed he’s up against it.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
easy said:
tough gig for the kid.

agree its a tough gig and he's battling manfully, but dunno, third tall needs to be more skilled IMO. Was generally better tonight but needs to one-grab more, take more marks, and hit more targets.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Did think after half time that Kmac could have gone back against Tex & Jenkins as it was obvious Garth was just not up to it at this time of his career.

E

easy_tiger

tigersnake said:
agree its a tough gig and he's battling manfully, but dunno, third tall needs to be more skilled IMO. Was generally better tonight but needs to one-grab more, take more marks, and hit more targets.

yeah, I did say could ;D

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
I think of Kolodashnji at Geelong, he got eased into it, and is a handy 3rd or 4th tall.

Garthwaite is only just into double figure games and is playing on the best.

He'll be ok

crackertiger

Swan street 2017
Jan 4, 2003
melbourne
Has had no preseason and has had to step into our number 1 defender role. Give him a break people. Our problem came from the ruck negative 40 hitouts.

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
He had no hope with the amount of inside 50s.

Reverse the supply the Crows had and see how he would have gone.

Our new whipping boy.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
The real problem lies with recruiting Aarts and Weller instead of tall defensive cover. Not with Garth. He battles hard every week in every contest.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
he is a clone of johnny Manton.
no chance will he be any good. have a look at the way he disposes the ball. did we recruit him from Cork?