Pick two young Tigers to make a big leap forward in 2024 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick two young Tigers to make a big leap forward in 2024

I like a lot of our kids so I can see a number of them coming on.

However I am going to pick two who we have seen are highly talented but need to get their heads right in Sonsie and Cumberland. Enormous upside with both of them.

I just get the feeling they are reacting positively to the change of coaching

Reactions: 7 users
I just get the feeling they are reacting positively to the change of cocoaching
x2 I'll back in the maligned duo. They are due to explode. I maintain Kosi will surprise everyone, IMO, but he's probably not considered "young" anymore given he's 23 (1 year shy of Coulthard, & 7 months shy of Ryan).

Reactions: 1 user
Easy.
If Trezise and Brown play at least 2 senior games, they would have doubled last year’s output.
Pencil them in for minimum 100% improvement

So hard to just pick 2! Very excited about seeing these kids develop at AFL & VFL levels next year. Overall though…..

Banks & Brown

Honourables to Tresize, Sons, Coulthard and Bauer

No one has mentioned Juddy?

Reactions: 2 users
The 2 blokes who will be re energised with Hardwick leaving for mine should be stepping it up and if they do it will help the side immensely.

THA SONZ and hopefully CUMBO.

The fact both have returned with some vigor and energy in good nick says a lot already,

Tylar Young will improve also which is an exciting prospect.

And I'm a big wrap for the COULT and for BAUER and I'm just hoping for the Gibbus to get and stay fit.

Brown, Banks, and Trezise will also feature in plenty of games.

Looking forward to seeing Smith and Seth Campbell on the park as they have some genuine skill and goal sense.

And I also reckon the new lad Mc Auliffe will impress and see senior footy in 2024. He looks to have a bit about him.

I have no idea.

But, out of a plethora of choices, I'll go for Coulthard and Trezise, they both looked close to the level and will benefit from a good pre-season, a new coach and hopefully some opportunities.

We look to have a decent set of youngsters and I still hold out hope for MRj, I well remember his father, just amazing.

DS

Cumberland and Rioli.

This is who I would nominate.

Cumberland has all the ability, and I think will really come along under a new coach.

Junior has been asked to play a role that is foreign to him. I expect him to become a solid player, which from what we have seen of him so far, will be a massive step forward.

RANKING THE YOUNG CORES OF ALL 18 AFL CLUBS IN 2024

BY SEN
30 November 2023

Which AFL teams have the best young cores in the league?

Some teams like North Melbourne, Gold Coast and Fremantle have a glut of players 23 and under on their list, while the likes of Geelong, Carlton and Collingwood less so given where they are at in their premiership windows.

We’ve gone through each team’s core of players 23 and under, ranked their top five and then ranked every team from 1 to 18 based on the above.

Our ranking from 1 to 18 of all the young cores listed above. The top fives were weighted heavily in these rankings, though depth 23-and-under was also considered.

NOTE: We are only including players who are 23 as of January 1st, 2024

1. Sydney
2. Gold Coast
3. Port Adelaide
4. Fremantle
5. Collingwood
6. North Melbourne
7. Adelaide
8. Hawthorn
9. St Kilda
10. GWS Giants
11. W. Bulldogs
12. Brisbane
13. Essendon
14. Geelong
15. Melbourne
16. Carlton
17. West Coast.

AFL_Club_banners_-_2022-10-12T153956.739.png

PLAYERS UNDER 24: Jack Ross (23), Rhyan Mansell (23), Jacob Koschitzke (23), Samson Ryan (22), Noah Cumberland (22), Matt Coulthard (22), Thomson Dow (22), Hugo Ralphsmith (22), Jacob Bauer (21), James Trezise (21), Maurice Rioli (21), Tyler Sonsie (20), Sam Banks (20), Josh Gibcus (20), Tom Brown (20), Judson Clarke (20), Steely Green (19), Kaleb Smith (19), Seth Campbell (18), Kane McAuliffe (18) and Liam Fawcett (18)

TOP 5: Josh Gibcus, Jack Ross, Samson Ryan, Judson Clarke, Thomson Dow.

Richmond’s youth stocks are quite hard to decipher.

The success of the club in recent times has somewhat stymied the development of a large chunk of their youngsters which has made it a tricky task in pulling together their top five.

While Noah Balta (who just ticked over 24 in October) finished seventh in the Jack Dyer Medal in 2023, their top best and fairest result of players under the age of 24 was Rhyan Mansell back in 20th spot.

Star Shai Bolton is also outside this list as he’s almost 25.

Jack Ross leads the way from a games perspective with 63. He showed a fair bit last year and is the player from this group that simply has to go to the next level in 2024.

There is a group of players around the 20-22 age bracket who could help the Tigers rebuild on the run, highlighted by Josh Gibcus who is the future of the club. His fellow 2021 draftees Tom Brown, Tyler Sonsie, Sam Banks and Judson Clarke hold the key to any success that comes in the next few years.

The Tigers would love to see the likes of Maurice Rioli Jnr, Thomson Dow, Samson Ryan, Noah Cumberland and Hugo Ralphsmith come on in 2024, while getting more games into shrewd acquisitions Matt Coulthard, Jacob Bauer, James Trezise and off-season recruit Jacob Koschitzke.

It’s a time of change for the Tigers under a new coach in Adem Yze. They have some top-end stars outside of this age scale, but just need plenty of contributions from this emerging group.

League ranking: 18th

- Andrew Slevison

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/11/30/ranking-the-young-cores-of-all-18-afl-clubs-in-2024/